Core angle?

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
RevZiLLa
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Core angle?

Post by RevZiLLa »

I am admittedly spatially challenged when trying to visualize some things, but thinking about the Dual Angle Drilling Technique makes me wonder about core angle. It seems the drilling angle and the VAL angle define the angle of the core with respect to the release axis (pap is one end of it).

Is there any significance to that idea?
=======================================================
RevZ
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Core angle?

Post by Mo Pinel »

RevZiLLa wrote:I am admittedly spatially challenged when trying to visualize some things, but thinking about the Dual Angle Drilling Technique makes me wonder about core angle. It seems the drilling angle and the VAL angle define the angle of the core with respect to the release axis (pap is one end of it).

Is there any significance to that idea?
In traditional terminology, core angle refers to the core angle in relation to the axis of rotation in degrees. In drilling terminology, we refer to it as pin to PAP distance. The chart looks like this.

Core angle..........................................Pin to PAP distance
.....15*............................................................1 1/8"
.....30*............................................................2 1/4"
.....45*............................................................3 3/8"
.....60*............................................................4 1/2"
.....75*............................................................5 5/8"

Comprendez?
RevZiLLa
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by RevZiLLa »

I know that 3 3/8 corresponds to 45*, but I can't picture it. On the attached JPG are two pin positions, both on the 3 3/8 arc from the PAP. They each have a corresponding MB position and it seems the core would be at a different angle for each orientation.

Is my spatial problem that I am thinking on the surface of the ball instead of looking down into it? Maybe once the pin is positioned, the ball can be rotated on the pin and that would move the MB, but the core is still at the same angle regardless? That would eliminate the MB position confusion for me.

But, what about the two pin positions on the same 3 3/8 arc? Are they parallel at 45*?

To be clear, the Dual Angles do not change the angle of the core. I just need to learn to visualize things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RevZ
Graaille

Post by Graaille »

If I may, think about it like this. Put a white circle of tape on your pap, and put in on a spinner where the white circle is straight up. The pin will rotate around that white circle at a point of 3-3/8 inches - or 45 degrees from straight up. So no matter where the pin is placed 3-3/8 inches away from the PAP, it's still at a 45 degree angle from the PAP. However it is at a different angle from grip - perhaps that's where the mental disjunct is happening.
Last edited by Graaille on January 28th, 2010, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Back into Blogging: http://lifeasjasonharris.blogspot.com/ 80% Bowling, 100% me. (oh hold while working on several other projects -- sorry)

The Gathering 2k16, Winston Salem, NC, July 29-31. Just ask me for more info.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Graaille wrote:If I may, think about it like this. Put a white circle of tape on your pap, and put in on a spinner where the white circle is straight up. The pin will rotate around that white circle at a point of 3-3/8 inches - or 45 degrees from straight up. So no matter where the pin is placed 3-3/8 inches away from the PAP, it's still at a 45 degree angle from the PAP.
Good Visual!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
RevZiLLa
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by RevZiLLa »

Graaille wrote:If I may, think about it like this. Put a white circle of tape on your pap, and put in on a spinner where the white circle is straight up. The pin will rotate around that white circle at a point of 3-3/8 inches - or 45 degrees from straight up. So no matter where the pin is placed 3-3/8 inches away from the PAP, it's still at a 45 degree angle from the PAP.

THANK YOU!
RevZ
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

RevZiLLa wrote:I know that 3 3/8 corresponds to 45*, but I can't picture it. On the attached JPG are two pin positions, both on the 3 3/8 arc from the PAP. They each have a corresponding MB position and it seems the core would be at a different angle for each orientation.

Is my spatial problem that I am thinking on the surface of the ball instead of looking down into it? Maybe once the pin is positioned, the ball can be rotated on the pin and that would move the MB, but the core is still at the same angle regardless? That would eliminate the MB position confusion for me.

But, what about the two pin positions on the same 3 3/8 arc? Are they parallel at 45*?

To be clear, the Dual Angles do not change the angle of the core. I just need to learn to visualize things.
The core angle is the angle between the x-axis (the low RG axis, also the pin) and the axis of rotation of the ball at release in a three dimensional plane, not two dimensional.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

RevZiLLa wrote:
THANK YOU!
By the way, Margaret can probably help you with this.
Graaille

Post by Graaille »

RevZiLLa wrote:
THANK YOU!
NP, I can think in 3 dimensions, but my work forces me to learn how to make complex issues simple.
Back into Blogging: http://lifeasjasonharris.blogspot.com/ 80% Bowling, 100% me. (oh hold while working on several other projects -- sorry)

The Gathering 2k16, Winston Salem, NC, July 29-31. Just ask me for more info.