Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Control layout for Symmetric ball on shorter patterns

Post by magicmike »

Have a Motiv Venom Cobra (Mild Strength shiny cover, 2.47rg .035diff) sitting around that I want to do something with this summer.

I've been struggling a little bit on shorter sport patterns, mainly due to my ball roll, but I wanted to take a chance and use a ball I have laying around to try and create a little more of a crutch. I've been pretty successful with urethane, but i'd like to try and find something with reactive.

Bowler Specs:
Speed off Hand: 17mph
Rev Rate: 375rpm
Axis Rotation: 40degrees
Axis Tilt: 17degrees

I can adjust my release and take some of the axis rotation down, and i'm working on it, but it's not my strong suite.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
gunso

Re: Control layout for Symmetric ball on shorter patterns

Post by gunso »

I highly doubt that is the right ball for short sport patterns until at least 2 games in. especially if urethane is your best iption as of yet.

I'd go with something strong, asym or sym, with a slow response to friction cover
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Rev dominant 100* total 1.5:1 ratio
Asymmetrical layouts
Benchmark 60-4-40
Control 60-4-60
Short sport 30-5-60

Like gunso mentioned, probably not the best ball but I think it could still be usable.
I would try a pin down drilling, something like xx-4-60 but you didn't give your PAP measurement So I can't tell if the pin will be too close to the ring finger or not. The Drilling angle will be about the thumb hole. With the new rules for static weight and No balance holes the Cg placement will not matter much but I would put it near your grip.

I would definitely get rid of the shine and roll it with a dull surface. The breakpoint for shorter patterns will be out by the gutter. You don't want a shiny ball that will too easy to skid through the breakpoint into the gutter. Thus gunso's recommendation for a stronger ball.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by magicmike »

Appreciate the replies guys! I get that the ball might not be the best, but it's just one i've got laying around, other option is a little too far on the other side of the spectrum but i'll consider as well in a Motiv Jackal Ghost (strong solid cover, assym, 2.47RG, .054diff, .015 int diff), but I was thinking of saving it for a little bit.

I do plan on knocking the shine down on the Venom Cobra, and will post up after I punch it in the next week or so and use it a bit.

My PAP is 4-1/4> and 3/4^

My rev dominance and lane surfaces that i've bowled on a lot lately have me looking at weaker balls, as the stronger stuff I have, even with layouts and surfaces that I have had success with tend to just be too much ball, which again points at me the bowler that I have a lot to work on.

I just hate how urethane works well for me on the shorter stuff, but just trashes the lanes into an unplayable mess after a couple games. My summer league i'm bowling is 4 games, 4 person teams, different sport pattern every week, i'm high average in the league by a good bit, but it's been incredibly front loaded on the short patterns (last two games on those nights are usually ugly). But it's good practice and a weekly opportunity to continue to try and improve my own game.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

magicmike wrote:My PAP is 4-1/4> and 3/4^
Pin in the ring finger for your control layout.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
gunso

Post by gunso »

I'm similiar in the way that I'm rev dominant as well and have done well on short patterns with urethane. if going left with your feet and slower isn't the answer then mu best look has usually been with strong cover dominant bowling balls. Personal favorite is the Daredevil trick. I move like 5-3 left of my strong urethane and it usually does the trick. Had success with the Guru master and Hammer scandal before that doing the same thing. early and controllable is still preferred even after 2-3 games usually