Grease Monkey

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Bahshay

Re: Grease Monkey

Post by Bahshay »

Gizmo823 wrote:Only on an internet forum will someone argue drilling technology with Mo Pinel . . if he says it works, and you say it doesn't or it's "marketing," you're doing something wrong. Yeah, you never want to just always believe everything you hear, but consider the source and use a bit of logic. I'm not brown-nosing here, but man I'm sick of seeing so many "average joes" arguing with and disrespecting people that clearly know what they're doing or talking about. If something isn't working for them or they don't understand it, it can't be their fault, it's gotta be the expert who doesn't know what they're talking about? Not everything has an every day use, some layouts, some things like the MOtion hole or DT have specific uses for specific conditions or situations, and some have even more niche uses than that. These things all work, they're all applicable, and they're all successful given that you're using them in the right situation. A 10 inch straw won't work well for a 10 inch tall cup, but it'll work great for an 8 inch tall cup. Common sense here people.

And continuation is a very valid, identifiable, and descriptive facet of ball motion.
While I understand your point, I don't agree with it.

A few years ago, MoRich strictly produced asymmetricals.
A year or two ago, the P1 position was the PAP.
Just a few months ago, Mo still gave symmetrical layouts in dual angle terminology.

Obviously I'm not meaning to call out Mo here. He is a Hall of Famer when it comes to the advancement of bowling technology and no one on here would argue with me saying he is the smartest bowling mind on this forum. That doesn't mean we shouldn't question him... his own philosophical changes are evidence that he doesn't stop questioning himself. Everyone here is capable of learning something, even the brightest in the industry.

(Note: The statements above are meant as a generality, not as a response to the specific topic being discussed in this thread.)
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

Bahshay wrote:Obviously I'm not meaning to call out Mo here. He is a Hall of Famer when it comes to the advancement of bowling technology and no one on here would argue with me saying he is the smartest bowling mind on this forum. That doesn't mean we shouldn't question him... his own philosophical changes are evidence that he doesn't stop questioning himself. Everyone here is capable of learning something, even the brightest in the industry.
TOTAL agreement. Never stop questioning authority. If one is curious in finding TRUTH one can not avoid questioning. Our world would be very, very different if classical physics was not questioned. Mo, as the authority, should welcome questioning as he has questioned authority continuously over the years. Progress has been made on the shoulders of Bunetta, Taylor, Kouros, Hall among many others. The key is to have a non egotistical based rational dialogue of both closed ended and open ended questioning that results in a dialectical process which reveals an emerging higher level TRUTH that can move in both horizontal and vertical levels. Reality: after Mo, there will be another "Pinel" who stands on his shoulders. The goal is to overcome our incompleteness in the pursuit of TRUTH. Mo stands on the shoulders of those who came before him. He has pushed the envelope which has shown how naked and incomplete we were in our understanding of bowling before his research but since he keeps expanding his reality of the understanding of bowling in general and ball motion in particular we should realize that he has not reached TRUTH-in-and-of-itself yet but has offered increased possibilities of obtaining an insight to a higher order of reality. If this process should stop, the second law of thermodynamics would dominate leading to a "heat death" reality. KEEP QUESTIONING as it is the mark of a curious mind and the foundation for a free and progressive society.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
Gizmo823

Post by Gizmo823 »

It's one thing to question . . but that's not what goes on. People start attacking or getting condescending, with zero respect for who they're doing it to. It's the attitude, not the questioning that I have the issue with. Somebody sees something they think is contradictory, so they pounce on it and get up on their soapbox. Question him, sure, I agree with what you said, but I really take offense to the disrespect. Sounds like teenagers "questioning" their parents, except that's not really what happens. There's a much more constructive, productive way to go about discussions like this, and it's completely typical of bowlers to want to sling mud, and I suppose I'm just really sick of seeing it.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

Gizmo823 wrote:It's one thing to question . . but that's not what goes on. People start attacking or getting condescending, with zero respect for who they're doing it to. It's the attitude, not the questioning that I have the issue with. Somebody sees something they think is contradictory, so they pounce on it and get up on their soapbox. Question him, sure, I agree with what you said, but I really take offense to the disrespect. Sounds like teenagers "questioning" their parents, except that's not really what happens. There's a much more constructive, productive way to go about discussions like this, and it's completely typical of bowlers to want to sling mud, and I suppose I'm just really sick of seeing it.
TOTALLY agree. Your observation is valid and it is why I wrote
guruU2 wrote:The key is to have a non egotistical based rational dialogue of both closed ended and open ended questioning that results in a dialectical process which reveals an emerging higher level TRUTH that can move in both horizontal and vertical levels
If the PBA ever develops a class of highly trained Bowling Professionals, much like the PGA did, this non and counter productive attitude and small minded behavior that you object to can be minimized.

The Grease Monkey has GREAT potential- don't you think?
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
Havok061187
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 3/4 up
Speed: 18 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Storm, Radical

Post by Havok061187 »

[youtube][/youtube]
right-handed
PAP: 4 1/2 over 3/4 up
18mph off hand
275 rpm
12* tilt
65* rotation
Bahshay

Post by Bahshay »

Havok061187 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Great video. This ball is very tempting.

