Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Ratio - drilling angle to VAL angle

Post by ads »

Revisited layout technique from Wiki and found

If the ball design creates a later, sharp break point, use lower ratio (lower drilling angle to VAL).
If the ball design creates a sooner, forward rolling ball, use more ratio (higher drilling angle to VAL)

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... etSpot.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Appreciate someone can elaborate the concept further. Thanks.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Ratio - drilling angle to VAL angle

Post by Arkansas »

ads wrote:Revisited layout technique from Wiki and found

If the ball design creates a later, sharp break point, use lower ratio (lower drilling angle to VAL).
If the ball design creates a sooner, forward rolling ball, use more ratio (higher drilling angle to VAL)

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... etSpot.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Appreciate someone can elaborate the concept further. Thanks.
This is probably so you don't create ball motions at the extremes of the spectrum. If you take a Katana and put a high ratio drilling on it, you're going to enhance the skid-snap nature of the ball to the point its usability will be limited.
James Talley
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

ok, let's say you have a ball drill without a weight hole for example I'll take one of mine, 55 x 4 1/2 x 40.

what "ratio" will the ball change towards by adding P1-P4 weight holes? how big or small of a hole should be used to change the effective ratios as much as you can (of course with keeping static weights in bounds)

In other words this is a low ratio ball. What effect will those weight holes have on ratios and how can you determine how to get what you want if you need to change the ball to act (equivalent) like a higher or lower ratio than what I stated here.

Same goes for a high ratio ball Drilling to begin with.

The reason I asked is because you're not changing the drill or Val angles (can't change them) .

I hope that gets my question across okay.

rr
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Arkansas »

rrb6699 wrote:ok, let's say you have a ball drill without a weight hole for example I'll take one of mine, 55 x 4 1/2 x 40.

what "ratio" will the ball change towards by adding P1-P4 weight holes? how big or small of a hole should be used to change the effective ratios as much as you can (of course with keeping static weights in bounds)

In other words this is a low ratio ball. What effect will those weight holes have on ratios and how can you determine how to get what you want if you need to change the ball to act (equivalent) like a higher or lower ratio than what I stated here.

Same goes for a high ratio ball Drilling to begin with.

The reason I asked is because you're not changing the drill or Val angles (can't change them) .

I hope that gets my question across okay.

rr
Balance holes in symmetrical designed balls will change the drill angle and therefore the Drill Angle/VAL Angle ratio. Another effect of balance holes, ball motion wise, is the effect on the drilled diffs of the ball. Balance holes effect the diffs and therefore diff ratios as well as the angle ratios.

As far as what effect hole locations have and when to use them, refer to the gradient-line balance hole method. Let me know if you have specific question that doesn't address.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... nd_Out.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James Talley
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

ok, what effect will a weight hole have on ratios of asymmetrical (after drilling most balls are asymmetrical correct?) and in what direction will the ratios change depending on the hole location?

I gave an example of a low ratio drilling on a asymmetrical ball because I was curious if it is effective as an original drilled layout. I know the pin and actual drill & val angles will markup the same.

so if I use 50 x 4 x 40 low ratio example, how can one get a 60 x 4 x 30 effective layout with weight holes? or a 40 x 4 x 50 layout equivalent?

or can you even predict the end result?

another example is a friend has two balls with what I'll call exact layouts. his balls react too early. he wants to change one to go a lot longer. can he do it?
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

rrb6699 wrote:ok, what effect will a weight hole have on ratios of asymmetrical (after drilling most balls are asymmetrical correct?) and in what direction will the ratios change depending on the hole location?

I gave an example of a low ratio drilling on a asymmetrical ball because I was curious if it is effective as an original drilled layout. I know the pin and actual drill & val angles will markup the same.

so if I use 50 x 4 x 40 low ratio example, how can one get a 60 x 4 x 30 effective layout with weight holes? or a 40 x 4 x 50 layout equivalent?

or can you even predict the end result?

another example is a friend has two balls with what I'll call exact layouts. his balls react too early. he wants to change one to go a lot longer. can he do it?
Balance holes affect the Totals more than the Ratio.
Your friend can utilize a P1 hole to effectively raise the totals to get the ball to go longer.
Otherwise play one dull and the other shiny. I have done this with good success.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

In his case that wouldn't work. because both his balls are too early. he has a spinner track that tracks 1" from his thumb, but the circumference around the ball for a tilt measurement would be small in inches. not sure what that measurement is but thats how I can best describe his track. his speed is in the 13s .

for me surface works. I'm 17+ downlane and when approaches allow it , I'm in the mid 18s sometimes 19.
depending on conditions I can make that match up with low friction surface on drier conditions or say 1000 abralon on heavier volume or longer shots.
regardless I just go with cover stock "strength" and qdjust surface.

so I generally can make a ball go long, he will need the P1 hole unless he wants to have rougher surface on heavier conditions with one of his balls (I suggested arson low flare) and leave the other (Hustle Ink) shined up.

he has a Reax 2 and Blue Tropical Breeze too, but at his speed and ball track everything he has on any house shot under 42' is too early. unfortunately for him, most house shots locally are 40' or less.
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Arkansas »

Balance holes should be used to effect the shape of the hook zone. Use surface to affect the length to the first transition.
James Talley
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

rrb6699 wrote:In his case that wouldn't work. because both his balls are too early. he has a spinner track that tracks 1" from his thumb, but the circumference around the ball for a tilt measurement would be small in inches. not sure what that measurement is but thats how I can best describe his track. his speed is in the 13s .

for me surface works. I'm 17+ downlane and when approaches allow it , I'm in the mid 18s sometimes 19.
depending on conditions I can make that match up with low friction surface on drier conditions or say 1000 abralon on heavier volume or longer shots.
regardless I just go with cover stock "strength" and qdjust surface.

so I generally can make a ball go long, he will need the P1 hole unless he wants to have rougher surface on heavier conditions with one of his balls (I suggested arson low flare) and leave the other (Hustle Ink) shined up.

he has a Reax 2 and Blue Tropical Breeze too, but at his speed and ball track everything he has on any house shot under 42' is too early. unfortunately for him, most house shots locally are 40' or less.
Your friend is playing the lanes wrong. He must be trying to play outside in the dirt. Get him to utilize the oil in the middle of the lane. There is no reason a High tilt spinner shouldn't be able to get enough length.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

it's a speed issue. he stands way left already. were gonna try a walled up house today and see how he does. he has to use urethane in that house.