VAL angle influence

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

SaltandPepa

VAL angle influence

Post by SaltandPepa »

What kind of influence does VAL angle have on a ball when it encounters friction early on the lane ?
Does VAL angle only determens ball shape, hookzone and how quick it reacts at the end of the pattern ?....or it also has some influence on the ball if you encounter friction early on ?

Looking at Storm Hyroad pearl that I have pin in the Ring finger (70x4x1/2x50) that ball should easily glide through the friction and have lenght ( high angle sums) and larger hook (50 VAL angle) zone but the truth is because of fast response coverstock that Hyroad pearl has ball check wright away no matter where the friction is on the lane...If you have lower tilt like me and you have slower ball speed you actually see how you lose your tilt and speed that you imparted at release if you hit that friction early on with this fast response ball and coverstock.

This is why I think the coverstocks and the use of it have much bigger roll then the layouts itself.

If I used that layout on some slower responsive coverstock It would probably go through that friction with minimal lose in tilt or speed.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: VAL angle influence

Post by EricHartwell »

For the reasons you have mentioned ball choice is Very important when lining up an arsenal.

Coverstock is responsible for 60% of the ball motion. Layouts and balance holes are for fine tuning the reaction and its shape, the other 40%.

As for your question about the VAL angle. The VAL angle in conjunction with the pin to PAP distance determines how fast the ball will transition from hook to roll.

The coverstock is going to react to the friction when it is encountered. The core will then react to that based on the drilling angle. It will resist the friction to a point if the drill angle is large enough.
A smaller drill angle will cause the core to start to rev up possibly while still in the oil before friction is even encountered. This action can cause the ball to start loosing tilt and rotation even sooner.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand