Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

No-thumb thumb hole

Post by JohnP »

There are no limits on hole diameter or depth for gripping holes. What would happen for a no-thumb bowler if a huge diameter "thumb hole" (say, 1 1/2" or even larger) was drilled, pitching it in the direction the thumb lays on the ball (reverse and left for a right-hander)? First, would the release be as smooth as with the no-thumb grip, secondly how would the hole, which could be any depth, affect the ball's roll? Remember, the thumb would have to be in this hole on every release. If nothing else it would set the psa for a symmetrical ball. -- JohnP
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Re: No-thumb thumb hole

Post by snick »

This is more or less a Detroit Half-thumb. Works well and gives the bowler more control, as well as providing a more predictable axis migration path. The downside is that many thumbless players have high tracks, and may roll over it.

BTW, I absolutely disagree with the current no-thumb equipment rules. Every bowler should be able to have a thumbhole drilled. The thumbhole is a balance hole and high RG axis, regardless of how you deliver the ball. Once the thumb exits the ball, we are all "thumbless" bowlers.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: No-thumb thumb hole

Post by JohnP »

With the Detroit half-thumbers I've drilled for (just a couple) the thumb hole is used to grip. My thoughts on the huge thumb hole is not to use it to grip, just let it lay inside of the hole instead of outside. The track should be about the same as without the hole. Also, the small half-thumb wouldn't have nearly the affect on dynamics. -- JohnP