Need ball choice help ......

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

TMack

Need ball choice help ......

Post by TMack »

Heres the low down,
I am a High School bowling coach and we just had sectional individuals event today. This year the High School bowling board members decided to use the Beaten Path oil pattern for all post season tournaments. All our girls had extreme problems getting any hook on their balls. This pattern is not very friendly to lower rev players like most girls at this level. I need advice for some ball choices that will atleast let our girls get some hook on this very difficult pattern. The pattern uses 24.25 ml of oil at 41 ft.
Also will be looking for some layout help for them also. 3 of our girls throw low/medium revs with about 45* axis rotation. Not sure about TILT. I know all information will be in general and that is fine.
Thanks, Tim
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Need ball choice help ......

Post by Mo Pinel »

TMack wrote:Heres the low down,
I am a High School bowling coach and we just had sectional individuals event today. This year the High School bowling board members decided to use the Beaten Path oil pattern for all post season tournaments. All our girls had extreme problems getting any hook on their balls. This pattern is not very friendly to lower rev players like most girls at this level. I need advice for some ball choices that will atleast let our girls get some hook on this very difficult pattern. The pattern uses 24.25 ml of oil at 41 ft.
Also will be looking for some layout help for them also. 3 of our girls throw low/medium revs with about 45* axis rotation. Not sure about TILT. I know all information will be in general and that is fine.
Thanks, Tim
Small sum of the angles, surface, and BIG balance holes in P3, P4, or Double thumb position.

That was easy!

Asymmetricals will work better because of the higher diff. ratio.

I'll be in Ft. Wayne doing a seminar on the 18th of Feb. and doing a pro shop visit @ Georgetown Bowl on Sun., Mar. 14th.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
TMack

Post by TMack »

Mo Pinel wrote: Small sum of the angles, surface, and BIG balance holes in P3, P4, or Double thumb position.

That was easy!
What type of ball would you recommend? Low RG?
TMack

Post by TMack »

Mo Pinel wrote: Small sum of the angles, surface, and BIG balance holes in P3, P4, or Double thumb position.

That was easy!

Asymmetricals will work better because of the higher diff. ratio.

I'll be in Ft. Wayne doing a seminar on the 18th of Feb. and doing a pro shop visit @ Georgetown Bowl on Sun., Mar. 14th.
Wheres the seminar ? Georgetown Bowl is right behind my house. I WILL BE THERE !!!!
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

TMack wrote: What type of ball would you recommend? Low RG?
Not the most significant factor. People are hung up on RGs too much. It's in my article "The Truth abouth Drilled Balls" in the Jan. issue of BTM. That's, also. in my seminar. Higher intermediate diff. balls and/or aggressive cover balls.

MoRich Craze, Brunswick Siege, Brunswick C System 3.5, Storm Invasion, Roto Grip Mutant Cell are all good ones.
TMack

Post by TMack »

Thanks Mo on all the sugestions.
Are you thinking something like 35 x 4 x 35 ?
Is your seminar at Crazy Pinz here in Fort Wayne? I run the pro shop at Wayne Recreation Center, its about 3 miles from Georgetown Bowl.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

TMack wrote:Thanks Mo on all the sugestions.
Are you thinking something like 35 x 4 x 35 ?
Is your seminar at Crazy Pinz here in Fort Wayne? I run the pro shop at Wayne Recreation Center, its about 3 miles from Georgetown Bowl.
The flyer is currently being made by Classic. Gudorf wanted to do it with his people. Check on it. It will be at either Crazy Pins or Georgetown. Make it. It's worth it. I'd like to meet you.

60* sum of the angles should work fine. 30 / 4 1/2" / 30 for medium to low track players.
35 / 4" / 25 for the higher track players. Use surface and big P3 or P4 holes.

See you on the 18th of Feb. Good luck in the states.
RevZiLLa
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by RevZiLLa »

Mo Pinel wrote: Not the most significant factor. People are hung up on RGs too much. It's in my article "The Truth abouth Drilled Balls" in the Jan. issue of BTM. That's, also. in my seminar. Higher intermediate diff. balls and/or aggressive cover balls.

MoRich Craze, Brunswick Siege, Brunswick C System 3.5, Storm Invasion, Roto Grip Mutant Cell are all good ones.

I understand the importance of cover, but I thought the USBC study rated RG highest in influence on ball motion of all the elements not directly related to friction? Intermediate Diff was rated at a significance similar to that of Side Weight.

My personal belief...through unscientific observation, is that Intermediate Diff is MUCH more influential than the study indicates. Am I missing something or is there more work to be done?
=======================================================
RevZ
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

RevZiLLa wrote: What type of ball would you recommend? Low RG?

I understand the importance of cover, but I thought the USBC study rated RG highest in influence on ball motion of all the elements not directly related to friction? Intermediate Diff was rated at a significance similar to that of Side Weight.

My personal belief...through unscientific observation, is that Intermediate Diff is MUCH more influential than the study indicates. Am I missing something or is there more work to be done?
Not the most significant factor. People are hung up on RGs too much. It's in my article "The Truth abouth Drilled Balls" in the Jan. issue of BTM. That's, also. in my seminar. Higher intermediate diff. balls and/or aggressive cover balls.

MoRich Craze, Brunswick Siege, Brunswick C System 3.5, Storm Invasion, Roto Grip Mutant Cell are all good ones.[/quote]

The parameters of the study were that every ball was drilled exactly the same. No attempt to enhance mass properties thru layouts was included. This has been discussed by the people involved in the study. More studies need to be done using different parameters including different layouts and measuring the RG of the PAP, which is the only one that matters once the ball is on the lane.