Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Remeasured PAP and.....

Post by Mongo »

I had made some grip changes (shortened span by 1/4", added 1/8" reverse in finger, took out 1/8" reverse in thumb) and noticed my track had changed. For a while, I didn't think anything about it, but finally decided it was time to check my PAP.

Let's just say the results were eye opening.

Old PAP - 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
New PAP - 4 5/16" over, 1 3/4" up.

Over the last year, I had simplified my layouts quite a bit to keep thing simpler. At the time (with the old PAP, they were
45 x 4 1/2 x 70 (pin over bridge, MB just outside thumb)
65 x 4 1/2 x 40 (pin under bridge, MB on VAL)

Well, I noticed I never really had anything that popped off the spot. I now know why. My two main layouts were actually

90 x 3 7/8 x 60
45 x 3 7/8 x 75

Not exactly balls that are going to be very active downlane.

On top of that, my axis tilt/rotation have changed a bit, too.

I was at around 11 degrees of tilt with 65-70 axis rotation.
I'm now at 7 degrees of tilt and 55 degrees of axis rotation.

In other words, I've got ball roll that picks up sooner and layouts that aren't going be very responsive.

I have an embarrassing amount of equipment right now, but I feel like I need to punch up at least one or two balls with "better" layouts. At this point, I'm rambling, but this is a pretty big deal.

Ideas/thoughts?
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Remeasured PAP and.....

Post by EricHartwell »

Mongo wrote:I had made some grip changes (shortened span by 1/4", added 1/8" reverse in finger, took out 1/8" reverse in thumb) and noticed my track had changed. For a while, I didn't think anything about it, but finally decided it was time to check my PAP.

Let's just say the results were eye opening.

Old PAP - 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
New PAP - 4 5/16" over, 1 3/4" up.

Over the last year, I had simplified my layouts quite a bit to keep thing simpler. At the time (with the old PAP, they were
45 x 4 1/2 x 70 (pin over bridge, MB just outside thumb)
65 x 4 1/2 x 40 (pin under bridge, MB on VAL)

Well, I noticed I never really had anything that popped off the spot. I now know why. My two main layouts were actually

90 x 3 7/8 x 60
45 x 3 7/8 x 75

Not exactly balls that are going to be very active downlane.

On top of that, my axis tilt/rotation have changed a bit, too.

I was at around 11 degrees of tilt with 65-70 axis rotation.
I'm now at 7 degrees of tilt and 55 degrees of axis rotation.

In other words, I've got ball roll that picks up sooner and layouts that aren't going be very responsive.

I have an embarrassing amount of equipment right now, but I feel like I need to punch up at least one or two balls with "better" layouts. At this point, I'm rambling, but this is a pretty big deal.

Ideas/thoughts?
What balls are we talking about?

If you would please post your release specs in your signature similar to what I have in mine. It makes it much easier to reference when discussing layouts.

So with the grip change your release has changed, Now rolling with less tilt and rotation. The ball is going to read earlier, smoother surfaces to help get the ball down the lane.

Your PAP has only changed by 1/4" , That is not much.
There is something amiss about your before and after layouts. They are too much different for only a 1/4" PAP difference. There is no way a 40* VAL angle would be a pin down drilling with your PAP being 1 1/2"+ up from the midline.

90 x 3 7/8 x 60 the pin would be on the bridge.

I would double check PAP measurements re-measure the layouts using a Prosect for accuracy.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Re: Remeasured PAP and.....

Post by Mongo »

EricHartwell wrote: What balls are we talking about?

If you would please post your release specs in your signature similar to what I have in mine. It makes it much easier to reference when discussing layouts.

So with the grip change your release has changed, Now rolling with less tilt and rotation. The ball is going to read earlier, smoother surfaces to help get the ball down the lane.

Your PAP has only changed by 1/4" , That is not much.
There is something amiss about your before and after layouts. They are too much different for only a 1/4" PAP difference. There is no way a 40* VAL angle would be a pin down drilling with your PAP being 1 1/2"+ up from the midline.

90 x 3 7/8 x 60 the pin would be on the bridge.

I would double check PAP measurements re-measure the layouts using a Prosect for accuracy.
My PAP moved a total of 1/2" (1/4" over and 1/4' up. )

I threw many many shots with a plastic ball. The little dot didn't move. :)
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.