Why Did This Work?

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

lpc300

Why Did This Work?

Post by lpc300 »

I've been drilling balls at home for about a year, now. Drill for myself and a few friends. Been struggling a bit in one of my leagues, so I decided to try something that I thought was a little odd and that probably wouldn't work. The league is 3rd shift. By the time I get on them, the heads are pretty fried except for deep inside. Outside 5 has carry down. So does inside 15. The backends, in general, have carry down, but everything between 5 and 15 rips. I was throwing a Octane Carbon, drilled 85x4x40. Ball reacted well, got through even the toasty heads well and as long as I kept it around the 10-12 board at the break, it would get to the pocket strong. Then, a few weeks ago, the lane guy started experimenting. Suddenly, we had even less backend. Now the Carbon was giving me a lot of over-under, depending on my adjustments, or was hitting like a creampuff. I decided I needed a change. I wanted something that would get through the heads, and arc hard... and recover. So, that's when I decided to try something.

I took a DV8 Nightmare, gave it what I felt was a pretty weak drilling... but gave it a ton of flare. The drill was 65x5x60. Kept it at box. I figured that it would either hook early and quit (the Nightmare is a pretty strong ball) or arc weak and hit weak. I tried it on a fresh condition with carry down and the ball reacted terribly. Length, pathetic transition, hit like a soggy pickle. Almost thought about redrilling, but didn't. So, I tried it on my league. Played where there was still oil in the heads and sent it out. It came back hard, but didn't over react, recovered from everywhere, and hit like a tank. It really surprised me. My specs are slightly rev dominant, benchmark at 105*, axis tilt of 13, axis of rotation of 65.

For this fairly dry, burnt up condition, does it make sense to you all that the ball with this drilling would have worked? I'm still pretty new at this, and I felt my theory made sense, but the drilling still seemed odd.
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Re: Why Did This Work?

Post by stevespo »

lpc300 wrote:Played where there was still oil in the heads and sent it out. It came back hard, but didn't over react, recovered from everywhere, and hit like a tank. It really surprised me. My specs are slightly rev dominant, benchmark at 105*, axis tilt of 13, axis of rotation of 65.

For this fairly dry, burnt up condition, does it make sense to you all that the ball with this drilling would have worked? I'm still pretty new at this, and I felt my theory made sense, but the drilling still seemed odd.
I have often used a pin down Menace (40x5.5x70), Paradox (30x5x50), Guru Master (35x5.5x30) on these types of conditions with good results. I think it works because you're far enough left to have oil in the front and a bit in the midlane. The ball rolls forward early with the long pin and lower ratios, and it doesn't overreact to friction with the longer VAL and strong cover.

When most people are pulling out their high ratio (skid/flip) polished pearls, I will get something with a strong core and aggressive cover to smooth out the condition. You need enough hand to make the turn, enough oil (with a bit of tilt and rotation) to get it to hit - but it won't be jumpy off the breakpoint and it will be rolling strong through the pins.

I don't know that it would work for everyone, but I think it makes sense.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*