Spinner layout on a Slingshot

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

wpzone
Preferred Company: Storm

Spinner layout on a Slingshot

Post by wpzone »

I am looking for a layout for my father. He changed houses this year and is really struggling with the pattern. The house has synthetic fronts with wood backends and has a very low volume house shot. Because of a lower back/hip injury he is unable to get much speed on the ball and each ball he has has tends to read early and over react regardless of the ball surfaces.

He currently has a Twisted Fury, V2 Sweet, and a Messenger, all 15lbs with the pin below fingers and MB in the strong position. I just picked up a 14lb slingshot for him to help with the dry conditions and maybe a bit more ball speed. Below are his specs as best as I can estimate them.

Speed - 13 Quibeca
Revs - 200
PAP - 3 1/2> 1/2^
tilt -20ish

With his release, the ball actually starts down the lane almost rolling backwards, transitions into a spinner, then at the break it will tilt and face the pocket correctly. He has a very odd release due to a different injury from about 20 years ago.

I was unable to get a clear track reading from his ball due to the low volume of oil so these are very rough. I know any layouts that are suggested will not be truely accurate because of they will be fine. He only bowls once a week and is just there for a night out. My main concern was to get something that he doesnt have to heave down the lane and help alleviate the pain he is in while bowling (actually all the time, bowling just tends to be worse.

I need to get the ball drilled Friday afternoon, 11/12.

Thanks in advance
fufu
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55

Re: Spinner layout on a Slingshot

Post by fufu »

Well, i'll take a stab.

We have low, low speed. Certainly rev dominant, but lots of tilt. Do you have axis rotation estimate?

I would consider something like 90* x 4-4.5 x 20*. My reasoning: first we want the biggest drilling angle with his low ball speed. 4" pin to bleed off the tilt, but not too quickly. 20* val angle b/c it should get the ball to transition quick and then forward roll which hopefully will give him alittle more control. I fear a larger val angle will create a much longer hook spot and continue to give him trouble.
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mo Balls
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 over x 5/8 up
Speed: 17.5
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 80
Heavy Oil Ball: MoRich RipR
Medium Oil Ball: MoRich Perpetual MOtion
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick Avalanche Urethane
Preferred Company: MoRich

Post by Mo Balls »

My reasoning tells me that you should probably use a ratio of drilling angles closer to 1:1. Using the same sum of angles in the above suggestion, I would tend to lean more towards 65/4/45 layout. I would be careful of using a pin distance greater than 4. Because this ball only has a .017" total diff, going with a longer pin distance might cut the flare too much on a ball that doesn't flare a lot naturally. The more even angles should help prevent over-reaction when the ball encounters friction, and a P1 hole can be used if you need to smooth out the reaction further.
[size=150][color=#BF0000][b]M I N I - M O[/b][/color][/size]

PAP: 3 1/2 x 5/8 up
Tilt: 10°
Rotation: 80°
Speed: 18.5 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 350 rpm

MoRich [color=#BF0000]Perpetual[/color] [color=#FFBF40]MOtion[/color] - 70/4/45
MoRich [color=#000000]R[/color][color=#0000BF]ip[/color][color=#FFFFFF]R[/color] - 65/3.75/30 P3
Brunswick [color=#0000BF]Avalanche[/color] [color=#BF008F]Urethane[/color] - 65/3.5/35
Brunswick [color=#BF00BF]Power Groove[/color] [color=#FFFFFF]Reactive[/color] - 80/3/50
Faball [color=#FF0080]High Rev 3D Offset[/color] - DT
wpzone

Post by wpzone »

Thanks. I am leaning towards the 65 x 4 x 45.
Mo Balls
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 over x 5/8 up
Speed: 17.5
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 80
Heavy Oil Ball: MoRich RipR
Medium Oil Ball: MoRich Perpetual MOtion
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick Avalanche Urethane
Preferred Company: MoRich

Post by Mo Balls »

Let us know how things end up for your father... Hopefully he is able to enjoy bowling with less pain :)
[size=150][color=#BF0000][b]M I N I - M O[/b][/color][/size]

PAP: 3 1/2 x 5/8 up
Tilt: 10°
Rotation: 80°
Speed: 18.5 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 350 rpm

MoRich [color=#BF0000]Perpetual[/color] [color=#FFBF40]MOtion[/color] - 70/4/45
MoRich [color=#000000]R[/color][color=#0000BF]ip[/color][color=#FFFFFF]R[/color] - 65/3.75/30 P3
Brunswick [color=#0000BF]Avalanche[/color] [color=#BF008F]Urethane[/color] - 65/3.5/35
Brunswick [color=#BF00BF]Power Groove[/color] [color=#FFFFFF]Reactive[/color] - 80/3/50
Faball [color=#FF0080]High Rev 3D Offset[/color] - DT
fufu
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by fufu »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the reaction Curly gets on this video....assuming your dad is similar in style.
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wpzone

Post by wpzone »

Just a quick update:
His first game out of the box was 239 with a gutter spare (his wrist brace popped off) in the 8th after a 5 bagger. This was his first 200 game of the year. He struggled a bit in the second game with transition but I was able to line him back up in the 3rd for 196. The lighter weight was also easier for him to throw and took some pressure off of his hip. He was very happy with it.

FWIW - I also drilled up a slingshot for myself - 55x4.5x35. Ball was very clean up front and smooth off the break. It gave me a ton of area on this dry house shot that I struggled getting anything else passed the midlane previously.