Layout for odd house pattern

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

ModernGame

Layout for odd house pattern

Post by ModernGame »

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out our pattern for league this season. It almost seems like the inverse of a typical house shot with a lot of oil on the outside with little on the inside. Below are my stats and the balls with their respective layouts that I've tried to use with little to some succses:

PAP: 4.5 over, 0.5 Up
Rev rate: 450
Ball speed: 18.5 mph
Axis rotation: 55 degrees

Roto grip Hustle Ink xx-4.5-30 -- Hooks too much and too soon. If I move further left I usually cannot get enough length to get to the break point without going high. If I move my breakpoint further out then the ball may get to the pocket but it won't drive through.

Motiv Thrill xx-4-45 -- hooks too much and too soon as well. The only success i've had throwing this ball is if I move way left and try to hook the entire lane, but this line is difficult because if I hit that giant oil patch on the outside part of the lane, the ball won't make it back to the pocket. If I avoid that oil on the outside of the lane, the ball picks up too early because there is not enough oil on the inside.

DV8 tactic control xx-4.5-30 -- This is the only ball that gives me a consistent line to the pocket. However the same problem exists here; if I get the ball into that oil outside of board 7, it won't make it back. The urethane cover gives me the control I need to not over hook if I avoid that oil.

My layout question is this: would a low flare layout on a reactive ball help me find a more forgiving line to the pocket on these weird conditions? I have an undrilled Track Hx10 and was wondering if a 90-2.25-45 layout would help? or any other low flare layout.

Any help is appreciated.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Layout for odd house pattern

Post by TonyPR »

Thrill hooking to much and too soon... balls not coming back or hitting soft if you take them too outside at the breakpoint... sounds like you’re bowling on the Sahara desert. The reason the ball isn’t coming back as it should from the outside is most likely because of lack of oil and the ball is burning up. You have plenty of speed and your other specs seem reasonable. Polish the crap out of the Thrill and if you can take a walk and physically inspect the breakpoint to see if my no oil hypothesis is correct. Good luck!
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent