Board index » Mo & Friends » Ball & Layout Advice




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ball Drilling layout
 Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:12 pm Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: August 28, 2017
Posts: 11
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
I am fairly new to understanding drilling layouts. I am wanting to purchase this ball but unsure what the layout means. Have never used a ball with a weight hole does that mean this ball is stronger, less aggressive or what should I expect with this layout?


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ball Drilling layout
 Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:16 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: January 18, 2010
Posts: 3036
Reputation: 433
Reputation Power: 5
bowler389 wrote:
I am fairly new to understanding drilling layouts. I am wanting to purchase this ball but unsure what the layout means. Have never used a ball with a weight hole does that mean this ball is stronger, less aggressive or what should I expect with this layout?

PIn down (larger VAL angles) have a very long hook zone and not a lot of angle at the pocket (unless you have a lot of revs). The hole would depend on where your PAP is located in relationship to where the hole is located on the ball. For the average PAP, that hole in the picture would not be expected to do much more than make the ball legal.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ball Drilling layout
 Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:45 pm Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: August 28, 2017
Posts: 11
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Im not too sure exactly what my PAP but my rev rate is about 550 and im a two handed bowler.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ball Drilling layout
 Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:41 pm Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: July 9, 2012
Posts: 1073
Location: Central Florida
Reputation: 366
Reputation Power: 4
bowler389 wrote:
Im not too sure exactly what my PAP but my rev rate is about 550 and im a two handed bowler.


Given that your a 2 handed bowler, You most likely don't use the thumb.

That means the ball is illegal for you to roll as is.

Your going to have to have either the thumb hole or the weight hole plugged or possibly have the whole thing plugged and redrilled so it meets static weight requirements.

_________________
Click my green + rep button if this helps!
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ball Drilling layout
 Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:12 pm Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts
User avatar

Joined: April 4, 2011
Posts: 2887
Location: Michigan
Reputation: 249
Reputation Power: 3
bowler389 wrote:
I am fairly new to understanding drilling layouts. I am wanting to purchase this ball but unsure what the layout means. Have never used a ball with a weight hole does that mean this ball is stronger, less aggressive or what should I expect with this layout?

Have you found the BowlingChat University? Image button at the top of the page.
A great place to learn about layouts. http://bcu.bowlingchat.net/

I doubt the legality of the existing drilling for a one handed thumb in bowler. The Balance hole doesn't look low enough.

You are going to need to invest another $50-$75 to plug and re-drill.
I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it and that is only if the finger grips fit nicely. That will save you about $10 on the plug and re-drill by re-using them.

Can't make out the name in the pic, What Storm ball is it anyway?

_________________
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
65* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16mph off hand


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ball Drilling layout
 Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:56 pm Post Number: #6 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: August 28, 2017
Posts: 11
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
EricHartwell wrote:
Have you found the BowlingChat University? Image button at the top of the page.
A great place to learn about layouts. http://bcu.bowlingchat.net/

I doubt the legality of the existing drilling for a one handed thumb in bowler. The Balance hole doesn't look low enough.

You are going to need to invest another $50-$75 to plug and re-drill.
I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it and that is only if the finger grips fit nicely. That will save you about $10 on the plug and re-drill by re-using them.

Can't make out the name in the pic, What Storm ball is it anyway?


No I haven't but I will have to check it out thank you, yeah that's the consensus is im going to have to get the whole thing re drilled. Im getting it for 40 so even with re drill still a little cheaper than anything ive found cause I can get it done for 40. Its the alpha crux


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ball Drilling layout
 Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:26 pm Post Number: #7 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts
User avatar

Joined: April 4, 2011
Posts: 2887
Location: Michigan
Reputation: 249
Reputation Power: 3
Alpha Crux, an Asymmetrical ball.
I hope you have a good driller that will take the time and figure out your release specs and PAP before drilling it. $40 is cheap for a full 4 hole plug and re-drill.

_________________
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
65* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16mph off hand


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Mo & Friends » Ball & Layout Advice


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: