Thumbless Bowler Stats

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

Thumbless Bowler Stats

Post by Glenn »

I had a discussion with a grip-and-rip, thumb-less bowler the other nite. He was complaining about his Code Black rolling over the finger holes, and needing to find a Pro Shop that would actually watch how he bowled. Visually, the ball appeared to be a 3+ inch pin, fingers just under the pin, and a smallish balance hole about 6 inches down on what would be the center line. He felt the fingers should be moved down much closer to the CG.

In talking with him, I realized that I was uncertain how to go about pulling the bowler stats from such an existing layout that has no thumb and no measurable Grip Center. With the way the ball was drilled, I am GUESSING that his PAP is 5 over and 1 up (really don't know and neither did he).

So, what is the process for gathering his stats from this ball?

Thanks.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Thumbless Bowler Stats

Post by TonyPR »

Use center of bridge as the center of grip, get his PAP from that. If you draw a line from his ring finger to his PAP and keep the pin above that line you shouldn’t have a problem with flaring over the holes.

Now, it depends on how he’s releasing the ball, if he’s releasing the ball too far in front this could also cause the track to initially hit the fingers. If he post’s video in the coaching section we can probably help with any aspect of his physical game that could be causing this.

Finally, with bowler specs (rpms, speed, tilt and rotation) we can recommend layouts.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Glenn

Re: Thumbless Bowler Stats

Post by Glenn »

Tony,

Thanks for the quick response. For some reason, I had it in my mind that I needed to come down the center line some distance to get an imaginary grip center - duh. Add this in bold print to my notes!
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."