General drilling

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Ajd95
Preferred Company: Hammer

General drilling

Post by Ajd95 »

So after a 6 year break from bowling due to an injury I'm back. I bowl a few games and decide I'd like a new ball, I pick out a Scandal/S and figure I'll build my arsenal around that once I figure out what I want and get the rust off. Go into the proshop of someone I thought was good, he's an acomplished bowler himself afterall and after he fits me he says it will be ready in two days. I ask about the layout and he uses a wax pencil to draw the finger holes and says "this one for earlier break" then draws another set "this one for later break". I said I'm a little concerned since you don't even know my rev rate, tilt or anything. He says "this is a strong general layout and I'm confident it will suite you".
I wanted a ball that read a little earlier but had a strong back end so I told him that and left.

Well I shouldn't have done that, because i bowled with it last night and it's weak as heck. Now my question here is how would I go about getting my PAP without an armadillo? I'd like to get all of these measurements and stats so that I can see if it's me with a bad rusty throw or if the layout neutered my ball.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: General drilling

Post by elgavachon »

Ajd95 wrote:So after a 6 year break from bowling due to an injury I'm back. I bowl a few games and decide I'd like a new ball, I pick out a Scandal/S and figure I'll build my arsenal around that once I figure out what I want and get the rust off. Go into the proshop of someone I thought was good, he's an acomplished bowler himself afterall and after he fits me he says it will be ready in two days. I ask about the layout and he uses a wax pencil to draw the finger holes and says "this one for earlier break" then draws another set "this one for later break". I said I'm a little concerned since you don't even know my rev rate, tilt or anything. He says "this is a strong general layout and I'm confident it will suite you".
I wanted a ball that read a little earlier but had a strong back end so I told him that and left.

Well I shouldn't have done that, because i bowled with it last night and it's weak as heck. Now my question here is how would I go about getting my PAP without an armadillo? I'd like to get all of these measurements and stats so that I can see if it's me with a bad rusty throw or if the layout neutered my ball.
Find your initial oil ring (closest to the thumb and fingers). Mark it somehow and then set your ball on a table. Adjust the ball until the oil ring is parallel to the table and the PAP should be somewhere very close to the middle of the ball (highest point from the table). You would put a small piece of tape on that spot and have someone watch you throw it. The tape should be stable right off the hand. If not, it needs to be moved until it is. This will take a little time to get right, but it will work.
Ajd95
Preferred Company: Hammer

Re: General drilling

Post by Ajd95 »

Fantastic, that is a great help. I have a small tripod for my phone I can use to do this.
Hopefully it's just me and I didn't waste $180. Oh well, lesson learned.