Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Symmetrical PSA question

Post by TonyPR »

If the PSA moves to the place of most asymmetry in a ball, on a symmetrical ball drilled with only the finger holes (no thumb or balance hole), holes drilled 3.5" deep, will the PSA be at a spot around where the finger holes are drilled?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
bfweld

Re: Symmetrical PSA question

Post by bfweld »

I believe that answer is no, the core is still going to prefer spinning end over end. You are basically just making the core shorter/taking weight off of the top of the core and lowering the diffs.

It will also depend on where the finger holes are in relation to the core/pin....like a pin down or pin in a finger isn't going to strengthen the MB or move it much, it may even make the ball more symmetrical depending on the core shape. A pin up drilling depending on how far above the fingers the pin is could put the fingers in a position to strengthen the MB and move it slightly towards the fingers. I believe it would be very hard to have it right near the fingers unless the fingers are so far below the pin that they go right into the side of the core instead of the top. I'd be curious to see what I ball does when drilled like that...
PAP 5x1 1/8
15.5mph off hand
260-270rev rate
7* tilt
70* rotation
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

TonyPR wrote:If the PSA moves to the place of most asymmetry in a ball, on a symmetrical ball drilled with only the finger holes (no thumb or balance hole), holes drilled 3.5" deep, will the PSA be at a spot around where the finger holes are drilled?
No, The PSA is always 6 3/4" from the Low RG axis (Pin), which is usually nearer the finger holes than that.

The finger holes move the Low RG axis (Pin) slightly I believe, so you would have to know the new pin location to measure to the PSA. But you would need a RG swing to find the Low RG.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Ok, so effectively, when drilling only the finger holes and drilling them deep (like Mo recommends in the no thumb instructions) we are anchoring the PSA near the bottom of the symmetrical core (pin being the top) and the location of this PSA depends on the core shape. The elongated core (Ridiculous) will go longer and sharper, the more rounded core (Primo) will tend to be more midlane arc. Correct?

Finally since the PSA would be near the bottom of the core, the drilling angle on a no thumb ball would be on the larger side and the differentials would be at or lower than the undrilled ball because there is no thumb/balance hole affecting the diffs. That I guess is why symmetrical balls drilled with only the finger holes have a weaker core reaction and are generally easier to get down lane. Therefore ball selection, pin to pap, VAL angle and surface are key for this type of drilling. Although the Radical instructions for no thumb layouts don't mention VAL angle nor give recommended ranges. I really wish they did because they affect how high or how low the pin would end up from the finger holes and this would greatly affect the reaction IF we decided to drill a balance hole.

Comments?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
bfweld

Post by bfweld »

TonyPR wrote:Ok, so effectively, when drilling only the finger holes and drilling them deep (like Mo recommends in the no thumb instructions) we are anchoring the PSA near the bottomThe side of the core, not the bottom. of the symmetrical core (pin being the top) and the location of this PSA depends on the core shape. The elongated core (Ridiculous) will go longer and sharper, the more rounded core (Primo) will tend to be more midlane arc. Correct?Yes and no, that is an RG thing...but also typically within core design, more core weight towards the pin is going to produce an earlier reaction, more weight away from the pin is going to give a later reaction, and weight very centered will be medium length reaction.

Finally since the PSA would be near the bottom of the core, the drilling angle on a no thumb ball would be on the larger sideThat is really going to depend on where the fingers are in relation to where the pin/core is, pin to the side of the fingers is going to pull the MB around to that side a bit which would increase the drill angle if the pin is to the right of the fingers for a righty and could decrease the drill angle if the pin is to the left...but all of that is also going to differ depending on where the low RG ends up after drilling the fingers. and the differentials would be at or lower than the undrilled ball because there is no thumb/balance hole affecting the diffs.Overall yes, but still depends on core design and location of the fingers. That I guess is why symmetrical balls drilled with only the finger holes have a weaker core reaction and are generally easier to get down lane. Therefore ball selection, pin to pap, VAL angle and surface are key for this type of drilling. Although the Radical instructions for no thumb layouts don't mention VAL angle nor give recommended ranges. I really wish they did because they affect how high or how low the pin would end up from the finger holes and this would greatly affect the reaction IF we decided to drill a balance hole.Yes that is true, to drill a ball like that and have the least effect on differentials and placement of the MB I would say that any of Radicals cores with the finger scoop would be the best bet for that with a pin up drilling since there is less core in that area to be removed and you would increase the asymmetry slightly if the pin is an inch or two or more above the fingers.

Comments?
Responses in red
PAP 5x1 1/8
15.5mph off hand
260-270rev rate
7* tilt
70* rotation