Motion Hole and Asymetrical Balls

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Jmc1972

Motion Hole and Asymetrical Balls

Post by Jmc1972 »

I’ve been reading and watch video about Motion Holes and most of what I’ve found seems to pertain to Symetric cores and there was at one point a few mentions of possible testing on asym but then it seems the results aren’t posted, or maybe I’m not seeing them. Am I correct in assuming that motion holes do little for Asym balls? If I’m incorrect can someone please point me in the right direction?
Speed 17.5 off-hand
Rev 275
Tilt 17*
Rot 75*
PAP 4 over 1 3/8 up

Cash, More Cash, Katana x2, Fix, Quick Fix, Intel, Beyond Ridiculous, Tremendous Pearl, Guru Limited, Cyclops Pearl, True Motion & Radical Spare (Waiting to ship - Katana Slash)

MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Motion Hole and Asymetrical Balls

Post by MegaMav »

Jmc1972 wrote:I’ve been reading and watch video about Motion Holes and most of what I’ve found seems to pertain to Symetric cores and there was at one point a few mentions of possible testing on asym but then it seems the results aren’t posted, or maybe I’m not seeing them. Am I correct in assuming that motion holes do little for Asym balls? If I’m incorrect can someone please point me in the right direction?
Its usually too difficult to get them statically legal and get the desired base reaction.
I think in the motion hole thread on here Mo mentioned what base layout he would use on an Asym.
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

Jmc1972 wrote:I’ve been reading and watch video about Motion Holes and most of what I’ve found seems to pertain to Symetric cores and there was at one point a few mentions of possible testing on asym but then it seems the results aren’t posted, or maybe I’m not seeing them. Am I correct in assuming that motion holes do little for Asym balls? If I’m incorrect can someone please point me in the right direction?
It can be done. I've done a few and I think elgavachon has too. For me it gave the ball way too much length and not enough backend. I had to use lots of surface to get it to read. I can usually get it done with a ball with the cg way out of line. I'm left-handed and my friend is right-handed, so if we order a second and it's out of line one way or the other, we can motion hole it if we want.
James Talley
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

If I remember correctly (not a given for me) Mo stopped recommending the Motion Hole layout for asymmetrical balls because the somewhat random location and shape of the asymmetry made it a craps shoot whether it would work well or not. -- JohnP
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

I thought it was due to the difficulty of getting the statics legal, but I could be wrong. I guess we need to find a reference to know for sure.
James Talley
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Some info that may help.

MO:
I don't suggest MOtion Hole drillings for asymmetrical balls. I suggest using the latest expanded Radical asymmetrical drilling instructions for ALL asyms.

I still don't recommend MOtion Holes for asyms. because it becomes very difficult to get the pin/cg/PSA alignment that will end up with the cg on the centerline of the grip with the best layout for the ball.
elgavachon wrote: I have put Motion holes in a lot of asymmetrical balls with success. With the pins above the fingers, the 11" motion hole will usually be taking wt. out of the thumb quadrant. A long pin to CG ball will make it easier to get the ball to static wts. Most of the balls with those holes go very long. It is also easier if you can get a cg kicked to the left. The problem I have ran into is that the PSA can end up very far left of the thumb-hole when trying to get an in-line CG into position (short pin balls will accentuate the problem). If the ball has a very high I.D., you can flare funny. The ball will clip the thumb-hole very easily. I think the PSA can move towards the NAP on (with less than 6 3/4" distance). I have shortened the distance to the hole so that the opposite end of the axis (in conjunction with the thumb-hole) can pull the PSA to within 6 3/4" of the positive axis on the lower I.D. balls and they seem to work fine. For very high I.D. balls, I prefer to have the CG to the left.
Mo Pinel wrote:You have itemized why we currently recommend MOtion Holes ONLY for syms. They work well on asyms, but are tricky to do. Need cgs left of pin to PSA line (for RH) to do them easily most of the time.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."