THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55

House shot struggles--Recommendations?

Post by fufu »

The house shot has been eating my lunch so far this year. My carry has been extremely poor compared to many of the other better players in our league. I just can't seem to put together the right combination of ball, layout and surface prep to open my carry window. I know I'm bowling well as I just bowled a tournament last weekend were only 22 of 100 people were plus and I was 100+ over after 8 games qualifying in the top 10. My house shot average this year is about 218-220. Last night I shot 17 single pins.

My arsenal:
Motiv Jackal Ghost: 60x4x35--1000A
Rotogrip Dare Devil Trick: 75x4.5x50/2000A
RotoGrip Hustle INK: 50x4x40--500/2000A
RotoGrip Winner: 65x5x30--500/Polish
Storm Soniq: 60x4.5x30--500/Polish
900G Desert Ops: 75x2.75x35--4000A
Storm Pitch Black: 65x4x40--4000A

Some notes: I don't take the Ghost/Pitch Black anywhere but tournaments. The SonIQ is dead and is on the chopping block. I've mainly been using the Hustle and DDT to smooth out the wet/dry. I did throw the Desert Ops for a bit last night and it looked okay, but turned into 10p/4p over/under hell. I generally prefer to stay within the Storm/Roto family.

The condition is a THS, medium volume, 20 year old AMF HPLs.

Lets here your thoughts!
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gunso

Re: House shot struggles--Recommendations?

Post by gunso »

I loved my trick to smooth out over under but recently I've been having a lot of success with the Hyroad Nano. Has a bit more shape downlane and the nano cover is special so I would definetly recommend that one.

Might go to something similiar to a Fused as well if carry is the issue and not getting to the pocket.

That hyroad x looks special as well and the hyroad is always good as well.
Bluelobstor
THS Average: 208
Positive Axis Point: 6 1/4 over 0 up or down
Speed: 16.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: AMF XS Technology
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox/AMF XS Technology
Light Oil Ball: Combat Tank
Preferred Company: All

Post by Bluelobstor »

Fufu,
Most of the balls you mention are symmetric. I remember reading where MO said to start with symmetric and when you can't carry to switch to an asymmetrical. I know you said you only bring the Jackal Ghost to tournaments but I would be interested to see how it does on these lanes. At least it would tell you if an asymmetrical might work. I realize the desert ops is asymmetrical but its pretty weak overall compared to others. Being that you like storm I have a friend that really likes the Intense Fire and the Physix looks nice.

Jason
PAP 6 1/4 over 0 up or down. Pap figured from the center of the bridge.
Rev Rate ~450
Speed 16.5 off the hand
Axis Tilt 10 Degrees
Axis Rotation 40-50 degrees
1 Hand 2 Finger Delivery
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

Bluelobstor wrote:Fufu,
Most of the balls you mention are symmetric. I remember reading where MO said to start with symmetric and when you can't carry to switch to an asymmetrical. I know you said you only bring the Jackal Ghost to tournaments but I would be interested to see how it does on these lanes. At least it would tell you if an asymmetrical might work. I realize the desert ops is asymmetrical but its pretty weak overall compared to others. Being that you like storm I have a friend that really likes the Intense Fire and the Physix looks nice.

Jason
I think the worry isn't so much asymmetric versus symmetric as it is selecting the correct ball when one has to move in beyond the range of a symmetric ball. Have to consider coverstock and surface.

I could see someone starting the night off with something like an Idol or similar. At some point, the Idol may lose carry when one has to move inside. At that time, even a Halo (same cover, asymmetric core) would be better suited. The asymmetric can provide a sharper breakpoint shape resulting in better carry. (don't forget the cover or release change as well)

Not sure how deep one can get with a Jackyl Ghost on a THS.
scotts33
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8" > 3/8" up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv T10 LE 60* 4" 60* no hole symm. OOB pin down

Post by scotts33 »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by scotts33 on October 12th, 2018, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fufu

Post by fufu »

Bluelobstor wrote:Fufu,

Jason
This is definitely something I’ve been chewing on. I’ll probably have to take the surface up a touch.

I’ve been contemplating the Intense Fire and Physix. But haven’t pulled the trigger.
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fufu

Post by fufu »

scotts33 wrote:Since, you want to stay in the Storm umbrella and use an asymm. inside to get a sharper break point what about a 900G Tactical Ops? That is a ball I have considered in the same situation. It would seem a stronger solid asymm. may burn up where a pearl cover asymm. (TO isn't as strong as an Intense or Intense Fire but should get the corners to kick out) might gain you some length with recovery.
That’s an option I haven’t considered. Aside from the Desert Ops, I haven’t thrown a 900G product. It might be something worth trying.

The house seems to carry better from straighter angles.....for most anyway. We have fairly soft backends but they burn up side to side quite a bit. Hitting the pocket isn’t a problem but carrying is. I had a used Black Widow Dark Legend in the shop so I drilled it up yesterday but now I’m 2nd guessing the layout of 45x5x65. I won’t know till Wednesday if it’s gonna blend the wet/dry. If not it was a “free” experiment.
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

Intense Fire is suprisingly good on THS for me @ 75x4x35 (PSA in the thumb hole).
Love the way this ball rolls.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
fufu

Post by fufu »

Well the Black Widow Dark Legend experiment was moderately successful last night. I shot 692 which is my high set this season on the house shot. I did lose carry the last game after starting 240-240 then managed a clunky 205. The right lane burned up on the outside and when I got in the ball faded at the pocket. I moved a touch deeper and threw it further right which seemed to work.

Now, on to the scratch league to see how it performs.