Positive Axis Point: 5>1^
Speed: 15.5
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Medium Oil Ball: Pink Panther

MOtion Hole Recommendation

Post by Adrenaline »

Okay, I just read all 32 pages of the MOtion hole thread, and I'm sold. Just getting back into bowling after a 3 year break, and want to buy a new ball.

Is the RotoGrip Hy-Wire a good candidate for this layout?

For those who have had success with the layout, will you share how the MOtion Hole ball varied your approach on-lane relative to a benchmark layout?

Thanks in advance,
Kenny
Last edited by Adrenaline on April 1st, 2016, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: MOtion Hole Recommendation

Post by JohnP »

Check out the Radical symmetrical balls that have the Scoop technology cores, they are designed to maximize the affect of properly located balance holes. -- JohnP
sterling1954
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8" over 3/8" up
Speed: 15mph at the pin deck
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Hammer Scandal
Medium Oil Ball: Radical Yeti Uncaged
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Blk/Blu Spike
Preferred Company: Hammer

Post by sterling1954 »

I have a Radical Yeti Uncaged that loves the MOhole. I don't think I had to adjust my lines much, just can see the improved drive through the rack, reduced deflection and increased pin carry.
Adrenaline

Post by Adrenaline »

sterling1954 wrote:I have a Radical Yeti Uncaged that loves the MOhole. I don't think I had to adjust my lines much, just can see the improved drive through the rack, reduced deflection and increased pin carry.
Thanks for speaking up sterling. Just to clarify, are the lines you didn't adjust relative to the same ball before and after the MO Hole, or relative to a completely different benchmark ball? Just curious, if I should expect to be shooting the same area of the lane with a completely different ball, and getting the same motion I already have. I understand the benefits of the layout, but wasn't sure if I understood correctly about how to play the lanes. Did this layout simply remove a different ball from your lineup, should I expect it to simple replace my current benchmark ball?
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by russelldean »

Think of this motion as length, and strength. It really has a unique motion.
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

The bowlers who really take advantage of this motion, are low tilt/ low rotation/ low rev bowlers. I have drilled quite a few for low tilt/ high rotation bowlers, & they did not score because of the increased over/under on most shots.
High rev bowlers do not see the dramatic rev-up. They can score well with it if they can lock in to a lane & stay there, but most prefer a milder back-end reaction.
I would say it is a must for a low tilt/low rotation/ low rev bowler to have this layout in their bag & for everyone else it is nice to have for some conditions (long & strong as Russ said).
Adrenaline

Post by Adrenaline »

elgavachon wrote:The bowlers who really take advantage of this motion, are low tilt/ low rotation/ low rev bowlers. I have drilled quite a few for low tilt/ high rotation bowlers, & they did not score because of the increased over/under on most shots.
High rev bowlers do not see the dramatic rev-up. They can score well with it if they can lock in to a lane & stay there, but most prefer a milder back-end reaction.
I would say it is a must for a low tilt/low rotation/ low rev bowler to have this layout in their bag & for everyone else it is nice to have for some conditions (long & strong as Russ said).
So as a low tilt, low rev, but high rotation player, am I not a recommended fit for this layout?
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

No. there will be times when you like it. Deep inside when you need skid & pop to carry. I am just saying I don't think you will want all your balls drilled that way.
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by russelldean »

I am medium/low tilt, high rotation high speed. The key here, is to keep your target in front of you and create hold. This layout bypasses friction other balls read. Thats the beauty for speed dominant players.
Adrenaline

Post by Adrenaline »

Have an appointment today to get 2 balls drilled. One of which will be the MOtion hole. While trying to get my angles down before I show up, the MOtion hole layout breaks down to 115x3x55 for me. My Sweetspot via Mo, is angle sums of 85 degrees. (60x3.25x25 benchmark) The MOtionhole layout puts my angle sums at 170 degrees. Am I over thinking this?

The 'effective' angles using center of thumb hole would cut 20* off the MO hole ball, making it 95x3x55. 'effective' angles for my benchmark would add 15*, (70x3.25x25) for a Sum of 95 for my benchmark, and 150 for the MOhole.

Is this not to be worried about with the layout, or is there cause for concern that perhaps this will result in a reaction that's simply too long/too late for me?

5" horizontal PAP, so I used the Pin next to ring layout.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

No worries.
There is so much material removed, it changes the dynamics of the ball so much the angle limitations are blurred.
Just be sure to use a piece of tape to make sure the spot is flare safe, if not move the tape perpendicular to the reference line and give a little extra room, 1/4" extra room is enough.
Start with a 3/4" hole and go up 1/8" at a time.
When you split the 8-9 on flush shots consistently, STOP.
Make sure the motion hole is at least 3 1/2" deep.
Try to get the CG slightly negative of the centerline and above the midline if possible.
Be prepared to use more surface that you used to, the inertia of the ball is much more, it likes to go longer.
Adrenaline

Post by Adrenaline »

MegaMav wrote: Make sure the motion hole is at least 3 1/2" deep.
Try to get the CG slightly negative of the centerline and above the midline if possible.
This one is a bit over my head. CG Negative of the centerline... if looking at the ball, is that to the left, or right?

Here's a picture of the fake pin/layout. I used the midline/centerline intersection as a pretend CG, which measures 3" from the fake pin.

Also, I use the IT, should I stick to 3.5, original thread said 4" from 'tip' of the bit to avoid hitting the IT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Negative for a right hander is left of the centerline.
For most players the Motion hole resides in the finger quadrant and negative of the centerline.
This is where we want to offset the removed material.

If you use an IT go to 3 1/2.
If the core material isnt dense or its not perfect, like a bubble, you could crack or cause an imperfection near the Ball-IT if you go any deeper.
Adrenaline

Post by Adrenaline »

20160409_122825_HDR.jpg
20160409_122917_HDR.jpg
Bought a new RotoGrip Hy-Wire yesterday, and threw the MOtionhole layout on it as an experiment.

I guess I didn't get the angles correct, as the pin is slightly higher than my 'fake layout' had it, but there's no going back now. Got the CG to where you recommended Mav, and apparently had plenty of leeway on the balance hole.

Initial roll of the ball was uninspiring, but tape came back flare safe, although it was very close. I wasn't sure if I should have moved the hole to account for flare migration after the hole, but just left it at the correct 10" mark. Started with the 3/4" hole 3.5" deep, and the ball had a more traditional roll, similar to my benchmark type reaction. Went to a 1" hole, and started getting some nice strikes. The alley had slow-mo replays, so I actually got to watch for the ball splitting the 8/9 as Mav mentioned.

The lanes felt pretty tore up, but it's been a while for me. There was very little noticeable oil rings on the ball though. With the 1" hole my first shot was a 4-9 split, so I could tell it was definitely exiting the deck differently that the 3/4" hole. Adjusted left and threw 5 in a row. From my benchmark ball, I was 5 boards left, and 6" back with my feet, throwing 2 left at the arrows (12). (I'm not good enough to see what board I'm at at the breakpoint) The first thing I noticed was the miss room I had. I'm an admittedly weak bowler, and when I'm not shooting at an arrow, my accuracy takes a hit, and the further left I move, the more I struggle, and I mean from an accuracy standpoint, not necessarily carry. My biggest weakness is my inability to open up and get the ball 'out'. When I move left, I appear to over compensate and try with my arm to make the ball 'hook more' even though I know it's bad. My release starts to get sloppy and inconsistent. The reason I mention this, is because while I was spraying the ball between the 2nd and 3rd arrow it didn't seem to matter, the ball still made it to the pocket with power. My first full game with the 1" hole was a 237.

For the time being, I left the hole at 1", but if I'm being honest, I'd like to jump up to 1 1/4". I convinced myself to wait until I can bowl on a fresh shot, at my own house, before taking the MO hole to the next level though. Too small of a sample size to say for sure, but thus far I'm having success with the MOtion hole, and wanted to share my limited experience. Thanks to Mav for the technical help, and elgavachon + russelldean for chiming in with their thoughts!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by russelldean »

Glad to hear you like it. Give that 1' hole a few try's before going bigger. 1" is the magic number for me. 1 1/4" becomes wiggle.
Qman
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Post by Qman »

I had an original Yeti with the Motion hole, that ball was a monster on a THS.
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor
sterling1954
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8" over 3/8" up
Speed: 15mph at the pin deck
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Hammer Scandal
Medium Oil Ball: Radical Yeti Uncaged
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Blk/Blu Spike
Preferred Company: Hammer

Post by sterling1954 »

Adrenaline wrote:
Thanks for speaking up sterling. Just to clarify, are the lines you didn't adjust relative to the same ball before and after the MO Hole, or relative to a completely different benchmark ball? Just curious, if I should expect to be shooting the same area of the lane with a completely different ball, and getting the same motion I already have. I understand the benefits of the layout, but wasn't sure if I understood correctly about how to play the lanes. Did this layout simply remove a different ball from your lineup, should I expect it to simple replace my current benchmark ball?