Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Optimus solid
Medium Oil Ball: Antidote, Zero Gravity
Light Oil Ball: Rave On,Pathogen

FULL ROLLER LAYOUT HELP

Post by Lledsmarttam »

Just wanted to reach out here and ask a few questions about the full roller layout as I have never drilled nor actually seen this type of bowler/release until tonight.

1)Are all full roller layouts generic?

2)Do you use a pap when drilling for this type of bowler?

3)Is there anything used for thirst types of layouts to change performance?

I have seen such things as drilling fingers or thumb deeper to alter reaction but no other real changes to the layout from most drilling guides I have looked at.
-Knowledge is power-
PAP-5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Speed-14-15mph on monitor
Rev-325rpm
Tilt-10*
Rotation-70*-90*
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: FULL ROLLER LAYOUT HELP

Post by elgavachon »

Lledsmarttam wrote:Just wanted to reach out here and ask a few questions about the full roller layout as I have never drilled nor actually seen this type of bowler/release until tonight.

1)Are all full roller layouts generic?

2)Do you use a pap when drilling for this type of bowler?

3)Is there anything used for thirst types of layouts to change performance?

I have seen such things as drilling fingers or thumb deeper to alter reaction but no other real changes to the layout from most drilling guides I have looked at.

Have you read these articles from the wiki? under layouts. There is no mention of drilling off the PAP and they appear generic to me.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ymmetrical" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ymmetrical" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

The "normal" full roller track is between the thumb and finger holes. The layout is designed to reverse the flare (compared to a layout for a semi-roller) to avoid flaring into the holes. So the layout options are limited. If the bowler doesn't mind the disadvantages of hitting the holes, primarily the rough roll and greater chances of cracking at the holes, the standard layouts should work. Most bowlers can't stand the thumping that results.

With the advent of no-thumb releases another type of full roller has emerged, one that tracks the entire diameter of the ball, zero axis tilt, but is located in the semi-roller position. Regular semi-roller layouts work fine for this type. -- JohnP
Lledsmarttam
THS Average: 198
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Speed: 14-15 mph on monitor

Post by Lledsmarttam »

elgavachon Yes they do mostly appear generic. I see some from different manufacturers that show a pap but never really reference it in the layouts. Thanks
-Knowledge is power-
PAP-5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Rev-325rpm
Tilt-10*
Rotation-70*-90*
Lledsmarttam
THS Average: 198
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Speed: 14-15 mph on monitor

Post by Lledsmarttam »

JohnP wrote:The "normal" full roller track is between the thumb and finger holes. The layout is designed to reverse the flare (compared to a layout for a semi-roller) to avoid flaring into the holes. So the layout options are limited. If the bowler doesn't mind the disadvantages of hitting the holes, primarily the rough roll and greater chances of cracking at the holes, the standard layouts should work. Most bowlers can't stand the thumping that results.

With the advent of no-thumb releases another type of full roller has emerged, one that tracks the entire diameter of the ball, zero axis tilt, but is located in the semi-roller position. Regular semi-roller layouts work fine for this type. -- JohnP
The bowler in question is definitely a full roller. He has his first true full roller layout done several years ago and has other balls drilled with traditional semi-roller layouts on them. He says he prefers the full roller because as you said no thumping! And he uses his thumb.

Last bumped by Lledsmarttam on January 11th, 2019, 5:10 pm.
-Knowledge is power-
PAP-5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Rev-325rpm
Tilt-10*
Rotation-70*-90*