Board index » Mo & Friends » Ball & Layout Advice




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Layout advice for an ancient lefty
 Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:15 am Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 6, 2015
Posts: 120
Reputation: 3
Reputation Power: 1
I am looking for layout advice for an IQ tour edition. It is 13 lb 3oz, top weight is 2.29 oz and the pin is 2 -2.5. My specs are in my signature and they were obtained about 7 months ago. I just turned 78 and only bowl in my local ABT tournaments on weekends. I was measured at 13 mph of my hand but recently when I look at the monitor that measures speed in houses that have that capability, I see speeds between the mid to high eights to the mid to high nines. Should a ball supposedly coming off my hand lose that much speed going down the lane? I am looking for a layout for sport shots 3 to 1 or less with oil going from 40 to 46 feet with volume around 25ml's. With my low speed and high axis rotation, I have no problems with hooking any ball, rubber and plastic included. Would a low flaring layout with length work for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

_________________
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 1/8 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Layout advice for an ancient lefty
 Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:00 am Post Number: #2 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts
User avatar

Joined: April 4, 2011
Posts: 3165
Location: Michigan
Reputation: 270
Reputation Power: 3
Being able to hook the the ball is one thing but getting it to roll is another. The layout helps you achieve roll. I don't think low flare is the answer for longer flatter patterns.

Control layout.................... 70-4-60 balance hole 2" below midline on the VAL Pin in the Ring finger

Long and Strong ................ 80-4-40
This one has the option to add a Motion Hole for more length and backend.

_________________
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Layout advice for an ancient lefty
 Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:49 am Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: July 9, 2012
Posts: 1291
Location: Central Florida
Reputation: 436
Reputation Power: 5
jdrsuper wrote:
I was measured at 13 mph of my hand but recently when I look at the monitor that measures speed in houses that have that capability, I see speeds between the mid to high eights to the mid to high nines. Should a ball supposedly coming off my hand lose that much speed going down the lane?


A ball typically will lose about 2-3 mph going down the lane, So 13 off the hand with 10 at the pins would be about average say.

So 9 at the pins wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, Of course the accuracy of the speed monitors, Along with conditions, ball surface etc. would factor in also.

If your swinging the ball with a lot belly in it vs playing a straighter line, it will register a bit slower also.

_________________
Click my green + rep button if this helps!
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Layout advice for an ancient lefty
 Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 am Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 6, 2015
Posts: 120
Reputation: 3
Reputation Power: 1
EricHartwell wrote:
Being able to hook the the ball is one thing but getting it to roll is another. The layout helps you achieve roll. I don't think low flare is the answer for longer flatter patterns.

Control layout.................... 70-4-60 balance hole 2" below midline on the VAL Pin in the Ring finger

Long and Strong ................ 80-4-40
This one has the option to add a Motion Hole for more length and backend.


Eric,
Thanks so much for your prompt reply and I will go with the long and strong and after using it I will decide if the motion hole is needed.

_________________
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 1/8 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Layout advice for an ancient lefty
 Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 am Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 6, 2015
Posts: 120
Reputation: 3
Reputation Power: 1
bowl1820 wrote:

A ball typically will lose about 2-3 mph going down the lane, So 13 off the hand with 10 at the pins would be about average say.

So 9 at the pins wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, Of course the accuracy of the speed monitors, Along with conditions, ball surface etc. would factor in also.

If your swinging the ball with a lot belly in it vs playing a straighter line, it will register a bit slower also.


Bowl1820,

Thanks for your prompt reply and that solves my mystery. I bowl as I said on sport conditions and due to my slow speed and hook, I tend to not play a straignt line most of the time and do belly the ball.

_________________
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 1/8 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Mo & Friends » Ball & Layout Advice


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: