14 pounds vs. 15 pounds

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

lpc300

14 pounds vs. 15 pounds

Post by lpc300 »

Girl I work with throws 15 pounds. She's very good, averages right around 200. She struggles whenever there's a bit of backend, and typically has to play as far left as she can on nearly all conditions. Problem seems to be her speed, which is around 13.5. As the night wears on, she also has a tendency to start "leaning" right (she's a righty) with her shoulder and armswing, sending the ball too wide. Everytime we "correct" the "lean" she automatically compensates with another habit. This has lead me to believe that going down to 14 might be a solution. I drilled a 14 pounder up for her. Her speed went up to 14.5/15 and the "lean" completely disappeared. From what I see, her carry has not suffered at all. She was recently recruited by a top college coach who said that all of his girls throw 15. My belief is that 15 MPH at 14 with more consistency in her targeting is better than 13.5 MPH at 15 with inconsistent targeting. My question is, if she sticks with 14, will this, in the long run, negatively affect her carry, especially on sport shots?
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: 14 pounds vs. 15 pounds

Post by EricHartwell »

lpc300 wrote:Girl I work with throws 15 pounds. She's very good, averages right around 200. She struggles whenever there's a bit of backend, and typically has to play as far left as she can on nearly all conditions. Problem seems to be her speed, which is around 13.5. As the night wears on, she also has a tendency to start "leaning" right (she's a righty) with her shoulder and armswing, sending the ball too wide. Everytime we "correct" the "lean" she automatically compensates with another habit. This has lead me to believe that going down to 14 might be a solution. I drilled a 14 pounder up for her. Her speed went up to 14.5/15 and the "lean" completely disappeared. From what I see, her carry has not suffered at all. She was recently recruited by a top college coach who said that all of his girls throw 15. My belief is that 15 MPH at 14 with more consistency in her targeting is better than 13.5 MPH at 15 with inconsistent targeting. My question is, if she sticks with 14, will this, in the long run, negatively affect her carry, especially on sport shots?
A top college program will have strength and conditioning for their athletes. She is still young and barring any injury should be able to gain more strength and the ability to control the heavier ball.

Force =Mass x Acceleration
210=14 pounds x 15 mph
202=15 pounds x 13.5 mph

By the numbers the 14 pound ball has more force.

By rolling the 14 pound ball faster she is now learning how to move her body that fast. Muscle memory of "training" with the 14 could help her get more speed with the 15.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

15 mph is a bit slow for college bowling, I would go to maybe a 13 lbs and work on cross training and conditioning while she works her way up to 15 lbs. College female bowlers: 15-17 mph monitor speed at will, 300-375 rpms at will, 20-45-60 axis tilts at will, loft from 6” to 8’ at will. In other words she must learn to adjust speed, release and loft, easier with a lighter ball.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
lpc300

Post by lpc300 »

EricHartwell wrote: A top college program will have strength and conditioning for their athletes. She is still young and barring any injury should be able to gain more strength and the ability to control the heavier ball.

Force =Mass x Acceleration
210=14 pounds x 15 mph
202=15 pounds x 13.5 mph

By the numbers the 14 pound ball has more force.

By rolling the 14 pound ball faster she is now learning how to move her body that fast. Muscle memory of "training" with the 14 could help her get more speed with the 15.
Yup. This was my theory and what I've proposed doing with her. Her father is somewhat opposed as he is concerned she will get too comfortable with the 14 pounder and want to stick with it. I've explained that it is a means to an end, and that the end result will be increased speed with 15 pound balls.
lpc300

Post by lpc300 »

TonyPR wrote:15 mph is a bit slow for college bowling, I would go to maybe a 13 lbs and work on cross training and conditioning while she works her way up to 15 lbs. College female bowlers: 15-17 mph monitor speed at will, 300-375 rpms at will, 20-45-60 axis tilts at will, loft from 6” to 8’ at will. In other words she must learn to adjust speed, release and loft, easier with a lighter ball.
She's not very versatile with the things you mention. It's next on my list of which to work with her. I think that 14 will be light enough for her to switch speeds, revs, tilt, etc... at will.