Ball Drilling layout

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

bowler389

Ball Drilling layout

Post by bowler389 »

I am fairly new to understanding drilling layouts. I am wanting to purchase this ball but unsure what the layout means. Have never used a ball with a weight hole does that mean this ball is stronger, less aggressive or what should I expect with this layout?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Ball Drilling layout

Post by elgavachon »

bowler389 wrote:I am fairly new to understanding drilling layouts. I am wanting to purchase this ball but unsure what the layout means. Have never used a ball with a weight hole does that mean this ball is stronger, less aggressive or what should I expect with this layout?
PIn down (larger VAL angles) have a very long hook zone and not a lot of angle at the pocket (unless you have a lot of revs). The hole would depend on where your PAP is located in relationship to where the hole is located on the ball. For the average PAP, that hole in the picture would not be expected to do much more than make the ball legal.
bowler389

Post by bowler389 »

Im not too sure exactly what my PAP but my rev rate is about 550 and im a two handed bowler.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

bowler389 wrote:Im not too sure exactly what my PAP but my rev rate is about 550 and im a two handed bowler.
Given that your a 2 handed bowler, You most likely don't use the thumb.

That means the ball is illegal for you to roll as is.

Your going to have to have either the thumb hole or the weight hole plugged or possibly have the whole thing plugged and redrilled so it meets static weight requirements.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

bowler389 wrote:I am fairly new to understanding drilling layouts. I am wanting to purchase this ball but unsure what the layout means. Have never used a ball with a weight hole does that mean this ball is stronger, less aggressive or what should I expect with this layout?
Have you found the BowlingChat University? Image button at the top of the page.
A great place to learn about layouts. http://bcu.bowlingchat.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I doubt the legality of the existing drilling for a one handed thumb in bowler. The Balance hole doesn't look low enough.

You are going to need to invest another $50-$75 to plug and re-drill.
I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it and that is only if the finger grips fit nicely. That will save you about $10 on the plug and re-drill by re-using them.

Can't make out the name in the pic, What Storm ball is it anyway?
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
bowler389

Post by bowler389 »

EricHartwell wrote: Have you found the BowlingChat University? Image button at the top of the page.
A great place to learn about layouts. http://bcu.bowlingchat.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I doubt the legality of the existing drilling for a one handed thumb in bowler. The Balance hole doesn't look low enough.

You are going to need to invest another $50-$75 to plug and re-drill.
I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it and that is only if the finger grips fit nicely. That will save you about $10 on the plug and re-drill by re-using them.

Can't make out the name in the pic, What Storm ball is it anyway?
No I haven't but I will have to check it out thank you, yeah that's the consensus is im going to have to get the whole thing re drilled. Im getting it for 40 so even with re drill still a little cheaper than anything ive found cause I can get it done for 40. Its the alpha crux
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Alpha Crux, an Asymmetrical ball.
I hope you have a good driller that will take the time and figure out your release specs and PAP before drilling it. $40 is cheap for a full 4 hole plug and re-drill.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand