Positive Axis Point: 7 1/2 - 1 1/8 ^
Speed: 16.5
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Conspiracy
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Fortera
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Hydra
Preferred Company: TRACK

Completely Lost With Layouts...

Post by JBAOKWE »

I have been bowling for about 3-4 years. My average has stayed relatively the same with slight increases every year from around 210-212 average the first year to around 218-223 averages the last couple years. Although my mental and physical game has improved, I am still being severely handicapped by my inability to find any layouts that work consistently for me.

I throw from behind the ball a lot and many people think I do not have my thumb in the ball (although I do, but it is only about half-way in). I throw 16 lb ball around 16.5 speed so maybe slightly above avg speed and with above avg revs as well. I squeeze the ball with my hand while I throw. I have used equipment made for 3/4 track players and some of it works very well and some balls with the same layout do nothing. I have used lefty drilled equipment (I'm right handed) and was able to outhook them with their own ball easily. And other lefty layouts do nothing. I track VERY high, just to the left of my middle finger and just to the left of my thumb hole.

Because of my very high track I copied a full roller layout from Tom Smallwood on his Katana Slash. This layout has worked very well for me but the ball tracks laterally through my fingers. I'm interested in drilling more balls with the full roller layout but am not sure if I should be tracking this way or how to keep adjusting the full roller drilling to strengthen/weaken the ball.

I have used a layout from Mo for high tracking players (http://www.strikeitrichproshop.com/basic-ball-layouts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to use for heavy forward roll and in heavy oil and the ball wont even slightly hook for me. What I have figured out is that standard layouts are at best inconsistent for me but am lost at what to do now. My benchmark ball is slightly stronger than neutral lefty drilled ball. My main tournament ball for anything over 38' is a full roller ball. Anything and everything works and at the same time nothing seems to work. Any help is appreciated (sorry for the extremely long post)
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Completely Lost With Layouts...

Post by EricHartwell »

Welcome to BowlingChat

While you description of your bowling style paints a picture, more specific information is needed to properly determine layouts for you.

Check out his link for the needed information.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

I can sympathize with your frustrations. I also track high, and have been working on adding tilt and moving my track away from fingers and thumb. It's been fairly successful through practice, getting physically stronger, experimenting with span/pitches.

My experience is that with your low tilt (and I'm assuming) fairly low rotation, your ball is reading friction early, losing energy and behaving inconsistently. Layouts that produce more length may help. Matching up surface. Having more versatility with hand position at release.

Personally, I would stay away from the full roller layouts - because I don't ever want to roll over the fingers or thumb. When it happens, the ball rolls very inconsistently for me. Thump, thump, thump. I would be wary of the midlane layouts. You probably don't need help reading the midlane, unless it's higher volume. I'd use more surface.

Stay on top of transition, make sure you're seeing wet oil rings on the ball and work on hand positions to increase tilt and versatility. Provide accurate stats as Eric has asked for and I'm sure you'll get some good advice regarding layouts.

I recently drilled some syms using Mo's latest guidelines for low tilt bowlers and love the results. This means shorter pin to PAP than I'm used to with smaller VAL angles. The new shape (compared to my control layouts) takes a little getting used to, but the carry has been great.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
JBAOKWE

Post by JBAOKWE »

I appreciate any help and input guys. It looks as though I bowl with no thumb so I've started looking into different layouts for thumbless bowlers as well. I usually swing the ball a little more and go about 20-8 on a house/league shot, this was simply to get on video my release. I have equipment that works right now and as I've said I'm a 220+ on league and most tournaments and ~210 on sport shots but I want to be able to buy something new and know what layout is going to work and what won't because I want to be 220-225+ on sport shots as my goal.
Last edited by JBAOKWE on June 17th, 2019, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBAOKWE

Post by JBAOKWE »

stevespo wrote:Personally, I would stay away from the full roller layouts - because I don't ever want to roll over the fingers or thumb. When it happens, the ball rolls very inconsistently for me. Thump, thump, thump. I would be wary of the midlane layouts.
Appreciate the response, this is why it has been weird for me because my full roller does track right over the fingers but it is VERY consistent even at Nationals it was able to cut through the oil and keep a consistent break point to stay around 190s every game. If I go over my thumb hole with any ball I get that crazy inconsistency but haven't with the FRoller layout and going through fingers for some reason. I'm also wondering where I would move the layout around to move my track right above the fingers or so it wont track through my fingers... Would the only way to figure this out just experiment on a bunch of balls and layouts? This is the layout I copied for my ball.
https://twitter.com/radicalbowling/stat ... 7328451586
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

If you get your stats Eric can give you layouts that shouldn’t track over holes
Stacy
stevespo
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

Rolling over the fingers is definitely not the end of the world. Some layouts will do that for me, and I have a thumbless teammate who always tracks over the fingers. Rolling over the thumb has been a real reaction killer for me, tho.

What type of ball do you have the full roller on? Is it a low flaring layout, and where is the bowtie? I really like the low flare layouts on weaker sym cores with medium/strong covers. Pin in/over ring finger, 75x5x50 or so. I do use some stronger asyms, but like the shape and smoother reaction the syms give me. Just my 2 cents.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
JBAOKWE

Post by JBAOKWE »

Honestly I've only been really getting mentally into bowling the last 4-5 months so a lot of the stuff I will have more answers for when I video myself tomorrow bowling to get all the stats like tilt and revs and stuff. I've looked up how to do it but have never figured it out for my own shot.

I don't even know where my bowtie is because all it really does is show a small ~2 inch flare right to the side of my ring finger. I'm also not sure if it is a high flaring layout or not because it is full roller, I don't know if the link I put of the picture can help you figure out if it is high flaring or not? My FR ball is a Brunswick Intrigue Fortera so it is a high flaring Asym ball. But no equipment really flares much for me the way I throw or maybe it is the layouts.

If this helps at all, I normally track just to the left of my middle finger and just to the left of my thumb. When I tried this layout (the picture attached) my track changed to further left away from the finger holes but going to the right and into my thumb hole. And that ball does not move at all. Was going to try keeping the pin to the right and maybe a little higher and moving PSA closer to thumb. I don't mind experimenting but it is getting costly the more I do it.

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, I am trying to get all of the stats and stuff to make it easier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

A full roller track starts left the middle finger and right of the thumbhole and with conventional layouts it flares over both holes. The full roller layout causes the track to flare counter-clockwise, so it will flare away from both the middle finger and thumb.

Using a full roller layout for a high 3/4 roller may result in the track flaring over the thumbhole.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

JBAOKWE wrote:Honestly I've only been really getting mentally into bowling the last 4-5 months so a lot of the stuff I will have more answers for when I video myself tomorrow bowling to get all the stats like tilt and revs and stuff. I've looked up how to do it but have never figured it out for my own shot.

I don't even know where my bowtie is because all it really does is show a small ~2 inch flare right to the side of my ring finger. I'm also not sure if it is a high flaring layout or not because it is full roller, I don't know if the link I put of the picture can help you figure out if it is high flaring or not? My FR ball is a Brunswick Intrigue Fortera so it is a high flaring Asym ball. But no equipment really flares much for me the way I throw or maybe it is the layouts.

If this helps at all, I normally track just to the left of my middle finger and just to the left of my thumb. When I tried this layout (the picture attached) my track changed to further left away from the finger holes but going to the right and into my thumb hole. And that ball does not move at all. Was going to try keeping the pin to the right and maybe a little higher and moving PSA closer to thumb. I don't mind experimenting but it is getting costly the more I do it.

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, I am trying to get all of the stats and stuff to make it easier.
Knowing your release specs Speed off the hand, RPM's off the hand, Rotation, Tilt and PAP is the key to not wasting time and money trying to get good, predictable ball reactions.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What ball or balls are you currently using?
Matching up specific balls to layouts also needs to be considered.

The Layout you had the attachment for is a Strong High flaring layout. This type of layout will flare in the air and start the oil lines further away from your grip. What this does is change the PAP location for determining high flaring layouts.

Find your PAP location then work from there figuring out your release specs by rolling a ball with the PAP marked.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
JBAOKWE

Post by JBAOKWE »

So the full roller layouts (Rad. Conspiracy & Fortera Intrigue) definitely have betrayed me when I get into more volumes of oil. The oil over the fingers has caused it I think to not be able to create any breakpoint at all. I never had issues in oil on other layouts before these.

