Mo, I've got a Gradient Line question.....

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Wuzlow
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5" by 5/8'' up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: NeXXus
Medium Oil Ball: Wicked Siege
Light Oil Ball: Damage
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Mo, I've got a Gradient Line question.....

Post by Wuzlow »

Mo, in the seminar you had in Lansing @ Royal Scott Lanes, you mentioned something about the PSA being below your thumb hole to draw the gradient line to a different spot from your PAP. I can't say that I remember completely, so I'd like to pick your brain a sec.

I just recently purchased the Evil Siege. I have the original and basically drilled the Evil the same, except with a smaller angle to the VAL for a quicker response off the dry. I placed a balance hole in the P3 position after throwing the ball to see what I can benefit from it. Needless to say, the reaction I achieved was exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately, I flair just over my P3. Can I move the hole to keep the reaction?

Was there a way to draw the line to a different spot than the PSA? I thought you said there was a way. Sorry for the book, but the seminar was so informative that I'm trying to learn all of it to better understand it, and use it. Thanks for your time!

Tom
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Mo, I've got a Gradient Line question.....

Post by Mo Pinel »

Wuzlow wrote:Mo, in the seminar you had in Lansing @ Royal Scott Lanes, you mentioned something about the PSA being below your thumb hole to draw the gradient line to a different spot from your PAP. I can't say that I remember completely, so I'd like to pick your brain a sec.

I just recently purchased the Evil Siege. I have the original and basically drilled the Evil the same, except with a smaller angle to the VAL for a quicker response off the dry. I placed a balance hole in the P3 position after throwing the ball to see what I can benefit from it. Needless to say, the reaction I achieved was exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately, I flair just over my P3. Can I move the hole to keep the reaction?

Was there a way to draw the line to a different spot than the PSA? I thought you said there was a way. Sorry for the book, but the seminar was so informative that I'm trying to learn all of it to better understand it, and use it. Thanks for your time!

Tom
The gradient line ALWAYS goes from the PAP to the PSA. The only comment I made about anything like that was about where the PSA of a symmetrical ball is after drilling and before the balance hole. In the case of the Evil Siege, draw a line from P3 to the center of the grip and move the hole towards the center of the grip just enough to not flare over it. This is a small compromise for bowler's who flare the hell out of the ball.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
TMack

Post by TMack »

Just to make sure we all understand the gragient line. The line on a symmetrical ball is from the PAP to the ASSUMED PSA. Correct? 6 3/4" on a line from PIN thru CG.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

TMack wrote:Just to make sure we all understand the gragient line. The line on a symmetrical ball is from the PAP to the ASSUMED PSA. Correct? 6 3/4" on a line from PIN thru CG.
When laying out the ball, YES! Smaller drilling angles will require bigger balance holes, which will move the real PSA of the drilled ball as close as possible to the assumed PSA used in the layout. Got it?
TMack

Post by TMack »

Mo Pinel wrote: When laying out the ball, YES! Smaller drilling angles will require bigger balance holes, which will move the real PSA of the drilled ball as close as possible to the assumed PSA used in the layout. Got it?
Got it !
I asked the same question on the OTHER forum and that is when MrBuzzsaw (with holding name...lol) got involved and started talking about moving the PSA all over the ball. I understood what he was saying, but it made no since on what i was asking. This is why when drilling a symmetrical ball it is best to use long pin's so you can drill bigger weight holes to really move the PSA closer to the desired location.
MathIsTruth
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
Preferred Company: MoRich/Radical

Post by MathIsTruth »

TMack wrote: ........started talking about moving the PSA all over the ball. I understood what he was saying, but it made no since on what i was asking. This is why when drilling a symmetrical ball it is best to use long pin's so you can drill bigger weight holes to really move the PSA closer to the desired location.
Just to clarify, the PSA will not "move all around the ball". The PSA will shift towards the balance hole location. The RG value of the balance hole axis will increase. This will correspond to a shift in the "ridge" of the RG contours, the Pin to Spin Line. The proximity of the adjusted PAP to the Pin to Spin line is rather important, for every type of ball!!
TMack

Post by TMack »

MathIsTruth wrote:Just to clarify, the PSA will not "move all around the ball". The PSA will shift towards the balance hole location. [/color]
Sorry, thats what i meant. Thanks !
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

TMack wrote: Got it !
I asked the same question on the OTHER forum and that is when MrBuzzsaw (with holding name...lol) got involved and started talking about moving the PSA all over the ball. I understood what he was saying, but it made no since on what i was asking. This is why when drilling a symmetrical ball it is best to use long pin's so you can drill bigger weight holes to really move the PSA closer to the desired location.
Bigger pin balls and somewhat smaller drilling angles so you will need a bigger balance hole to get the real PSA closer to the intended PSA.
Wuzlow
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5" by 5/8'' up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: NeXXus
Medium Oil Ball: Wicked Siege
Light Oil Ball: Damage
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by Wuzlow »

Thanks Mo! I thought that's was what you had said, but I just wanted to make sure. With that I appreciate the advice, and I will do so since I plugged the hole last night to put it else where. Thanks again!

Tom
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

If I have any doubt about whether the track will flare over a balance hole I mark the proposed location with a stack of three pieces of tape and have the customer throw it. You'll hear the "thump" if the track hits the tape, but also check the location of the closest flare ring. If it's within an inch or so, consider moving the location a little since the balance hole may increase the flare. -- JohnP
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

JohnP wrote:If I have any doubt about whether the track will flare over a balance hole I mark the proposed location with a stack of three pieces of tape and have the customer throw it. You'll hear the "thump" if the track hits the tape, but also check the location of the closest flare ring. If it's within an inch or so, consider moving the location a little since the balance hole may increase the flare. -- JohnP
Sounds good!