BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Layout suggestions for a no-thumb one hander

Post by VLe »

I’m drilling few balls for a bowler that is a no-thumb, one hander. Here are the spec’s:

Speed: 17mph
Tilt: 7degrees
Rev: 450*
Rotation: 40-50

The problem is not only about the layout but about the balance hole placement. It can be drilled as “thumbhole”, but it must be with short span (about 3-3,5” from fingers), otherwise it will disturb the bowler who doesn’t want it to be underneath the palm. Other option is to drill the balance hole far away from fingers (to VAL for example). PAP is about 5 7/8” away and 1”below grip midline (center of fingers). Track is very close to middle finger hole (sometimes rolls over it).

The ball that is plugged and will be used is Storm Hy-road pearl (RG 2.57, diff 0.046, symmetric).

I will also plug and drill a Storm Crux for him. Both of these balls have been extremely flippy for the bowler (don’t know about the existing layout at the moment).

How would you layout these balls?

*Edited the rpm's a little lower after more video analyzation.
Last edited by VLe on September 30th, 2017, 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Layout suggestions for a no-thumb one hander

Post by 44boyd »

Tom Daugherty owns the local pro shop for me and he sells the balls he tests for EBI. Most of his layouts besides his urethane are standard pin up with adjustments to CG and normal thumb hole. He said surface adjustments are more crucial for him than layouts are. If that helps at all.
Stacy