New to Site and purchasing balls

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

MikadoWu

New to Site and purchasing balls

Post by MikadoWu »

Hello, My Name is Micheal and I am new to the site. My son has recently got very interested in bowling and we are looking to get our own balls.

My son is a straight bowler, avg 140. He wants to get better, and is eyeing a Storm Timeless. Is this overkill as he is learning to throw a curve?

I am also a straight bowler, avg 165. Would a Plastic Ball help my game at all, they hit harder then House Balls? I was looking at a Brunswick TZone. Should I go better?

I understand Plastic balls do not hook much if at all. Are we better off practicing the motion with a Plastic Ball, drilled for our fingers?.

I am a Teacher, so I am probably buying balls online to save money. Then having a Local Pro Shop drill the holes for us. He charges $25 to drill balls from his store, and $30 for outside purchases.
I probably have a million other questions, just not sure where to start.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: New to Site and purchasing balls

Post by TonyPR »

Welcome to bowling and to BowlingChat! A plastic ball is a great beginner ball but it won't curve much. That said, before learning to roll a curve it is essential you learn solid fundamentals like timing, balance and a free armswing. I would strongly recommend investing in a few lessons from a certified coach. A plastic ball is good for picking up spares with a straight ball, this is a very important and often overlooked part of the game. A good spare game will bring any average up. Now to answer your question, something like an Ebonite Cyclone would be a good choice as a reactive ball for a beginner who wants to learn to hook it. Also, if you are going to take bowling seriously, a good pair of shoes can be even more important than a ball. They can be expensive but most are well built and last a long time. Please keep us informed about your progress.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
MikadoWu

Post by MikadoWu »

TonyPR wrote:Welcome to bowling and to BowlingChat! A plastic ball is a great beginner ball but it won't curve much. That said, before learning to roll a curve it is essential you learn solid fundamentals like timing, balance and a free armswing. I would strongly recommend investing in a few lessons from a certified coach. A plastic ball is good for picking up spares with a straight ball, this is a very important and often overlooked part of the game. A good spare game will bring any average up. Now to answer your question, something like an Ebonite Cyclone would be a good choice as a reactive ball for a beginner who wants to learn to hook it. Also, if you are going to take bowling seriously, a good pair of shoes can be even more important than a ball. They can be expensive but most are well built and last a long time. Please keep us informed about your progress.
Thank you for the Feedback. The closet training to me is the Kegel training center. At a starting price of $300, going to have to pass for now.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

MikadoWu wrote:Hello, My Name is Micheal and I am new to the site. My son has recently got very interested in bowling and we are looking to get our own balls.

My son is a straight bowler, avg 140. He wants to get better, and is eyeing a Storm Timeless. Is this overkill as he is learning to throw a curve?

I am also a straight bowler, avg 165. Would a Plastic Ball help my game at all, they hit harder then House Balls? I was looking at a Brunswick TZone. Should I go better?

I understand Plastic balls do not hook much if at all. Are we better off practicing the motion with a Plastic Ball, drilled for our fingers?.

I am a Teacher, so I am probably buying balls online to save money. Then having a Local Pro Shop drill the holes for us. He charges $25 to drill balls from his store, and $30 for outside purchases.
I probably have a million other questions, just not sure where to start.
Most Pro Shops will match internet pricing unless you are buying on used equipment on ebay.

Having a proper fit is imperative to learning the game correctly. So regardless of what kind of ball you have this is the first step in becoming better at this game.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

MikadoWu wrote:
Thank you for the Feedback. The closet training to me is the Kegel training center. At a starting price of $300, going to have to pass for now.
I know it may seem like a lot of money but when you get more addicted to bowling (it's addictive), having Kegel near your home is a blessing and worth every penny. I would recommend visiting and talking to coach Del Warren, they have a pro shop there and I am sure he will help you even if you are not ready to take a lesson yet.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
MikadoWu

Post by MikadoWu »

TonyPR wrote:
I know it may seem like a lot of money but when you get more addicted to bowling (it's addictive), having Kegel near your home is a blessing and worth every penny. I would recommend visiting and talking to coach Del Warren, they have a pro shop there and I am sure he will help you even if you are not ready to take a lesson yet.
Son and I are going to head friday and see what they say. As for addicting, he csn get addicted. Between my scuba diving, cars and soccer teams, i have enough addictions. :)

Thank you for the help.