Board index » General Forums » Layout Advice

Post subject: Low Flare
 Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:07 pm Post Number: #1 Post
Pro Shop

Reputation Power: 1
I don't know if this question can be posed quite easily, but I will try.

Lets say you have two symmetric balls. Both balls have a similar low RG. One has a low diff (0.020), and one with a medium diff (0.040). If you drill them with a 5-1/2 to 6" pin to PAP (and similar val angles), at some point, will the cover start to be a 99% factor in determining their characteristics. I think it probably can't be 100%.

I understand that all the factors, cover, RGs, surface, have an influence, but when you start getting to a point where flare is less than say an inch, is it mostly surface from there? All the other physical elements are just minor players.

Post subject: Re: Low Flare
 Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:15 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Mo Pinel

Reputation Power: 7
dR3w wrote:
I don't know if this question can be posed quite easily, but I will try.

Lets say you have two symmetric balls. Both balls have a similar low RG. One has a low diff (0.020), and one with a medium diff (0.040). If you drill them with a 5-1/2 to 6" pin to PAP (and similar val angles), at some point, will the cover start to be a 99% factor in determining their characteristics. I think it probably can't be 100%.

I understand that all the factors, cover, RGs, surface, have an influence, but when you start getting to a point where flare is less than say an inch, is it mostly surface from there? All the other physical elements are just minor players.

Time to understand the effect of both cores and covers on the ball gooing down the lane. It's a sliding scale. The closer to the foul line the ball is, the more the coverstock (including surface) dominates. The closer to the ball going off the pin deck, the more the core dominates. In the pin deck (going thru the pins), the cover is mostly insignificant. In the heads (the front of the lane), the core is mostly insignificant. As the ball travels down the lane the coverstock becomes less important and the core becomes more important. Hitting the pocket is mostly related to to the coverstock, but pin carry is mostly related to ball dynamics (core).

That ought to start something!

Board index » General Forums » Layout Advice