Board index » General Forums » Layout Advice




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: VAL angle question
 Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:02 pm Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: August 7, 2017
Posts: 136
Location: Lake Geneva WI
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
I'm not sure if this question is to vague, but wanted to get opinions on it.
Most of my equipment is drilled with val angles between 20-35 with no x hole. I find most of these balls to just be too snappy for the house shot conditions I bowl on. That being said would the suggestion be to increase these angles, or change pin to PAP? Equipment that is too snappy is in the 3 3/4" to 5 1/2" PTP on both symm and asymm.

_________________
-Knowledge is power-
PAP-5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Speed-14-15mph on monitor
Rev-325rpm
Tilt-10*
Rotation-70*-90*


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VAL angle question
 Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:52 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Offline
Certified Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 4, 2010
Posts: 376
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Reputation: 231
Reputation Power: 3
You might want to try a control layout for the THS, 65 x 4” x 55 for an asymm ball or pin in ring finger for a symm ball.

_________________
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VAL angle question
 Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:04 am Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts
User avatar

Joined: April 4, 2011
Posts: 3558
Location: Michigan
Reputation: 350
Reputation Power: 4
Lledsmarttam wrote:
I'm not sure if this question is to vague, but wanted to get opinions on it.
Most of my equipment is drilled with val angles between 20-35 with no x hole. I find most of these balls to just be too snappy for the house shot conditions I bowl on. That being said would the suggestion be to increase these angles, or change pin to PAP? Equipment that is too snappy is in the 3 3/4" to 5 1/2" PTP on both symm and asymm.

It's a little vague.
I would want to know more specifically what ball, layout and surface prep.

I prefer Control layouts for the THS. These layouts are lower ratio with higher totals. The lower ratios produce larger VAL angles.

Your sweetspot is 100* Total and 1.75:1 Ratio,
Asymmetrical Benchmark ...........65-3.5-35
Control ................................... 65-3.5-55

I'm on the same page as deanchamp, but I have the pin to PAP shorter for a smoother reaction. Also a 4" pin to PAP will be very close to the edge of the ring finger. I would adjust away from the finger NOT in it for the Asym.

_________________
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VAL angle question
 Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:11 am Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: August 7, 2017
Posts: 136
Location: Lake Geneva WI
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
EricHartwell wrote:
It's a little vague.
I would want to know more specifically what ball, layout and surface prep.

I prefer Control layouts for the THS. These layouts are lower ratio with higher totals. The lower ratios produce larger VAL angles.

Your sweetspot is 100* Total and 1.75:1 Ratio,
Asymmetrical Benchmark ...........65-3.5-35
Control ................................... 65-3.5-55

I'm on the same page as deanchamp, but I have the pin to PAP shorter for a smoother reaction. Also a 4" pin to PAP will be very close to the edge of the ring finger. I would adjust away from the finger NOT in it for the Asym.


I have some balls that are 4 1/4"x55 pin in ring, all symm and these are usually what I'm throwing in league.
Pitch black @ 1000
Twist @ 3000

_________________
-Knowledge is power-
PAP-5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Speed-14-15mph on monitor
Rev-325rpm
Tilt-10*
Rotation-70*-90*


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VAL angle question
 Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:49 pm Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: August 7, 2017
Posts: 136
Location: Lake Geneva WI
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
EricHartwell wrote:
It's a little vague.
I would want to know more specifically what ball, layout and surface prep.

I prefer Control layouts for the THS. These layouts are lower ratio with higher totals. The lower ratios produce larger VAL angles.

Your sweetspot is 100* Total and 1.75:1 Ratio,
Asymmetrical Benchmark ...........65-3.5-35
Control ................................... 65-3.5-55

I'm on the same page as deanchamp, but I have the pin to PAP shorter for a smoother reaction. Also a 4" pin to PAP will be very close to the edge of the ring finger. I would adjust away from the finger NOT in it for the Asym.


Eric
Tenacity 55x5x35 OOB
Tremendous Pearl 70x3 3/4x20 OOB
Intel 3 3/4x20 OOB
Pyramid Curse 4x30 1000
Pyramid Curse 5.5x35 Polished
Pyramid Blood Moon Rising 60x5.5x35 Polished

_________________
-Knowledge is power-
PAP-5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Speed-14-15mph on monitor
Rev-325rpm
Tilt-10*
Rotation-70*-90*


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VAL angle question
 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:16 pm Post Number: #6 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts
User avatar

Joined: April 4, 2011
Posts: 3558
Location: Michigan
Reputation: 350
Reputation Power: 4
Lledsmarttam wrote:
Tenacity 55x5x35 OOB
Tremendous Pearl 70x3 3/4x20 OOB
Intel 3 3/4x20 OOB
Pyramid Curse 4x30 1000
Pyramid Curse 5.5x35 Polished
Pyramid Blood Moon Rising 60x5.5x35 Polished

Tenacity ................... drilled Totally Strong and will perform the best on longer conditions.

Tremendous Pearl ..... Skid snap type ball with a high ratio skid snap layout. I feel the layout over emphasizes the reaction making it a difficult ball to control. 75-3.5-35

Intel ........................ The hook zone in this layout is too short to effectively burn off your rotation and it burns tilt too quickly.
It looks like an an attempt to make it a skid snap reaction but the ball is about control. This one in my opinion should have a Control layout xx-4.25-55 pin in the ring finger.

Pyramid Curses.......... I like the 2 ball set up you have with them. 1000 grit is a bit aggressive of a surface for what I bowl on in leagues. I like to use a little less surface trying to preserve the condition a little bit. I would either keep these in the arsenal or if you are going to replace them a similar set up would serve you well.

Blood Moon Rising ......I see what you did with the as the 3rd ball in the group with the Curses.
I think the 5.5" pin to PAP affects your carry negatively, causing the ball to burn off what little tilt you have too quickly. I would not recommend a Pin to PAP longer than 5" on Asyms for you.
I would have gone 80-4.75-35. fwiw

This is how I would re-organize your arsenal from strongest to weakest...

Tenacity 55x5x35 OOB
Pyramid Curse 4x30 1000
Intel xx-4.25-55 pin in the ring finger OOB
Tremendous Pearl 75-3.5-35 OOB
Pyramid Curse 5.5x35 Polished
Pyramid Blood Moon Rising 80-4.75-35 Polished

_________________
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VAL angle question
 Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:09 pm Post Number: #7 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: August 7, 2017
Posts: 136
Location: Lake Geneva WI
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
EricHartwell wrote:
Tenacity ................... drilled Totally Strong and will perform the best on longer conditions.

Tremendous Pearl ..... Skid snap type ball with a high ratio skid snap layout. I feel the layout over emphasizes the reaction making it a difficult ball to control. 75-3.5-35

Intel ........................ The hook zone in this layout is too short to effectively burn off your rotation and it burns tilt too quickly.
It looks like an an attempt to make it a skid snap reaction but the ball is about control. This one in my opinion should have a Control layout xx-4.25-55 pin in the ring finger.

Pyramid Curses.......... I like the 2 ball set up you have with them. 1000 grit is a bit aggressive of a surface for what I bowl on in leagues. I like to use a little less surface trying to preserve the condition a little bit. I would either keep these in the arsenal or if you are going to replace them a similar set up would serve you well.

Blood Moon Rising ......I see what you did with the as the 3rd ball in the group with the Curses.
I think the 5.5" pin to PAP affects your carry negatively, causing the ball to burn off what little tilt you have too quickly. I would not recommend a Pin to PAP longer than 5" on Asyms for you.
I would have gone 80-4.75-35. fwiw

This is how I would re-organize your arsenal from strongest to weakest...

Tenacity 55x5x35 OOB
Pyramid Curse 4x30 1000
Intel xx-4.25-55 pin in the ring finger OOB
Tremendous Pearl 75-3.5-35 OOB
Pyramid Curse 5.5x35 Polished
Pyramid Blood Moon Rising 80-4.75-35 Polished


Thanks Eric
FYI tremendous pearl and intel layouts suggested on Facebook by Mo himself.
Also I need to fix my signature as my rotation is closer to 70 now. so between 60-80 I would say

_________________
-Knowledge is power-
PAP-5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Speed-14-15mph on monitor
Rev-325rpm
Tilt-10*
Rotation-70*-90*


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VAL angle question
 Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:31 am Post Number: #8 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts
User avatar

Joined: April 4, 2011
Posts: 3558
Location: Michigan
Reputation: 350
Reputation Power: 4
Lledsmarttam wrote:
Thanks Eric
FYI tremendous pearl and intel layouts suggested on Facebook by Mo himself.
Also I need to fix my signature as my rotation is closer to 70 now. so between 60-80 I would say

Are you pleased with the reactions you get out of the Tremendous and Intel?

_________________
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VAL angle question
 Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:45 pm Post Number: #9 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: August 7, 2017
Posts: 136
Location: Lake Geneva WI
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
EricHartwell wrote:
Are you pleased with the reactions you get out of the Tremendous and Intel?


Not on ths but have liked them on some sport patterns. I just changed surface on Intel to 4000 last night and planning to try it tonight. I will let you know. Was mostly just letting you know why I used them and that I didn't come up with them on my own.

_________________
-Knowledge is power-
PAP-5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Speed-14-15mph on monitor
Rev-325rpm
Tilt-10*
Rotation-70*-90*


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » General Forums » Layout Advice


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: