Axis Rotation

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Axis Rotation

Post by russelldean »

Ok guys. Its a little slow in here, as expected this time of year. How about some discussion on the importance of Rotation? A lot of my old school bowlers that learned to bowl pre resin, seem to have excessive rotation. Most of them are speed dominant, with low tilt. I like rotation when playing out on short patterns, and it obviously works well for high rev rate players going 30-10 and back. But how about these guys playing on medium to long patterns, where they are only playing 4-5 boards of hook? Wet/dry on the house shot, struggling to control break point, and ball motion. Lack of ball motion on sport conditions, never getting the ball to roll through the pins. These guys throw balls with large drilling angles due to their low tilt. Then when using a lot of ball surface, it seems to bring the lane surface more into play. Obviously speed and rev rate are factors. But for the speed dominant player, what are everyones thoughts on rotation range for 3-5 boards of ball movement? 6-8 boards?
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..
LookingForALeftyWall

Re: Axis Rotation

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

It's a good question. As a speed dominant lefty with high rotation who learned to bowl before resin, it is hard to get the ball to hook a lot on heavier sport shots. Instead of changing rotation, I decrease speed. The muscle memory of the release is harder for me to change than the tempo and pace of my feet.

That does not mean that I feel that's optimal for everyone. Walter Ray and Haugen Jr. have made a great living off of lower rotation and the "straighter is greater" mentality.
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

Lower the sums for sport shots. If you have a low tilt, high rotation bowler using the same equip for a THS and sport shot they're going to struggle with reaction on one or the other. Surface changes alone won't make up the gap imo. There's a good article in the Wiki for sport layouts. http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ng_Layouts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James Talley
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by russelldean »

Yes, softer speed allowing for more headbelly would help if possible. Some bowlers are better at changing hand positions then speed. Smaller sums and surface will help some, but not enough in my opinion.
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..