Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Recommendations for layouts

Post by VLe »

gunso wrote:
Both of those balls should be much cleaner through the fronts then the other 2. I'd suggest throwing a wet 4000 on them or even polish and see if they don't give you the reaction you are looking for without plugging them first.

At least then you could describe the layout that is on them now, what is wrong with the motion and what you are looking for instead.
Thank you for your advice. I have recently tried to undestand these two balls more. I've decided to plug the Radical Ridiculous and maybe put something like a low flare -layout for a broken down conditions to it. For the Hyper cell skid, I will make this my long&strong ball. The problem is that it is still little too snappy at the backend. Could be very useful ball if the roll would be more forward rather than 90 degrees left. :) Would it help any if I plug the current balance hole and redrill a new P1 hole instead to tame it little?

But I made new impulse purchase yesterday: 900Global Chemical X
Coverstock: S55™ Solid
Finish: 4000 Grit
Core: Pod™ Symmetric
Flare Potential: 3-4″
RG: 2.49
Diff: 0.035

This is to complement the Primo. When primo is hooking too much or I have to play too far left with it, I could use this to play strighter. I have used the Boo-Yah for this but there have been many situations where it encounters too much friction too early and loses carry. I think this should fit somewhere between these balls. BUT the question is should I hit the Chemical X with a control-layout (pin in RF or below) or just the benchmark since this should be little tamer ball than the Primo. The primo usually has a surface around 1000grit.

It has been too often lately that I have to throw somewhere at 4th arrow or more left (with Primo) in our local centers. It is hard for my style because the ball feeding machines starts to be in my way. :lol:
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

VLe wrote:For the Hyper cell skid, I will make this my long&strong ball. The problem is that it is still little too snappy at the backend. Could be very useful ball if the roll would be more forward rather than 90 degrees left. Would it help any if I plug the current balance hole and redrill a new P1 hole instead to tame it little?
Where is the balance hole?
Will the statics even allow a P1?
P1 will add length and make the ball More Asymmetric.
I'm not so sure a P1 is solution. It is a skid snap ball and the layout is not really doing anything to change that.
Lowering the rotation in your release to get less sideways reaction will definitely work.

Is it still with the Benchmark layout or did you redrill it Long and Strong?
VLe wrote:But I made new impulse purchase yesterday: 900Global Chemical X
Coverstock: S55™ Solid
Finish: 4000 Grit
Core: Pod™ Symmetric
Flare Potential: 3-4″
RG: 2.49
Diff: 0.035

This is to complement the Primo. When primo is hooking too much or I have to play too far left with it, I could use this to play strighter. I have used the Boo-Yah for this but there have been many situations where it encounters too much friction too early and loses carry. I think this should fit somewhere between these balls. BUT the question is should I hit the Chemical X with a control-layout (pin in RF or below) or just the benchmark since this should be little tamer ball than the Primo. The primo usually has a surface around 1000grit.
This is a tough one, comparing 2 different companies coverstocks and how they will react in comparison to each other.
The Chemical X has a weaker core producing less flare. Looking at it like that the same layout will produce more skid and a later roll. What the coverstock does in between is anybodies guess.
Adjusting the surface on them to play off each other will be key.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by VLe »

EricHartwell wrote:Where is the balance hole?
Will the statics even allow a P1?
Is it still with the Benchmark layout or did you redrill it Long and Strong?
Hyper Cell skid is still as it was before: Benchmark with balance hole about an inch to the right from PAP. Before I drill the switchgrip-sleeve off and plug the ball, I think I will test the effect of having a P1 hole on the ball anyway since it is a quick test comparing to a whole redrill... I think there will be no problem with the statics. I can even measure the effect straight away with my DIY determinator.
EricHartwell wrote:This is a tough one, comparing 2 different companies coverstocks and how they will react in comparison to each other.
The Chemical X has a weaker core producing less flare. Looking at it like that the same layout will produce more skid and a later roll. What the coverstock does in between is anybodies guess.
Adjusting the surface on them to play off each other will be key.
You are correct on this. From a starting point the Chemical X comes with a 4000grit factory surface whereas Primo is at 500-2000grit. Keeping the surfaces at that area would give them already big difference. We could ofcourse compare the Chemical X to Boo-yah which is from the same manufacturer but it is a urethane so it would still be hard.

I could drill the Chemical X with the same layout than a Boo-Yah (75-4.25-50 pin in RF) which should make it more controllable and later than Primo (58-4-37) based on a layout. But would it cause skidding too far away requiring me to sand the surface down which causes it to read the lane earlier?
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand