Board index » Mo & Friends » Ball & Layout Advice

Post subject: 6" pin?
 Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:48 am Post Number: #1 Post

Reputation Power: 1
https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowlin ... ll-motion/ I have read this articale and the 6" pin looks interesting, i may redrill my Roto Grip Critical Thoery with this. I have all bases covered in my arsenal and willing to try something different. The ball drilled with a 6" pin to pap is 50 x 6 x 30, any ideas to with drilling please with the 6" pin to pap please. I am after go long on 2nd burn long oil. The Critical Thoery is pearl RG 24.9, DIFF .058 INT DIFF.013...cheers

Post subject: Re: 6" pin?
 Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:00 pm Post Number: #2 Post
BCU Graduate Layouts

Reputation Power: 3
ballspoint wrote:
https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowling-tips/pin-to-pap-distance-and-its-effect-on-bowling-ball-motion/ I have read this articale and the 6" pin looks interesting, i may redrill my Roto Grip Critical Thoery with this. I have all bases covered in my arsenal and willing to try something different. The ball drilled with a 6" pin to pap is 50 x 6 x 30, any ideas to with drilling please with the 6" pin to pap please. I am after go long on 2nd burn long oil. The Critical Thoery is pearl RG 24.9, DIFF .058 INT DIFF.013...cheers

I would look for a gap in your arsenal.
A 6" pin to PAP is further than anything I would recommend.

The hook phase will be very short and angular. Speed control will be critical, no pun intended.
I think that as soon as the ball sees friction it will flip and want to roll forward.

50-6-30........... the totals are for long oil, the Ratio 1.6:1 is Benchmark for you.
You want to use this ball on a burned up longer pattern. There will be friction in the midlane
I would recommend a low flare layout 80-2-35.

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
65* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16mph off hand

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:07 pm Post Number: #3 Post
Trusted Source

Reputation Power: 5
ballspoint wrote:
https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowling-tips/pin-to-pap-distance-and-its-effect-on-bowling-ball-motion/ I have read this articale and the 6" pin looks interesting, i may redrill my Roto Grip Critical Thoery with this. I have all bases covered in my arsenal and willing to try something different. The ball drilled with a 6" pin to pap is 50 x 6 x 30, any ideas to with drilling please with the 6" pin to pap please. I am after go long on 2nd burn long oil. The Critical Thoery is pearl RG 24.9, DIFF .058 INT DIFF.013...cheers

If you study the article, the long layout with the 6" pin to PAP was on a symmetrical ball. Farther down in the article it shows the 6" pin to PAP on an asymmetrical ball (description only, no video) and it shows that it will face up sooner. That is if you are using the 50* drilling angle. If you use a weaker M.B. placement (90* drilling angle), then it will flare as a symmetrical

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:08 pm Post Number: #4 Post

I got my Critical Theory drilled 80 51/2 35, it was against recommendations given here but i wanted to try it. And i works, for me.
It low flare, goes long, very long infact,( freshly resurfaced 1000grit) but still hits solid. Will work medium oil and on the burn in long oil. What i like about it , doesnt flip, just stays in the same roll, as the dry flares are parrell with the wet. So for me it goes straight so no issues hooking in the burn, (too much). But will get back after some comps, as thats when it matters and the real truth shows.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:26 pm Post Number: #5 Post
BCU Graduate Layouts

Reputation Power: 3
ballspoint wrote:
I got my Critical Theory drilled 80 51/2 35, it was against recommendations given here but i wanted to try it. And i works, for me.
It low flare, goes long, very long infact,( freshly resurfaced 1000grit) but still hits solid. Will work medium oil and on the burn in long oil. What i like about it , doesnt flip, just stays in the same roll, as the dry flares are parrell with the wet. So for me it goes straight so no issues hooking in the burn, (too much). But will get back after some comps, as thats when it matters and the real truth shows.

In your original post you proposed the layout 50-6-30.
You drilled the Critical 80-5.5-35. I hate to tell you this but you Did take into consideration the recommendations given. Higher totals, larger Drilling angle, larger VAL angle and shorter pin, there is nothing in the layout that you did not change. I am glad you did not stick with your original idea and ended up with something usable.

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
65* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16mph off hand

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:57 am Post Number: #6 Post

EricHartwell wrote:
In your original post you proposed the layout 50-6-30.
You drilled the Critical 80-5.5-35. I hate to tell you this but you Did take into consideration the recommendations given. Higher totals, larger Drilling angle, larger VAL angle and shorter pin, there is nothing in the layout that you did not change. I am glad you did not stick with your original idea and ended up with something usable.

The 50-6-30 was the ball drilling in the articale, not what i was going to drill, my mistake in wrting. The ball is working fine thanks, as i said it goes a bit too long, but as it was an experiment i will live with what i have, or may change it.

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:42 pm Post Number: #7 Post
Certified Coach

Reputation Power: 2
If it goes a bit too long you can try adding some surface.

Axis Tilt - 3* (yikes!!!)
Axis Rotation - depends on what I want the ball to do

Board index » Mo & Friends » Ball & Layout Advice