Are solid bowling balls bad for rev dominant bowlers?

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

brood915

Are solid bowling balls bad for rev dominant bowlers?

Post by brood915 »

My ball speed is relatively slow (12~14 mph). Will venom shock burn up too quickly on the lane for me? My house lane is usually dry.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Re: Are solid bowling balls bad for rev dominant bowlers?

Post by RobMautner »

The primary difference between solids, hybrids, and pearls is the OOB finish that comes on the ball. Solids usually come with a dull surface, pearls come polished as do most hybrids. Unless you want to carry a zillion balls around with you, a solid is your best bet for the simple reason that you can change the surface to match up to whatever lane condition you happen to encounter.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Solid = No mika flake, less inherent surface texture
Pearl = Added mika flake, more inherent surface texture

Both balls can have their surface adjusted to match up to your game.
It doesnt matter much which you choose, pearls will dig into the lane a bit more due to the mika flake acting as a particle.
jsluk
THS Average: 175
Positive Axis Point: Right Handed - 5" over 1/2" up
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Virtual Gravity 40x4x40
Medium Oil Ball: MoRich Frenzy 70x5.5x60 P3; MoRich Craze 60x2.25x40 P2
Light Oil Ball: Radical Cyclops 115x1.75x45; Low Flare

Post by jsluk »

brood915 wrote:My ball speed is relatively slow (12~14 mph). Will venom shock burn up too quickly on the lane for me? My house lane is usually dry.
We have about the same ball speeds but how did you measure your speed. What are the rest of your specs? With recommendations from Eric H. here on the forum, I just drilled up a #14 Venom Shock with a low flare layout 60x4.75x70 no balance hole yet. My league conditions are light oil THS with flying backend. Just bowled my first 3 games with this ball in league and for me there were no signs of my ball burning up.
Right handed
Lanes - synthetic;
14 mph off hand
Revs 300 rpm
AR - 50 to 70 degrees
AT - 17 degrees
PAP - 5" over 1/2" up
brood915

Post by brood915 »

jsluk wrote:
We have about the same ball speeds but how did you measure your speed. What are the rest of your specs? With recommendations from Eric H. here on the forum, I just drilled up a #14 Venom Shock with a low flare layout 60x4.75x70 no balance hole yet. My league conditions are light oil THS with flying backend. Just bowled my first 3 games with this ball in league and for me there were no signs of my ball burning up.
I got it from the screen. Thanks for the info.
LittleTiger

Post by LittleTiger »

brood915 wrote:I got it from the screen. Thanks for the info.
It is impossible to say without other specs if you are rev or speed dominant.

If I remember right you need add about 2 mph that screen value to get off the hand speed.
Let's take your average speed 13 (+ 2 mph = 15 mph) and then look this chart.

It basically says that if you rev rate is somewhere under 200 rpm you are actual speed dominant, between 200-250 rpm you are mached up and if you rev rate is over 250 you are rev dominant.

So to be able to give good answers we you should provide more information. Please, read this.

brood915 wrote:My ball speed is relatively slow (12~14 mph). Will venom shock burn up too quickly on the lane for me? My house lane is usually dry.
Why you are thinking that it would burn up too quickly? Do you have had issues like that with your current ball(s)? And if you have which ball it is?

I'm very rev dominant (15 mph off the hand, 330 rpm and 60* axis rotation) and I have actually noticed that on my specs biggest problem is that if balls does not have enough surface they do not lose enough axis rotation before breakpoint and basically any ball will do very strong skid-slip reaction which is difficult to control. But if you have example 30* axis rotation you should not have that issue.