I need to get my tilt and rotation still.. but some specs I have figured are
Speed - 2.35 seconds (~ 17.8mph)
Revs - 480
PAP - 7 1/2 - 1 1/8 up

The only regular drilled ball (Track 930T - older but lightly used) I have that fits into a decent pin to pap range is the aggressive layout for high track players and it is 80 x 3 1/2 x 65. And this ball BARELY moves for me.
My benchmark ball (Columbia Swerve FX) is slightly left handed drilled and hooks much more and it is 115 x 6 5/8 x 40.

I was told a good layout for me would be 60 x 4" x 35. So any other suggestions?
And anyone have ideas why the "aggressive layout" is so weak for me?
JBAOKWE

Post by JBAOKWE »

Here are some specs:

Right Handed
Speed - 2.35 seconds from hand to pins (~ 17.8mph)
Revs - 480
PAP - 7 1/2 - 1 1/8 up, from center grip
Axis Rotation - 60 degrees
Axis Tilt - (-10)
Even (not speed or rev dominant)

Mostly synthetic lanes. Need layouts for early reading, mid lane movement, and for long and strong motion.

Any help is appreciated..
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

JBAOKWE wrote:Here are some specs:

Right Handed
Revs - 480
Axis Tilt - (-10)

Mostly synthetic lanes. Need layouts for early reading, mid lane movement, and for long and strong motion.

Looks like you are an over-rolled full roller. Here is the thread for you to learn about it.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

Right Handed
Revs - 480
Axis Tilt - (-10)

This is a Prime example of what it called an Over-Rolled Full Roller.

There are only a few layouts that will be flare safe. Kind of like the classic full rollers, but different.
Using surface prep is more important to tune ball roll in these cases.

I will figure out a good couple of layouts for you to work with when I have a fresh mind.

Please post video of your ball roll with your PAP marked.
There is such little documentation of the negative tilt bowler and I see more and more of them these days. Just no video to study. The ones I see are not using drillings that optimize their ball roll at all.
Once i give you some layouts to work with follow up video would be awesome as well.
Last edited by EricHartwell on June 26th, 2019, 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
JBAOKWE

Post by JBAOKWE »

I really appreciate the help. Thank you guys
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Mo says all the rules still apply (Val Angle/ Drilling Angle/ Pin to PAP distance) ;Therefore, you can use all the layouts that fit your specs. The easiest way that I have found is to layout the ball as if you were a lefthander. Use you horizontal and vertical measurements, but before you add lines for thumb and fingers, turn the ball upside down (this will put the fingers up and thumb down, with the pin and PSA to the right of the center of grip. Use the ratios and layouts which fit you specs. It is much easier to drill for the over-rolled full roller now with the 3 oz rule in effect for all sides of the ball.

It will look like ball in post #13 of the thread I gave you: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JBAOKWE

Post by JBAOKWE »

elgavachon wrote:Mo says all the rules still apply (Val Angle/ Drilling Angle/ Pin to PAP distance) ;Therefore, you can use all the layouts that fit your specs. The easiest way that I have found is to layout the ball as if you were a lefthander. Use you horizontal and vertical measurements, but before you add lines for thumb and fingers, turn the ball upside down (this will put the fingers up and thumb down, with the pin and PSA to the right of the center of grip. Use the ratios and layouts which fit you specs. It is much easier to drill for the over-rolled full roller now with the 3 oz rule in effect for all sides of the ball.

It will look like ball in post #13 of the thread I gave you: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So I would use my specs but drill it as a lefty with the same specs, correct? Then flip it. So it would look something like this picture, but the PSA and pin would be in each other's spot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

Right Handed
Revs - 480
Axis Tilt - (-10)

Sweetspot 110* Total, 2:1 Ratio

Asymmetrical Layouts
Totally Strong ............. 65-4.5-25
Midlane ..................... 55-4-35
Benchmark ................ 75-4-35
Long and strong ......... 90-3.75-35
Control ...................... 75-3.5-55
low flare .................... 90-2-35

Symmetrical Layouts
Benchmartk ............... xx-4.25-30
Control ...................... xx-4.5-50
low flare .................... xx-5-30

Utilize elgavachon's explaination to apply these layouts.
They are going to look like upside down left handed layouts.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand