35%
Remain the same
53%

Total votes: 17

b3y0nd3r
Preferred Company: motiv

Layouts are critical!

Post by b3y0nd3r »

According to Mo's new no thumb layout video(which I watched at least a dozen times), he stresses that "layouts are critical". He is absolutely right and they always have been. My question for you to ponder is, If we focus on proper layouts and given the complex nature of applying layouts, do you predict bowling scores will:
vicsmyth

Re: Layouts are critical!

Post by vicsmyth »

I voted "the same" because I do not feel that layouts are as critical to my game as I can do far more with my hand position and delivery to shape a ball. Ball choice (polished pearl, hybrid with surface, etc.) would be the second factor. Layouts are at the bottom of my list.
nwohbowler
Positive Axis Point: 6 x 1
Speed: 17 foul line
Rev Rate: 440
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by nwohbowler »

I went with scores increasing. If applied correctly and multiple balls are drilled with correct layouts for different conditions then scores would go up. That's of course based on ideal conditions. Realistically, they would probably stay relatively the same.
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Axis point 6 3/16" and 1" up
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

scores will increase if the ball revs-up in the right part of the lane.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
b3y0nd3r

Post by b3y0nd3r »

So I voted scores will drop(the only one so far). My reasons are as follows:

Reliance on balance holes:

Those that have relied on balance holes for years and years will have trouble adjusting. Ball reaction will have an initial learning curve which will produce the drop in scores and some may not recover.

PSO ability:

There will be some PSOs that do not have the pure skill to make the proper adjustments so that the ball will react like it should. Case in point, When I first got my purple Hammer drilled, I trusted the PSO to know what I want since he already drilled several balls for me. Well the layout he drilled made the ball hook so much I could never get to the right side(i'm right handed).

Just my 2 cents.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

b3y0nd3r wrote:So I voted scores will drop(the only one so far). My reasons are as follows:

Reliance on balance holes:

Those that have relied on balance holes for years and years will have trouble adjusting. Ball reaction will have an initial learning curve which will produce the drop in scores and some may not recover.

PSO ability:

There will be some PSOs that do not have the pure skill to make the proper adjustments so that the ball will react like it should. Case in point, When I first got my purple Hammer drilled, I trusted the PSO to know what I want since he already drilled several balls for me. Well the layout he drilled made the ball hook so much I could never get to the right side(i'm right handed).

Just my 2 cents.
The core is so weak in the Purple Hammer layout almost does not matter. The cover being so strong and aggressive is probably the reason the ball hooked too much for you. 500 grit on a house shot is ridiculous.

What was the layout on it and did you have it re-drilled?
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
delbowler
THS Average: 165
Speed: 15-16 launch via Specto
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: ????
Medium Oil Ball: ???
Light Oil Ball: Track Triton
Preferred Company: ???

Post by delbowler »

Layouts won't help bad bowlers (me) and good ones already adjust off the reactions they get, so I don't see how theoretical optimal layouts will help in any significant way.
"Just put 3 holes in it, I'll make it work." Pete Weber
nwohbowler
Positive Axis Point: 6 x 1
Speed: 17 foul line
Rev Rate: 440
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by nwohbowler »

delbowler wrote:Layouts won't help bad bowlers (me) and good ones already adjust off the reactions they get, so I don't see how theoretical optimal layouts will help in any significant way.
That's not fully accurate. Sure, it won't make a bad bowler suddenly good, but it can still help them. And no matter how good you are, if a ball is drilled wrong, you won't score as well as if you had a ball that is drilled correctly.
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Axis point 6 3/16" and 1" up
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
b3y0nd3r

Post by b3y0nd3r »

EricHartwell wrote: The core is so weak in the Purple Hammer layout almost does not matter. The cover being so strong and aggressive is probably the reason the ball hooked too much for you. 500 grit on a house shot is ridiculous.

What was the layout on it and did you have it re-drilled
?
He said he had a layout sheet for no thumbers and he used one from that. The pin was all the way on the side so when I held the ball, the core was laying on it's side. It hooked so strong(but I throw with a low MPH). I had him redrill with a standard pin up close between the two finger holes. Now, unless I rev the hell out of it, it won't move in THS conditions, which is what I wanted it for(dry conditions not THS).

Last night I took the Purple hammer and my Shadow ops(what a powerful ball at 16 lbs!!!) out for some practice.

167-SO
Changed release
182-SO
186-SO

116-PH
147-PH
Changed release
234-PH
186-PH

I have three different types of releases I can use.