Reverse finger pitch for two hander?

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

brood915

Reverse finger pitch for two hander?

Post by brood915 »

Hello! My ball was originally drilled for one handed style. I think I currently have forward pitch for both finger holes. I found out that Mo suggested 7/16 for laterals and 1/4 forward for MF and 3/8 reverse for RF. I dont have any problems with flaring over my MF, so I think I dont really need to add more forward pitch to my MF.

Currently, my issue is the fit. I feel like the ball isnt really sitting in my hand firmly. Will adding 3/8 reverse help?
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Reverse finger pitch for two hander?

Post by TonyPR »

If you know someone who uses significant reverse ask him if you could borrow a ball for a few games, offer to buy him new inserts after you are done. Take out his inserts, put on yours and bowl a couple of games. 3/4" Reverse on both fingers works very good for me, once one learns a proper release, one learns to like getting out of the ball fast.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

Do you know what pitch you have in the fingers now, because 3/8" pitch change is a fairly large pitch change. Not to say it's wrong just seems like a big change.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
brood915

Post by brood915 »

Dustin wrote:Do you know what pitch you have in the fingers now, because 3/8" pitch change is a fairly large pitch change. Not to say it's wrong just seems like a big change.

I have no idea as the driller didnt tell me. But I know that they are forward.

Also, what should I do with my thumbhole? Should I move it to the right of the midline like Belmonte and Osku? Right now, the hole is not in the center of my palm. It's at the base of my thumb when I put my hand on the ball.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

For no thumb bowlers with either a one or two handed approach, the third hole (thumbhole) has more to do with layout, in symmetrical core balls the third hole will define the PSA and therefore will be used to define the drilling angle.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

For no-thumb bowlers the third hole isn't a thumb hole, it's a balance hole unless the ball is statically legal based on both a grip center between the finger holes and a standard grip center for a bowler that uses his thumb. It's not easy to lay a ball out that is legal both ways, but it can be done. -- JohnP
brood915

Post by brood915 »

Thanks for the help, everyone.
I went with 1/2" reverse for both fingers. It feels a lot better. Also, I got my spare ball :P.

The PSO told me everyone gets 3/8" lateral pitch and told me not to go with 7/16". Is this true..?
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

brood915 wrote:Thanks for the help, everyone.
I went with 1/2" reverse for both fingers. It feels a lot better. Also, I got my spare ball :P.

The PSO told me everyone gets 3/8" lateral pitch and told me not to go with 7/16". Is this true..?
I'll bet it's true he drills every ball that way.

In general, when a PSO makes a statement about "everyone" needing the same pitch, he likely has bowlers with torn up fingers or huge blisters/calluses on their thumbs.
Right Handed
Speed: 18 mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: ~350 rpm
Tilt: 10*
Rotation: 55*
PAP: 5 1/8" right, 1/2" up
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

brood915 wrote:The PSO told me everyone gets 3/8" lateral pitch and told me not to go with 7/16". Is this true..?
Amateur shops (AmShop) use the words always and never and apply their paradigm regardless of customer needs (or complaints).
Professional shops (ProShop) keep an open mind to all anatomical possibilities and fit solutions.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

3/8", 3/8"...7/16", 7/16"... Some say tomato some say tomatoe... If you can play 8 games and have no rub spot/blister on the sides of your fingers leave it like it is, if not go to an IBPSIA certified pro shop and have them look at your hand and adjust for the rub spot(s). Many people just do the 3/8", 3/8" thing since the 1980's, don't know what a CLT line is and like said have customers with torn fingers who say they are proud of their bowling callouses... Bowling thumbless you can get away with more but always beware of shops who use the word always or never when it comes to fitting... I bet that the majority of the balls they drill are pin over the RF and OOB surface... Glad you liked 1/2" reverse, I bet the ball comes out better, remember to release on to the lane and not up towards the air, let the ball roll of your hand, don't lift it up with your fingers... Enjoy.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Post by Qman »

Mo suggested I to go to an oval thumb to get out of the ball sooner and so far he's right. Listen to what he suggests and don't second guess.
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor