THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55

Getting the most of a 12lb core

Post by fufu »

So I have a customer that is in his mid-30s with MS. His health nearly forced him to quit the game. He decided to keep bowling but drop from 14 to 12lb. I’d like some advice on getting every ounce of differential and intermediate diff(where applicable) from the cores in 12lb balls. I’ve been looking around at all companies trying to see what equipment gives us the most diff/inter diff at 12lbs but from a drilling standpoint what adjustments can I make to get the most from the equipment for him.

Specs:
22* Tilt
60* Axis Rotation
Slightly Speed Dominant(he has adjusted to the drop in weight well)
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Getting the most of a 12lb core

Post by EricHartwell »

fufu wrote:So I have a customer that is in his mid-30s with MS. His health nearly forced him to quit the game. He decided to keep bowling but drop from 14 to 12lb. I’d like some advice on getting every ounce of differential and intermediate diff(where applicable) from the cores in 12lb balls. I’ve been looking around at all companies trying to see what equipment gives us the most diff/inter diff at 12lbs but from a drilling standpoint what adjustments can I make to get the most from the equipment for him.

Specs:
22* Tilt
60* Axis Rotation
Slightly Speed Dominant(he has adjusted to the drop in weight well)
Things like drilling the fingers as shallow as possible will help keep the differentials up and can help tweak out a little more reaction.
Drilling angles need to be as low as possible so drilling the thumb deeper will be for adjusting the drilling angle larger. The thumb will pull the PSA towards it especially on a weaker Asym core that will be in the 12#.
Positioning the static weight has got to have some effect on lighter balls. Smaller drilling angles will position the static weight on the positive side which could yield a board or so more hook.

Track and Motiv have some 12# cores worth looking at.

I would feel better about making layout recommendations if I had the actual speed and rev numbers.
High tilt and higher rotation can give the impression of speed dominating revs. When in actuality the speed to rev relationship could actually be slightly rev dominant. Something like this could result in a layout scheme being shifted 10*-15* stronger than it should be.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
fufu

Post by fufu »

EricHartwell wrote:
I would feel better about making layout recommendations if I had the actual speed and rev numbers.
High tilt and higher rotation can give the impression of speed dominating revs. When in actuality the speed to rev relationship could actually be slightly rev dominant. Something like this could result in a layout scheme being shifted 10*-15* stronger than it should be.

I didn’t think of it that way but I agree. I’ll try to get those numbers. May take a few days.
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gunso

Post by gunso »

The Halo from Roto has an 0.40 differential with an int diff of 0.08

The hyper cell fused has a diff of 0.29 and 0.08 (storm has similiar numbers in most of their asyms in 12 lbs except codes I think)

The Idol and Idol pearl have a 0.35 diff in their sym balls as do the the master line from storm such as the Soniq, iq tour and phaze 2

I'd venture a guess that these are plenty enough to work with to get a decent arsenal.

Halo, Fused, idol, idol pearl, iq spare ball is a pretty decent and versatile 6 ball arsenal which should cover most every condition coverstock wise
fufu

Post by fufu »

gunso wrote:The Halo from Roto has an 0.40 differential with an int diff of 0.08

The hyper cell fused has a diff of 0.29 and 0.08 (storm has similiar numbers in most of their asyms in 12 lbs except codes I think)

The Idol and Idol pearl have a 0.35 diff in their sym balls as do the the master line from storm such as the Soniq, iq tour and phaze 2

I'd venture a guess that these are plenty enough to work with to get a decent arsenal.

Halo, Fused, idol, idol pearl, iq spare ball is a pretty decent and versatile 6 ball arsenal which should cover most every condition coverstock wise

I saw that and I found that Brunswick appears to offer the most dynamic cores in that weight. The PitBull Bite is .043 and .011 and so is the Kingpin Max. Ebonite offered something similar as well. I’ll see what his thoughts are moving forward.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

With balls that are starting with .011 int diff and under I would recommend compensating the PSA location with even smaller drilling angles knowing that it will be pulled towards the thumb making the post drilled angle larger.
Motiv Villain and the Track Precision are strong enough Asymmetrically not to worry about compensating the layout.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

Don't forget about surface adjustments to slow that puppy down. I went down to 12 lbs after my back surgery and getting to ball to transition was key for me. If it's still hooking, it's deflecting big time when it hits the pins.
James Talley