Symmetrical Ball Layouts Moving Forward (PSA Findings)

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Jthom757
Positive Axis Point: 4.75 over
Speed: 16.2mph camera
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 30
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Storm

Symmetrical Ball Layouts Moving Forward (PSA Findings)

Post by Jthom757 »

I don't know if this question has been asked. I'm a novice and just started dabbling in dual angle layouts so go easy on me. In Mo's "The New Reality of BALL MOTION - The Rules Have Changed" Video he mentions that the PSA migrates to the thumb on symmetrical balls with no weight hole (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOOZdetR2Fs). In the video he mentions to focus on VAL angle, pin to PAP distance, and surface to adjust the shot shape and break point distance since CG placement (drill angle) doesn't really matter. As we move away from balance holes in 2020, will the Dual Angle crowd remove the drill angle from the description of a particular layout on symmetrical balls? IE: "4 in x 45*" instead of "45* x 4 in x 45*"?
Last edited by Jthom757 on November 12th, 2018, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Symmetrical Ball Layouts Moving Forward (PSA Findings)

Post by 44boyd »

So far yes, you’ll see xx-4.5-45 on here and on Facebook
Stacy
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Jthom757 wrote:I don't know if this question has been asked. I'm and novice and just started dabbling in dual angle layouts so go easy on me. In Mo's "The New Reality of BALL MOTION - The Rules Have Changed" Video he mentions that the PSA migrates to the thumb on symmetrical balls with no weight hole (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOOZdetR2Fs). In the video he mentions to focus on VAL angle, pin to PAP distance, and surface to adjust the shot shape and break point distance since CG placement (drill angle) doesn't really matter. As we move away from balance holes in 2020, will the Dual Angle crowd remove the drill angle from the description of a particular layout on symmetrical balls? IE: "4 in x 45*" instead of "45* x 4 in x 45*"?
Everybody is doing it that way now.
Jthom757
Positive Axis Point: 4.75 over
Speed: 16.2mph camera
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 30
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by Jthom757 »

Thank you!
Justin
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Jthom757 wrote:I don't know if this question has been asked. I'm a novice and just started dabbling in dual angle layouts so go easy on me. In Mo's "The New Reality of BALL MOTION - The Rules Have Changed" Video he mentions that the PSA migrates to the thumb on symmetrical balls with no weight hole (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOOZdetR2Fs). In the video he mentions to focus on VAL angle, pin to PAP distance, and surface to adjust the shot shape and break point distance since CG placement (drill angle) doesn't really matter. As we move away from balance holes in 2020, will the Dual Angle crowd remove the drill angle from the description of a particular layout on symmetrical balls? IE: "4 in x 45*" instead of "45* x 4 in x 45*"?
Welcome to BowlingChat

I have had to change my recommendations for Symmetrical balls. Yes my recommendations are now usually xx- pin distance- VAL Angle. I will at times specify an angle for the Cg in order to position it for static weight purposes. It could be an an issue with higher top weight balls.

I have found that and I am showing that there are not as many layout recommendations for Symmetrical balls as there are for Asymmetrical balls.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
scotts33
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8" > 3/8" up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv T10 LE 60* 4" 60* no hole symm. OOB pin down

Post by scotts33 »

What I have found interesting on drilling a few symmetrical balls lately (depending on layout) is that the PSA can be anywhere from 1.50" left of thumb to 1" right of thumb using a Determinator so the PSA to VAL measurement (buffer) can be much different ball to ball and with no use of x holes as of Jan 2020 this can be a slight detriment.
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

For bowler styles that require a balance hole, I recommend asymm.
The new rules changed nothing, in terms of hook potential.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º