PAP Question

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

duvallite

PAP Question

Post by duvallite »

While practicing recently, I decided to measure my pap on the 3 balls I was using. I was surprised each one was different. Can the pap vary depending on the ball and layout? After throwing what I thought was a good release with each ball, I traced the first oil ring and then used my spinner at home to mark the pap and did the measurements to get the coordinates. Each ball is an asym and has slightly different pin up layouts. The DV8 has a P3 hole. Here is what I found:

Storm Sync: 4-3/4 x 1-7/8^
DV8 Nightmare: 4-1/2 x 2-3/16^
Storm Crux: 3-9/16 x 1-3/4^

The Crux pap is significantly different, and even though I “thought” I threw it normally, maybe I spun it a bit. My concern is that I’m going to be buying an Idol Pro online from Buddies when it’s released, and I want to have an accurate pap to give them for drilling. Not sure what to do.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: PAP Question

Post by elgavachon »

duvallite wrote:While practicing recently, I decided to measure my pap on the 3 balls I was using. I was surprised each one was different. Can the pap vary depending on the ball and layout? After throwing what I thought was a good release with each ball, I traced the first oil ring and then used my spinner at home to mark the pap and did the measurements to get the coordinates. Each ball is an asym and has slightly different pin up layouts. The DV8 has a P3 hole. Here is what I found:

Storm Sync: 4-3/4 x 1-7/8^
DV8 Nightmare: 4-1/2 x 2-3/16^
Storm Crux: 3-9/16 x 1-3/4^

The Crux pap is significantly different, and even though I “thought” I threw it normally, maybe I spun it a bit. My concern is that I’m going to be buying an Idol Pro online from Buddies when it’s released, and I want to have an accurate pap to give them for drilling. Not sure what to do.
The more asymmetrical the ball after drilling, the farther left the PAP (right hander). That is why Mo used a 30* VAL angle on a double thumb with the intent of having a 20* VAL post drilling. He always said to use a PAP measurement from a similar ball as the one you were drilling. You will have to factor in the layout you plan on using, also.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: PAP Question

Post by JohnP »

Go back to the lanes with an observer. Mark the PAP location on each ball and throw it with the observer watching carefully to be sure the tape is stationary when the ball hits the lanes. If it's not, adjust the tape position until it is. It's easy to miss the very first oil ring, especially if the lanes you're bowling on don't oil the first three feet or so. -- JohnP