New Arsenal Thinking

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Olias

New Arsenal Thinking

Post by Olias »

I am thinking through an update to my arsenal given my reading/research over the last few weeks and I would appreciate some feedback from the group here. I am taking it from a blank sheet of paper perspective. Once I know what I want to do, I can then work towards adding/replacing them over time based on priorities – major omission in a shape first, modify/refresh a ball because of the balance hole rules, etc.

I am mostly familiar with the Storm/Rotogrip line so that is where I will start equipment-wise but I am not dedicated it them. In the past I have used and liked some Brunswick equipment as well (especially the Absolute Inferno). If you have thoughts on other equipment…great, would love to hear it. It would be even better if you say why you suggest it, not just “ball X is great.” There is a lot of good equipment out there.

Goal: 5 ball + polyester spare ball arsenal for general use + 1-2 specialty balls for sport conditions.

Starting point – my stats:
Hand: Right
PAP: 4-7/8 right, 1/2 up
Rotation: 50*-55*
Tilt 15*
Rev Rate ~325
Speed Off hand: ~17mph from video frame counting to arrows.
Monitors typically show 15-15.5 mph

From my reading, I think that my base starting point would be 95 totals, 1.5 ratio (Dual Angle Method). Based on that base starting point…

Benchmark: ## x 4 x 33 (Round to 50 x 4 x 35) - The base numbers for an asymmetric are 57 x 38, but I am fairly happy with my benchmark current benchmark ball which is a midrange solid symmetrical – IQ Tour. ## will not matter being a symmetrical ball, so I am assuming 50*. VAL adjusted -5 for a symmetrical ball.

Mid Lane: 38 x 5 x 38 (round to 40 x 5 x 40) – Traction ball to read earlier and arc. Thinking a strong cover solid asymmetric … Crux Prime or Halo.

Totally Strong: 50 x 5 x 25 (or maybe 30) – Put on a ball that gets down the lane a little more than the mid-lane ball but still reads a little before quick movement on the back end. Thinking a strong covered pearl like a Halo Pearl.

Control: ## x 4 x 53 (round to 50 x 4 x 55). Thinking a low to mid-range solid to put it on. Something that will not go crazy on mid-lighter volume patterns. Can also be a step down ball later in a session if the pattern degrades and a pearl is squirty. Thinking a Roto Hustle INK.

Long and Strong: ## x 4 x 38 (round to 50 x 4 x 40). For getting down the lane on lighter volume or need to get left when they are burned up – Hy-Road or Hy-Road Pearl.

Medium Sport: ## x 2.75 x 40 on a symmetrical ball. This is a recommendation off a page on the Wiki. I am doing everything going forward without balance holes. It recommends a P3 hole. One thought is to maybe just slightly roughen the surface down one step to get the ball to read earlier would do something to replace the balance hole. For me a benchmark type medium symmetric for sport that would fit the bill is something like Phaze 2.

Thoughts from the experts?
Any other specialty “must haves?”

Olias
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: New Arsenal Thinking

Post by EricHartwell »

Olias wrote:I am thinking through an update to my arsenal given my reading/research over the last few weeks and I would appreciate some feedback from the group here. I am taking it from a blank sheet of paper perspective. Once I know what I want to do, I can then work towards adding/replacing them over time based on priorities – major omission in a shape first, modify/refresh a ball because of the balance hole rules, etc.

I am mostly familiar with the Storm/Rotogrip line so that is where I will start equipment-wise but I am not dedicated it them. In the past I have used and liked some Brunswick equipment as well (especially the Absolute Inferno). If you have thoughts on other equipment…great, would love to hear it. It would be even better if you say why you suggest it, not just “ball X is great.” There is a lot of good equipment out there.

Goal: 5 ball + polyester spare ball arsenal for general use + 1-2 specialty balls for sport conditions.

Starting point – my stats:
Hand: Right
PAP: 4-7/8 right, 1/2 up
Rotation: 50*-55*
Tilt 15*
Rev Rate ~325
Speed Off hand: ~17mph from video frame counting to arrows.
Monitors typically show 15-15.5 mph

From my reading, I think that my base starting point would be 95 totals, 1.5 ratio (Dual Angle Method). Based on that base starting point…

Benchmark: ## x 4 x 33 (Round to 50 x 4 x 35) - The base numbers for an asymmetric are 57 x 38, but I am fairly happy with my benchmark current benchmark ball which is a midrange solid symmetrical – IQ Tour. ## will not matter being a symmetrical ball, so I am assuming 50*. VAL adjusted -5 for a symmetrical ball.
Symmetrical Benchmark 75-4-35 The 75* drilling angle is measured to the thumbhole.

Mid Lane: 38 x 5 x 38 (round to 40 x 5 x 40) – Traction ball to read earlier and arc. Thinking a strong cover solid asymmetric … Crux Prime or Halo.
I suggest a 4.5" pin to PAP for the more arcing shape, 5" pin to PAP will cause the ball to roll forward too quickly.

Totally Strong: 50 x 5 x 25 (or maybe 30) – Put on a ball that gets down the lane a little more than the mid-lane ball but still reads a little before quick movement on the back end. Thinking a strong covered pearl like a Halo Pearl.

Control: ## x 4 x 53 (round to 50 x 4 x 55). Thinking a low to mid-range solid to put it on. Something that will not go crazy on mid-lighter volume patterns. Can also be a step down ball later in a session if the pattern degrades and a pearl is squirty. Thinking a Roto Hustle INK.
Symmetrical Control will be pin in the ring finger 83-4.6-53 again the drilling angle measured to the thumbhole

Long and Strong: ## x 4 x 38 (round to 50 x 4 x 40). For getting down the lane on lighter volume or need to get left when they are burned up – Hy-Road or Hy-Road Pearl.
Rounding to 40* would be for an Asymmetrical. I suggest 35* VAL for a Symmetrical.

Medium Sport: ## x 2.75 x 40 on a symmetrical ball. This is a recommendation off a page on the Wiki. I am doing everything going forward without balance holes. It recommends a P3 hole. One thought is to maybe just slightly roughen the surface down one step to get the ball to read earlier would do something to replace the balance hole. For me a benchmark type medium symmetric for sport that would fit the bill is something like Phaze 2.
For your idea the drilling angle to the thumb is 78-2.75-40, The larger drilling angle is going to delay the core reaction making it jumpy on the back end. Sport conditions usually have double stripped backend and having the core react after the pattern length will amplify the reaction even more.
I would recommend an Asym pin in the ring finger 30-4.5-53 and have the option to drill the fingers deeper to reduce the differentials if it rolls too soon.

Thoughts from the experts?
Any other specialty “must haves?”

Olias
Comments in color above

I commend you on your layout calculations. You displayed an excellent understanding of the Dual Angle System.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand