Experiments?

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

lanehacker
Preferred Company: dv8

Experiments?

Post by lanehacker »

With all the knowledge. The blueprint software, and the top gurus with their access to everything. Has anyone toyed with layout and ball reaction of NOT keeping a ball statically balanced as part of their studies. Is the reaction and result of a certain layout better if that layout made the ball illegal and was left that way, or would it have a negative effect on ball motion? Maybe wobble or gyrating? What if say you had a massive amount of top weight or side weight after drilling. Is it worth drilling a balance hole the perfect size to bring the statics barely legal and keeping the weights off balance as much as allowed? What about a super aggressive cover with no weight block inside?
(The things that cross your mind when you read these boards!)
pap 5 1/8 over and 3/4 up
speed 18mph
rotation 80*
tilt 12*
rpm 300
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Experiments?

Post by EricHartwell »

lanehacker wrote:With all the knowledge. The blueprint software, and the top gurus with their access to everything. Has anyone toyed with layout and ball reaction of NOT keeping a ball statically balanced as part of their studies. Is the reaction and result of a certain layout better if that layout made the ball illegal and was left that way, or would it have a negative effect on ball motion? Maybe wobble or gyrating? What if say you had a massive amount of top weight or side weight after drilling. Is it worth drilling a balance hole the perfect size to bring the statics barely legal and keeping the weights off balance as much as allowed? What about a super aggressive cover with no weight block inside?
(The things that cross your mind when you read these boards!)
The USBC did a study about static weights read about it here...

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... sStudy.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure there has been plenty of experimenting. I have done my own as well. Are any of my experiments in use today, no. You mentioned an aggressive cover with no core. That is drilling a ball with little to no flare. This creates alot of carry down and makes you play the lanes like we did back before the turn of the century. I have tried high flaring layouts with strong balance hole and ended up flaring over the thumb and or balance hole on the backend of the lanes bouncing it into the pocket.
Quite often and more times than not experiments end up wasting time and money.

Search dodo bowling balls and you can read about what they were trying in the early 1900's.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand