Sport Control Layout Request

Post by stansadude »

Greetings,

Stats:
Speed - 13.5 on Qubica
Tilt - 7 deg
Rotation - 70
Rev Rate - 230

I recently attended a nearby Mark Baker/Chris Barnes clinic during which Barnes made a interesting equipment presentation. He grouped bowlers into categories based on ball speed, rev rate and rotation angle. He then provided ball and layout recommendations for short/med/long, heavy/med vol sport patterns. I asked about angle of tilt but he did not offer much in response.

I need a sport control piece before I leave for this year's Open Championships.

Barnes presentation provide me with information I have been seeking for a while now. What ball specs should I shop for for the various conditions I encounter.

For Med length, Med volumn Sport he recommended I shop for a symetrical low RG, High Diff ball laid out with a Low 3-3/8 pin and no wt hole.

Based on this I am looking at Radical's Fix because it's layout recommendations show it is low RG, can be Sym or Assym and can be laid out with various diffs.

Especially because your recommendations have benefited me much so far, I would like to know if you agree. Also because I have not seen many Fix layout requests on this forum. Perhaps this is because bowlers are finding success with Mo's various printed layout recommendations.

1. Please advise if a Low RG, High Diff ball is a good fit for me on Med length, Med vol Sport patterns.
2. Please advise if Radicals Fix meets this criteria for me and if so, what pin length and top wt should I request.
3. Please provide a layout recommendation or which of Mo's shoud I use.

Another topic: I am seeing on the USBC Open Championships Facebook page, several bowlers are having great success this year at the BJ and Doubles and Singles playing way out with Urethane. Since I will be driving to Las Vegas, I have room in my car and want to include a Urethane in my arsenal.

I am looking at the Purple Pearl Hammer and would appreciate to know if you think this would be a good urethane option for me and what layout would work best playing out on a med sport pattern.

Again, many thanks

Regards,

Stan
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Sport Control Layout Request

Post by EricHartwell »

stansadude wrote:Barnes presentation provide me with information I have been seeking for a while now. What ball specs should I shop for for the various conditions I encounter.

For Med length, Med volumn Sport he recommended I shop for a symetrical low RG, High Diff ball laid out with a Low 3-3/8 pin and no wt hole.

Based on this I am looking at Radical's Fix because it's layout recommendations show it is low RG, can be Sym or Assym and can be laid out with various diffs.

Especially because your recommendations have benefited me much so far, I would like to know if you agree. Also because I have not seen many Fix layout requests on this forum. Perhaps this is because bowlers are finding success with Mo's various printed layout recommendations.

1. Please advise if a Low RG, High Diff ball is a good fit for me on Med length, Med vol Sport patterns.
2. Please advise if Radicals Fix meets this criteria for me and if so, what pin length and top wt should I request.
3. Please provide a layout recommendation or which of Mo's shoud I use.
A low 3 3/8" pin.... I would assume this to mean a larger VAL angle. A rather vague layout description.
My recommendations...
xx-4.25-40 Symmetrical
30-4.5-50 P3 Asymmetrical

Recommendation for the Fix from the Radical drillsheet .... Asymmetric Layout F But...
I would modify it to 60-3 3/4-40 bal hole 1.5" below PAP on the VAL
Using the higher VAL angle for a more controllable hook because of your higher rotation. I think the 30 VAL from the drillsheet will be too angular with your high rotation to give you the control you are looking for.
stansadude wrote:Another topic: I am seeing on the USBC Open Championships Facebook page, several bowlers are having great success this year at the BJ and Doubles and Singles playing way out with Urethane. Since I will be driving to Las Vegas, I have room in my car and want to include a Urethane in my arsenal.

I am looking at the Purple Pearl Hammer and would appreciate to know if you think this would be a good urethane option for me and what layout would work best playing out on a med sport pattern.
Purple Hammer xx-4-45
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand