Ball and drilling suggestions

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

anlin
Preferred Company: Whatever strikes

Ball and drilling suggestions

Post by anlin »

I'm lookong for some drilling advice. I'm thinking of trying morich, but don't know what ball I sould get or what drilling I should put on it. My current favorite ball is Hammer Big Block diesel, drilled 130(!) x 6½" x 70. Works like a champ. Easy length and recovers nicely. Most of my arsenal reacts way too soon, so I'm looking for a ball that would push down the lane a bit better, but wouldn't go nuts on the backend.

My stats:

Speed: 17mph avg.
RPM: 450-520rpm (depending on the oil and line I'm playing)
PAP: 5½ over, 1 up
Axis tilt: very little... (track is very close to finger and thumb holes)
Axis rotation: about 45 degrees
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Ball and drilling suggestions

Post by Mo Pinel »

anlin wrote:I'm lookong for some drilling advice. I'm thinking of trying morich, but don't know what ball I sould get or what drilling I should put on it. My current favorite ball is Hammer Big Block diesel, drilled 130(!) x 6½" x 70. Works like a champ. Easy length and recovers nicely. Most of my arsenal reacts way too soon, so I'm looking for a ball that would push down the lane a bit better, but wouldn't go nuts on the backend.

My stats:

Speed: 17mph avg.
RPM: 450-520rpm (depending on the oil and line I'm playing)
PAP: 5½ over, 1 up
Axis tilt: very little... (track is very close to finger and thumb holes)
Axis rotation: about 45 degrees
Good info! This one is easy. The answer is FRENZY! Drilled 90 / 2 1/2 / 50. Use a P1 hole to calm it down, if necessary. The bigger the hole, the calmer the reaction. P1 holes kill the diffs. of the drilled ball. Polish, if necessary. Use Control It for max. skid.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
anlin

Post by anlin »

Thanks, Mo!

Your suggestion actually suprised me a bit. Isn't the Frenzy a very strong ball? Since my revrate is usually around 500, and my speed pretty slow at only 17mph, wouldn't the Frenzy be a bit too strong (I usually polish the crap out of my balls because our house puts out very little oil)? Why such a short pin to pap? Oh, and what kind of top weight and pin distance should I be looking for?
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I'm just curious by nature. I'm also really interested in learning different drillings and the effect of different drillings in ball reaction both through maths and theory and experiencing how different drillings on different balls react.

Thanks for your time, it is very much appreciated,
anlin
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

anlin wrote:Thanks, Mo!

Your suggestion actually suprised me a bit. Isn't the Frenzy a very strong ball? Since my revrate is usually around 500, and my speed pretty slow at only 17mph, wouldn't the Frenzy be a bit too strong (I usually polish the crap out of my balls because our house puts out very little oil)? Oh, and why such a short pin to pap?
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I'm just curious by nature. I'm also really interested in learning different drillings and the effect of different drillings in ball reaction both through maths and theory and experiencing how different drillings on different balls react.

Thanks for your time, it is very much appreciated,
anlin
The FRENZY is the longest skidding of our current balls. The 2 1/2" pin to PAP distance results in the ball retaining axis rotation longer and flaring less. Control It will skid the ball plenty and the balance hole in the PAP will decrease hook if it's needed.
anlin

Post by anlin »

Thanks again, that makes all the sense in the world now that I think about it. What top weight and pin distance would be good for the drilling you recommended?
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

anlin wrote:Thanks again, that makes all the sense in the world now that I think about it. What top weight and pin distance would be good for the drilling you recommended?
Top Weight: 2.5 to 3.5 oz (slightly less if necessary)
Pin distance: 2-3"

V-I-C-T-O-R-Y
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Mo Pinel wrote: V-I-C-T-O-R-Y
With Mo here, everyone is a winner.
anlin

Post by anlin »

MegaMav wrote: With Mo here, everyone is a winner.

Agreed!