Board index » Mo & Friends » Ball & Layout Advice




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Drilling a reactive ball to take out the snap?
 Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:56 pm Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: April 25, 2018
Posts: 18
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
I've read somewhere that a reactive ball can be drilled a certain way so that it hooks gradually instead of turning a sharp left.
Is that possible?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Drilling a reactive ball to take out the snap?
 Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:41 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts
User avatar

Joined: April 4, 2011
Posts: 3240
Location: Michigan
Reputation: 279
Reputation Power: 3
markkuhn wrote:
I've read somewhere that a reactive ball can be drilled a certain way so that it hooks gradually instead of turning a sharp left.
Is that possible?

Short answer, yes.
For help with layouts the release specs are needed. Check out this link.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373

But drilling/layout alone is not the whole answer.

Surface prep is very important in the tuning of a ball to get the reaction you are looking for.
Shiny surfaces will be more skid snap where as a dull surface will produce a hook that will start sooner and be less angular, more arcing in its shape.

_________________
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Drilling a reactive ball to take out the snap?
 Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:26 pm Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: September 8, 2012
Posts: 766
Reputation: 16
Reputation Power: 1
And that was kind a question I had as well.
I was using my Jackpot at Kearny last night.
I had it at 4000 grit polished.
It had amazing recovery from the right, but got very snappy as the lane broke down and made control of the pocket a little tricky.
Since play had started I could not adjust surface, but my thought was to hit it with a 4000 pad to get the polish off which hopefully would to take a little of the snap out of it and give me more control off the breakpoint.
Is that the correct adjustment when you see a pearl getting too snappy?

_________________
Full Roller
Axis Rotation: 90
Axis Tilt: 0
Rev rate: 150
Ball speed: 10.5 mph at the Pin Deck
Composite Average: 175
High Game: 259 bowled with Billy Hardwick rubber ball. The back 9.
High Series: 667 bowled with the Radical Jackpot.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Drilling a reactive ball to take out the snap?
 Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:10 pm Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts
User avatar

Joined: April 4, 2011
Posts: 3240
Location: Michigan
Reputation: 279
Reputation Power: 3
Nord wrote:
And that was kind a question I had as well.
I was using my Jackpot at Kearny last night.
I had it at 4000 grit polished.
It had amazing recovery from the right, but got very snappy as the lane broke down and made control of the pocket a little tricky.
Since play had started I could not adjust surface, but my thought was to hit it with a 4000 pad to get the polish off which hopefully would to take a little of the snap out of it and give me more control off the breakpoint.
Is that the correct adjustment when you see a pearl getting too snappy?

Cutting through a polished surface by hand will load a 4000 grit pad very quickly. You have to keep knocking off the dust as you make your way around the ball. It is also a small step in changing the reaction.
I would use a 1500 or 2000 grit pad knowing the lanes will be shining it to 4000+ in about 10 frames.

_________________
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Drilling a reactive ball to take out the snap?
 Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:26 am Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 26, 2007
Posts: 4295
Location: Malta, NY
Reputation: 944
Reputation Power: 10
EricHartwell wrote:
I would use a 1500 or 2000 grit pad knowing the lanes will be shining it to 4000+ in about 10 frames.


Not with ZERO TILT!
You guys have to learn no tilt bowlers are completely different.
The moment their balls encounter friction, they roll with no tilt to burn off.
Their success is largely dependent upon the playing environment. Not good!

Nord needs to learn to play with his angles more.
BTW, no where in his videos do I see uncontrollable reaction, hes not used to seeing the movement of a reactive reading the friction. I would do no more than a fresh 4000 by hand, otherwise you're going to read the middle of the lane again and have a poor angle at the pocket. One of these days Nord you'll stop desiring to see the ball hook at 10 feet past your toes!

_________________
Please press the Image button if you feel I've been helpful.

“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Drilling a reactive ball to take out the snap?
 Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:48 am Post Number: #6 Post
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: September 8, 2012
Posts: 766
Reputation: 16
Reputation Power: 1
MegaMav wrote:

Not with ZERO TILT!
You guys have to learn no tilt bowlers are completely different.
The moment their balls encounter friction, they roll with no tilt to burn off.
Their success is largely dependent upon the playing environment. Not good!

Nord needs to learn to play with his angles more.
BTW, nowhere in his videos do I see uncontrollable reaction, he's not used to seeing the movement of a reactive reading the friction. I would do no more than a fresh 4000 by hand, otherwise you're going to read the middle of the lane again and have a poor angle at the pocket. One of these days Nord you'll stop desiring to see the ball hook at 10 feet past your toes!

Oh, I am definitely learning to want that ball to get way the hell down there before it does something.
I am seeing the Jackpot do that, but sometimes it is just too much.
I will think I have it right at the breakpoint, but I maybe missed a touch inside and it jumps across, or a touch outside and it comes in a touch light.
I saw this at Kearny last night playing 10 to 7, it was touchy and I had to be more perfect than I wanted.
I felt if the ball could read a touch earlier, it would calm the ball in the back and give me more forgiveness/room for error.
I hope I am understanding that correctly.

_________________
Full Roller
Axis Rotation: 90
Axis Tilt: 0
Rev rate: 150
Ball speed: 10.5 mph at the Pin Deck
Composite Average: 175
High Game: 259 bowled with Billy Hardwick rubber ball. The back 9.
High Series: 667 bowled with the Radical Jackpot.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Drilling a reactive ball to take out the snap?
 Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:28 pm Post Number: #7 Post
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 26, 2007
Posts: 4295
Location: Malta, NY
Reputation: 944
Reputation Power: 10
Nord wrote:
I felt if the ball could read a touch earlier, it would calm the ball in the back and give me more forgiveness/room for error.
I hope I am understanding that correctly.


Forgiveness on a house shot mostly comes from where you play on the lane.
Its somewhat ball motion, but in your case with zero tilt, its entirely based on getting your ball to clear the first 40 feet of the lane.

_________________
Please press the Image button if you feel I've been helpful.

“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Drilling a reactive ball to take out the snap?
 Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:17 pm Post Number: #8 Post
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: January 21, 2017
Posts: 103
Location: Michigan
Reputation: 38
Reputation Power: 1
Well, I thought we were done w/ the "Help Nord score on House Shot ' thread. Guess not!
And yes, sanding he ball w/ blend/smooth out reaction shape. BUT NOT in your case w/ Zero tilt. Like Mav said ball sees friction , left turn Clyde! Get some tilt & get that ball down the lane further.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Mo & Friends » Ball & Layout Advice


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: