Tilt and/or axis rotation & how it affects your ball layout

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
ABSolut
Preferred Company: Seismic

Tilt and/or axis rotation & how it affects your ball layout

Post by ABSolut »

This may have a simple answer, but I would like a good explanation to help clarify my current way of thinking. I'm thoroughly enjoying learning the game from the scientific side of bowling. I'm a student, and self taught, though I have met some of the brightest minds in bowling I know and appreciate all that they have provided me. I have a hard time getting in my own way when it comes to understanding some things...or I can over analyze something that may not need that in depth of thinking.

Drilling a bowling ball based on accurate deliver specs is one thing, but is there more of a general form of thinking when it comes to how a ball should be released based on that drilling? I have a terrible habit of making tilt and rotation adjustments, finger placement adjustments as well, while bowling during league. All basically trying to achieve a certain reaction when something is not working for me at the time. I'll use a ball I have for example:

Symmetrical
drilled 45° x 5.5 x 35°
the cover on the ball is fairly weak, and pearl, yet the core was designed to provide more angle at the end of the pattern. For use on medium conditions.

As I have learned from you guys...symmetrical bowling balls with longer pin to PAPs, are more inclined to flair less but have more side roll for a later break point. With that known...is it better to match your release to the reaction the ball is supposed to provide (and I will keep it in terms of staying behind the ball or coming around it)? It's been my fault over my years of bowling, as I have learned so much and my overall game has evolved (from playing straighter to being able to play the entire lanes) yet I have the desire to be so versatile that I truly do not have a dominant or go to A game hand position. I have thrown my current equipment for my driller to get delivery specs...but that does not mean I won't throw it a different way when I'm in league based on what I'm seeing on the lanes. I guess what I'm trying to get at is if whether how one drills a ball initially could potentially hurt them if they add too much/too little tilt/axis rotation based on what it was drilled to do in the first place. It would help me in my way of thinking....if I better knew which pieces in my bag to not try a hand position with. Like the ball above....my thinking may be wrong, but I feel that with the layout numbers and what I know they are supposed to do...I should stay behind the ball more at release to avoid adding more skid or side roll to the anticipated reaction. Is that wrong to make that type of assumption? Would this hold true vise versa for a ball that is laid out to produce more forward roll (In my way of thinking, I would get around the ball more to prevent the ball from rolling too soon because the layout already takes care of this)? Or do I have this all backwards and whatever you have the ball laid out to do you should equally match the release to it (ball designed to provide bowler with side roll....apply a release in which you get around it or increase your tilt to match the reaction and same for forward rolling equipment)?

Thanks for any feedback you all can provide me as clarity is what I'm seeking.
Akil B. Staves

Right handed
PAP: 4" over, 5/8 down
Speed: 16.5-17 mph at the monitor
Rev Rate: ~ 325-350
Initial Axis Rotation: ~40-45°
Initial Axis Tilt: ~20-23°
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: Tilt and/or axis rotation & how it affects your ball lay

Post by JohnP »

My opinion: lay most balls out for your A game release, then change the release as needed to match lane conditions. Exception - you may need a "specialty" ball for extreme conditions where you know you'll have to modify your release to have a shot. -- JohnP
ABSolut
Preferred Company: Seismic

Re: Tilt and/or axis rotation & how it affects your ball lay

Post by ABSolut »

Thanks JP...I guess I was looking for whether or not it is okay to think in terms of:

EX.
Symmetrical Ball A is drilled to produce more forward roll sooner (short pin to PAP)

A. Release the ball with lower tilt and desired rotation to match the forward rolling nature

B. Release the ball with higher tilt and desired rotation to counter the forward rolling nature

C. Release the ball however you release it and accept the fact that the ball will be more forward rolling in nature and play the lanes to take advantage of this reaction.

Should one ever think in terms of, because I laid this ball out to produce more forward roll...never release it to do something it is not designed to do (say really tilting the ball and applying a very high axis rotation at the same time)? Do you not want to go against the strength of the balls' intended reaction or does this logic apply to helping a person who has higher tilt and axis rotation to get into that forward roll sooner
Akil B. Staves

Right handed
PAP: 4" over, 5/8 down
Speed: 16.5-17 mph at the monitor
Rev Rate: ~ 325-350
Initial Axis Rotation: ~40-45°
Initial Axis Tilt: ~20-23°