Pin to Pap Distances and Ball Reaction

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Jmc1972

Pin to Pap Distances and Ball Reaction

Post by Jmc1972 »

Perhaps I’ve missed the part where this is covered, if I have please forgive me.

In the reading I’ve seen the areas discussing PIN to PAP distances for Asym and Sym for High Tilt and Low Tilt but nothing for Normal.

For Asym Low Tilt 2 1/4” to 4” change ball direction and read friction, 4-5” play straighter - Mo’ Reads

Asym - Most Flare at PIN to PAP 2.75 to 25, 4.5 More Angular, 4.75 Sooner forward roll

Where can I get additional information? I have addition info for High Tilt players, looking for Nor,al Tilt players - between 13* - 17*

Thanks!
Speed 17.5 off-hand
Rev 275
Tilt 17*
Rot 75*
PAP 4 over 1 3/8 up

Cash, More Cash, Katana x2, Fix, Quick Fix, Intel, Beyond Ridiculous, Tremendous Pearl, Guru Limited, Cyclops Pearl, True Motion & Radical Spare (Waiting to ship - Katana Slash)

EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Pin to Pap Distances and Ball Reaction

Post by EricHartwell »

Jmc1972 wrote:Perhaps I’ve missed the part where this is covered, if I have please forgive me.

In the reading I’ve seen the areas discussing PIN to PAP distances for Asym and Sym for High Tilt and Low Tilt but nothing for Normal.

For Asym Low Tilt 2 1/4” to 4” change ball direction and read friction, 4-5” play straighter - Mo’ Reads

Asym - Most Flare at PIN to PAP 2.75 to 25, 4.5 More Angular, 4.75 Sooner forward roll

Where can I get additional information? I have addition info for High Tilt players, looking for Nor,al Tilt players - between 13* - 17*

Thanks!
Sorry your post went unanswered for so long. Somehow I missed it.

For the "normal" bowler with medium tilt the calculations for the Benchmark start at 4" pin to PAP.
They are able to most effectively utilize the widest range of Pin to PAP's 2.25 to 5" on Asymmetrical equip. You have already described how the different pin distances affect the ball roll.
When I figure the Basic arsenal for a medium tilt medium rotation Matched bowler the pin recommendations will all be close to 4". Pin distances larger and smaller will further separate the ball motions. I would recommend them when working with a larger set or when a bowler request a ball motion that is more to the extreme from a Benchmark type reaction. Another time to utilize the far ends of the range is to make a ball react in a way that it was Not designed. For example a high differential early hooking ball and applying a low flare layout to it and using a 2.25" pin to PAP. Another example is the Sport layouts using the 5" pin to PAP to get the ball to roll as soon as possible.
I hope this helps.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand