Pin to PAP variations on symmetricals

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Posts: 466
Joined: March 13th, 2014, 5:33 am
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Pin to PAP variations on symmetricals

Post by Mongo » February 6th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I want to play with a lower flare layout on a symmetrical, but had a question for the group.

When is a shorter pin to PAP (say 2") distance more desirable than a longer (5") one?
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.

User avatar
MegaMav
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4475
Joined: April 27th, 2007, 5:00 am
THS Average: 230
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 4 15/16 Over 3/8 Up
Speed: 15.25 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - The Closer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswck - Method Solid
Light Oil Ball: DV8 - Poison Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies
Location: Malta, NY

Re: Pin to PAP variations on symmetricals

Post by MegaMav » February 6th, 2019, 8:31 pm

I go high tilt players with short pin to pap's because the ball will rev up sooner and be more front to back.
Lower tilt players I go longer because it takes longer for the ball to rev up, ball motion is more left to right.
“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh

User avatar
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Posts: 466
Joined: March 13th, 2014, 5:33 am
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Re: Pin to PAP variations on symmetricals

Post by Mongo » February 6th, 2019, 8:52 pm

MegaMav wrote:I go high tilt players with short pin to pap's because the ball will rev up sooner and be more front to back.
Lower tilt players I go longer because it takes longer for the ball to rev up, ball motion is more left to right.
So, if I'm looking to keep angles tighter and keep downlane motion smoother, a shorter pin to PAP would be the way to go, correct?
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.

User avatar
MegaMav
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4475
Joined: April 27th, 2007, 5:00 am
THS Average: 230
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 4 15/16 Over 3/8 Up
Speed: 15.25 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - The Closer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswck - Method Solid
Light Oil Ball: DV8 - Poison Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies
Location: Malta, NY

Re: Pin to PAP variations on symmetricals

Post by MegaMav » February 6th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Short is front to back, long is left to right.
“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh

User avatar
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Posts: 466
Joined: March 13th, 2014, 5:33 am
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Re: Pin to PAP variations on symmetricals

Post by Mongo » February 9th, 2019, 1:20 pm

MegaMav wrote:Short is front to back, long is left to right.
Short and sweet. I like it. Thx.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.

Post Reply