THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Symmetrical ball PAP-PIN

Post by ads »

Will I get similar effect, if not what's difference, from 2.5 " PAP-PIN instead of 4.5" on a same symmetrical ball with same drilling and VAL angles?

I ask this question because for VAL angles between 50 to 70 and PAP-PIN longer than 4", my ring finger hole will very likely hit the PIN (at least partially or very close). This is something which my driller and myself like to avoid.

Thanks.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Re: Symmetrical ball PAP-PIN

Post by stevespo »

From the wiki:
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... echart.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The amount of flare will be roughly the same, but the actual drill angle will vary because the MB/PSA will end up very close (in, or slightly left) to the thumbhole.

Place the pin and CG in such a way as to provide balance hole options for fine tuning the ball reaction. With the longer pin to PAP distance, place the pin in the finger hole and drill it out completely.

Pin in the ring finger with a 50 VAL is one of my personal favorites. With CG in the palm, you can also motion hole it.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
ads

Post by ads »

stevespo wrote:From the wiki:
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... echart.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The amount of flare will be roughly the same, but the actual drill angle will vary because the MB/PSA will end up very close (in, or slightly left) to the thumbhole.

Place the pin and CG in such a way as to provide balance hole options for fine tuning the ball reaction. With the longer pin to PAP distance, place the pin in the finger hole and drill it out completely.

Pin in the ring finger with a 50 VAL is one of my personal favorites. With CG in the palm, you can also motion hole it.

Steve
Thanks Steve.

Will PIN in the ring finger weaken ball down lane motion further?
Adrian
Right handed
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

ads wrote:Will PIN in the ring finger weaken ball down lane motion further?
When you say weaken ball down lane motion do you mean less hook, slower hook, later roll?

Pin in the ring finger reduces the differential because you are drilling into the top of the core. Creating less flare. It is a longer, slower hook zone than pin above the ring finger (smaller VAL angle). But, it rolls sooner than Pin below the ring finger (larger VAL angle) which has a longer slower hook zone yet.

Shorter Pin to PAP on Symmetrical balls will create more skid due to the reduced flare and then roll forward sooner than long pin to PAP because of the shorter hook zone. I have found the shape to be more angular, skid snap reaction.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
ads

Post by ads »

EricHartwell wrote: When you say weaken ball down lane motion do you mean less hook, slower hook, later roll?

Pin in the ring finger reduces the differential because you are drilling into the top of the core. Creating less flare. It is a longer, slower hook zone than pin above the ring finger (smaller VAL angle). But, it rolls sooner than Pin below the ring finger (larger VAL angle) which has a longer slower hook zone yet.

Shorter Pin to PAP on Symmetrical balls will create more skid due to the reduced flare and then roll forward sooner than long pin to PAP because of the shorter hook zone. I have found the shape to be more angular, skid snap reaction.

Thanks Eric. The VAL angel determines how long / slow the hook zone. With PIN in finger hole, flare will be reduced additionally. Am I correct?
Adrian
Right handed
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

ads wrote:

Thanks Eric. The VAL angel determines how long / slow the hook zone. With PIN in finger hole, flare will be reduced additionally. Am I correct?
The VAL angle in conjunction with the pin to PAP determines the hook zone.

Drilling the ring finger deeper will create a more noticable reduction in flare with the pin in the ring finger.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
duvallite

Post by duvallite »

If the pin is drilled out in the ring finger, basically a control type of drilling with reduced differential, how much and what kind of a change in reaction would it be if you added a P4 balance hole? Also, would it be the same for an asymmetrical ball if you added a P4 with the pin in the ring finger? Is this worth doing?
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

duvallite wrote:If the pin is drilled out in the ring finger, basically a control type of drilling with reduced differential, how much and what kind of a change in reaction would it be if you added a P4 balance hole? Also, would it be the same for an asymmetrical ball if you added a P4 with the pin in the ring finger? Is this worth doing?
A true P4 hole is not advised on a symmetrical ball. It isn't possible in most pin up balls, as the PSA will be in or about the thumb hole. In most pin down balls the PSA will be below the thumb hole. If you added a P4 hole below the thumb, you run a real risk of tracking over it.

So instead we usually use the "Double Thumb" location as P4 on a symmetrical ball. In any case, regardless of pin up or pin down, a P4 or DT hole will increase the diffs and strength of the balls reaction to friction.
James Talley