How do you design an arsenal for various ball releases?

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Deerehunter
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4 by 1 3/8
Speed: 17-18 mph at release
Rev Rate: 210
Axis Tilt: 18*
Axis Rotation: 55*

How do you design an arsenal for various ball releases?

Post by Deerehunter »

Greetings:

As I prepare to update my arsenal for the post balance hole era, I am curious how those who change their release specs for versatility design an arsenal. I just measured my specs again and came up with the following:
Speed: 17 - 18.5 off hand (camera frames to the arrows). Default speed is 17.5. What feels like slowing down a lot results in 17 mph. At 18.5 mph I really struggle with throwing the ball instead of rolling it.
RPM: 200 - 220 (1+ revs per 10 camera frames).
Axis rotation: 40 - 70 degrees. 55* and 70* is repeatable. 40* consistently will require work. I videoed a couple near 0 but that is very shaky.
Axis tilt: 15 - 20* I have not attempted to vary this.

Questions:
1) Is your arsenal designed for a preferred set of specs (A game) or are different balls designed with different release specs in mind?
2) Do you work toward making your A game release specs the average of all your changes so that balls are more effective when used at the extremes of releases?
3) How much do you vary your release specs and how repeatable are the various releases?
4) Is there a system to maximize arsenal layouts to the versatility of ones game or are release variations learned to maximize the potential of various layouts (ie learning two release specs to use 40 x 4 x 40 as control and mid lane)?
5) Is the preferred system to make adjustments to your release specs on a case by case basis depending on what is needed for a specific condition?
6) I know my potential adjustments are minor, what do I need to work on to increase my versatility as a bowler?

These are questions that I ponder as I consider life without balance holes. Thank you for any input.

Kevin

Left hand, 195 ave., 5 1/4 x 1 3/8 up, 17.5 mph off hand, 210 rpm (measured in 10 camera frames), 18* axis tilt, 55* axis rotation.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: How do you design an arsenal for various ball releases?

Post by EricHartwell »

Deerehunter wrote:Greetings:

As I prepare to update my arsenal for the post balance hole era, I am curious how those who change their release specs for versatility design an arsenal. I just measured my specs again and came up with the following:
Speed: 17 - 18.5 off hand (camera frames to the arrows). Default speed is 17.5. What feels like slowing down a lot results in 17 mph. At 18.5 mph I really struggle with throwing the ball instead of rolling it.
RPM: 200 - 220 (1+ revs per 10 camera frames).
Axis rotation: 40 - 70 degrees. 55* and 70* is repeatable. 40* consistently will require work. I videoed a couple near 0 but that is very shaky.
Axis tilt: 15 - 20* I have not attempted to vary this.

Questions:
1) Is your arsenal designed for a preferred set of specs (A game) or are different balls designed with different release specs in mind? Setting up the arsenal for the A game is easiest. This is the reason there is a range usually +/- 20* on the Totals and +/-.5 on the Ratio.
Physical adjustments can effectively make those ranges even larger.

2) Do you work toward making your A game release specs the average of all your changes so that balls are more effective when used at the extremes of releases? If you are able to adjust every aspect of your release independently from all the others then that would be the optimum
3) How much do you vary your release specs and how repeatable are the various releases?
I can vary speed rev rotation and tilt to a limited extent. The further away from the A game any one of those get for me the less accurate my game is
4) Is there a system to maximize arsenal layouts to the versatility of ones game or are release variations learned to maximize the potential of various layouts (ie learning two release specs to use 40 x 4 x 40 as control and mid lane)? The Dual angle method allows you to know what physical adjustments are going to do to your reactions. I use the Dual Angle Ratio Guide to analyse this.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... atio_Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5) Is the preferred system to make adjustments to your release specs on a case by case basis depending on what is needed for a specific condition? I don't know of a method per se. Quite often natural athletes will make subconscious adjustments based on what they saw in the ball motion. Others have to think about what an adjustment will do for the reaction
6) I know my potential adjustments are minor, what do I need to work on to increase my versatility as a bowler? Knowing what ball to switch to if physical adjustments are not producing the strikes. Knowing ones limitations and knowing what ball options you have available.
Being consistent in your release and being able to reproduce a consistent release is something I think everybody can work on. A consistent release allows you to make moves and adjustments or ball changes based on changing conditions not making changes based on erroneous throws and being honest with yourself thinking you made a good shot when actually you didn't.

These are questions that I ponder as I consider life without balance holes. Thank you for any input.

Kevin

Left hand, 195 ave., 5 1/4 x 1 3/8 up, 17.5 mph off hand, 210 rpm (measured in 10 camera frames), 18* axis tilt, 55* axis rotation.
Comments in color above

Take a good look at the Dual Angle Ratio guide and systematically see what different adjustments would do to the reaction
example...
17* tilt med Rotation, matched speed to revs. 1.25:1 Ratio. To get a similar reaction with higher rotation the ratio changes to 1:1 to get the "Benchmark reaction of 1.25:1 otherwise the higher rotation will give you more skid length and a stronger back end more of a long and strong reaction with a 1.75:1 ratio.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand