Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

900G Black Ops layout for mid length and a big move

Post by JJakobsen »

Heya all! I had the original The Break in 2008, I also still have the Break Out. While I loved The Break, and I did like the Break Out too, mostly because it is the same ball with a new color, my PAP changed and the drilling I had on it made it track over the balance hole. The balance hole was located 5 right 1 over. Just to have it clear, the ball flared, wet and dry track, almost all over the ball. It was just useless, it hooked so much lol. But it was supposed to when we put down stuff where nothing else can move. Which we do when we wanna beat teams in the national league who only play 35' easy stuff.

Anywho... The Black Ops. I will get it to 4000grit, like The Break was. My old The Break was drilled for my 5 right 1 over, and now I got something closer to 4 right 1 3/8 over instead, due to my Sarge Easter drilling. Also, because of this drilling, I refer to Michael Fagan's axis tilt: I got a suprisingly low one. Low 20's or high teens last i measured, but that was a year ago (PAP and release still the same tho).

Ignore my signature specs.
Speed: 14mph at camera, or 23km/h if you want to be international
PAP: 4 right, 1 3/8 over
Axis tilt: Approx 20
Revs: 400 max
Axis rotation: 45

My layout is:
Left: 3 5/8 Total Span, 3 1/2 Cut to Cut, 3/8 left pitch, 49/64 insert
1/4 bridge
Right: 2 7/8 Total Span, 2 7/8 Cut to Cut, 7/16 right pitch, 1/16 reverse, 3/4 hole, no insert.
Thumb: Turbo Switch-Grip, no pitch

Also for future reference when I need a new ball drilled :)

EDIT: I can measure up roughly in dual angle what my old strong drilling was on my Break Out, the one where it flared all over, just for a reference.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: 900G Black Ops layout for mid length and a big move

Post by EricHartwell »

Asym
Benchmark 110* total 1.25:1 ratio...65-4.5-45
Control....................................... 75-5-55
Long and Strong............................85-4-45

What condition are you bowling on?
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450

Post by JJakobsen »

Our.. well, house pattern is a 42 feet pattern, mid ratio, medium-high oil amount, mid friction lanes (VIA Bowling). But we are trying out a bit different stuff in our approved Tuesday League, so it might be more oil, but it won't ever been shorter than 40. Looking at modifying WTBA Athens 40' to make it as true to the original as possible without cutting and mixing pads on our stone age AMF HVO Summit.

We never lay down low volume stuff, just to have that clear. I need a ball that can bite through it and beast back to the pins when our opponent can't, basically.

As mentioned, I'd like it to be somewhere between early roll and skid/snap, but I know these balls will go hard when they find friction unless you drill it weak. I can't find the Buddies video that got me to fall for The Break, I know it is there somewhere. But anyways, something in between in terms of length and something that really moves on heavy oil would be nice. I don't like the too early rolling balls, I tend to get moving too early in to find oil it feels, and to snappy makes me lose control over reading the ball and lane unless I just randomly hit a spot I can feed the ball to.

Writing a lot here, lol, but when I got no video, I can't give you any more than a wall of text :D
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

Well by random luck I found the pic I was looking for lol. Was looking for a funny pic for a Facebook convo...

This was drilled with the same grip, just a tad longer, 5 right 1 over, balance hole is on PAP it looks like.

This is the ball with this drilling that dry tracked over the balance hole, and hooked 20 boards on our fresh house pattern, where even a strongly drilled Gravity Shift wouldn't move more than 10-12. I could feed it to the 5th board and still go through the nose or brooklyn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

jimmydanny wrote:Well by random luck I found the pic I was looking for lol. Was looking for a funny pic for a Facebook convo...

This was drilled with the same grip, just a tad longer, 5 right 1 over, balance hole is on PAP it looks like.

This is the ball with this drilling that dry tracked over the balance hole, and hooked 20 boards on our fresh house pattern, where even a strongly drilled Gravity Shift wouldn't move more than 10-12. I could feed it to the 5th board and still go through the nose or brooklyn.
The balance hole is basically a P3. It is making it a stronger ball as well as making the static weights legal.

Now if it was drilled with the balance hole at 5 over 1 up and your PAP is 4 over 1 up the hole is not on the gradient line and Not necessarily flare safe so I am not surprised that you track over it. the balance hole is also adding to the track flare wrapping it further around the ball increasing the chance of overflaring. On a high flaring ball I can slow my ball speed, get rev dominant and make it roll over a balance hole located on the gradient line. Get rev dominant enough and can make it thump over the thumb.
Thus the need for accurate specs.

Drilled from a PAP of 5 over 1 up that layout looks like ~20-5-45. A layout for a speed dominant high tilt high rotation bowler.
From a PAP of 4 over 1-3/8 up its more like ~30-4-50 a Benchmark layout for a speed dominant bowler with 17* of tilt and high rotation.

Either way it is a strong layout.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

EricHartwell wrote:
The balance hole is basically a P3. It is making it a stronger ball as well as making the static weights legal.

Now if it was drilled with the balance hole at 5 over 1 up and your PAP is 4 over 1 up the hole is not on the gradient line and Not necessarily flare safe so I am not surprised that you track over it. the balance hole is also adding to the track flare wrapping it further around the ball increasing the chance of overflaring. On a high flaring ball I can slow my ball speed, get rev dominant and make it roll over a balance hole located on the gradient line. Get rev dominant enough and can make it thump over the thumb.
Thus the need for accurate specs.

Drilled from a PAP of 5 over 1 up that layout looks like ~20-5-45. A layout for a speed dominant high tilt high rotation bowler.
From a PAP of 4 over 1-3/8 up its more like ~30-4-50 a Benchmark layout for a speed dominant bowler with 17* of tilt and high rotation.

Either way it is a strong layout.
Solution: move the balance hole towards the grip center and it won't flare over it.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

I forgot I made this thread lol. When this was drilled, as mentioned, my track and PAP was different than now, as I got low tilt but still got my track far away from my fingers and thumb due to the grip settling a bit with my release style and hand and all that.

When I redrilled it to what I got now, it sucked. Barely moves, got a balance hole placed to move the track a bit, and it did, but not enough, as I get dry track over the thumb on the left, so the bow is placed in a way that this happens.

As per another thread I made, I don't have a high tilt, but exactly what it is is hard without grease pencil, quarter scale or anything other proper stuff. I can try if I get the time today. But my rotation, PAP, speed and rpm is correct.

Since I forgot about this thread, I forgot to measure up my old dual angle too, so I will do that so you have something that doesn't just "look as X-Y-Z", but is X-Y-Z! :)