Two questions at the bowlersdeals videos in general though:
1. Is the second bowler's AR really 35? It just doesn't look like it to me, in spin or reaction.
2. Is there a reason Devaney hasn't been in any of the recent BowlersDeals vids for Radical? I assume he is still on staff?
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
Gizmo823

Post by Gizmo823 »

Exactly!
guruU2 wrote: TOTALLY agree. Your observation is valid and it is why I wrote
If the PBA ever develops a class of highly trained Bowling Professionals, much like the PGA did, this non and counter productive attitude and small minded behavior that you object to can be minimized.

The Grease Monkey has GREAT potential- don't you think?
Gizmo823

Post by Gizmo823 »

I'm not really sure I see 60 AR out of the first guy either, I see the 10 degrees of tilt, but his AR looks closer to 45. Interestingly enough, the rolls from the first and second guy almost look identical, the first guy just revs it up more. I think DeVaney is sick of getting "trolled." If you go back and look at several of the videos that he actually bowled in and go down to the comments, there are several like "Well if he threw strikes every time he'd be winning on the PBA," or he's gotten a lot of flak for his style being "professional" on the in video stats graphic. I'd be pissed if I was him too.
Bahshay wrote: Great video. This ball is very tempting.

Two questions at the bowlersdeals videos in general though:
1. Is the second bowler's AR really 35? It just doesn't look like it to me, in spin or reaction.
2. Is there a reason Devaney hasn't been in any of the recent BowlersDeals vids for Radical? I assume he is still on staff?
MathIsTruth
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
Preferred Company: MoRich/Radical

Post by MathIsTruth »

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... ltball.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guessing AR on a sphere can be deceiving. I thought the overlay may help with visualizing so I added the link above and picture below.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

MathIsTruth wrote:http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... ltball.JPG

Guessing AR on a sphere can be deceiving. I thought the overlay may help with visualizing so I added the link above and picture below.

Effective!!!!!!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
MrStrike
Preferred Company: Hammer storm

Post by MrStrike »

Best ball I've thrown. I've been bowling for 3 years and have had 3 hammer balls( first blood, taboo, arson) ton of Storm stuff( wrecker, iq, hyroad pearl, virtual gravity. The grease monkey worked the best for me on the house shot. So smooth and predictable, saves up so much energy, I can't believe how much I like it. I never write these reviews but I felt I had to let people know how much I have enjoyed this ball. My team threw it for 1 game and ordered one lol. This ball did something else for me, it showed me that you don't need a ton of hook on a ball on a house shot, and that's what I usually based my balls on. So glad I gave this ball a shot. Thanks Radical. I'll let you guys sponsor me if you want.
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Post by Qman »

Since I will be moving to a 12 or 13# ball I'm thinking of drilling up a Monkey next season. With my specs what would be a good layout for the Monkey on my 41ft med. house league shot? Last week I also went more up the boards than trying to swing it with my Yeti and had better success.Trying to go back to the down and in game to keep it simple. What do you think Mo?
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor
duvallite

Core for 13lb. Grease Monkeys

Post by duvallite »

In another thread, someone mentioned that they thought the core in a 13lb. Grease Monkey is different than the ones in the higher weights, maybe not having the scoop cut-out. Can anyone verify this, and if it is different, then in what way?

Also, I had emailed Radical about this, but have not heard anything back yet.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Re: Core for 13lb. Grease Monkeys

Post by Mo Pinel »

duvallite wrote:In another thread, someone mentioned that they thought the core in a 13lb. Grease Monkey is different than the ones in the higher weights, maybe not having the scoop cut-out. Can anyone verify this, and if it is different, then in what way?

Also, I had emailed Radical about this, but have not heard anything back yet.
All 12# and 13# Brunswick manufactured balls (Brunswick, DV8, Radical) use a generic .040" total diff. Danger Zone type core. The balls do have the same coverstock as the 14# thru 16# balls. I recommend using the symmetrical drilling suggestions for these balls. I hope this clarifies the issues.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

I would like to remind the people of bowlingchat that research in the ball design department is always ongoing. Therefore, from time to time, you will see updates to techniques based on newly verified information. We are much closer to understanding the effects of technology on ball motion, but we're not completely there yet. For example, the update on the Gradient Line balance hole technique that was published a couple of years ago and the use of symmetrical drilling techniques that don't strictly adhere to Dual Angle drilling techniques because of our understanding of the importance of balance hole location and size on the resulting ball motion of symmetrical balls.
duvallite

Re: Core for 13lb. Grease Monkeys

Post by duvallite »

Mo Pinel wrote: All 12# and 13# Brunswick manufactured balls (Brunswick, DV8, Radical) use a generic .040" total diff. Danger Zone type core. The balls do have the same coverstock as the 14# thru 16# balls. I recommend using the symmetrical drilling suggestions for these balls. I hope this clarifies the issues.
Mo,

Wanted to let you know that I finally received a response from Radical (actually Phil Cardinale) about my "core" question for a 13lb. Grease Monkey as compared to the higher weight ones. His two word response was "Same Core". I'm going to go with your answer (Danger Zone type core) unless I hear differently. Thanks.
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

back on the original topic, i got my first Radical ball this week in Melbourne, a 15lb Grease Monkey! i layed it out with a control drilling for my ball roll and can't wait to see how it goes. very exciting, plus no one else will have one, which is their loss.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

Just a quick update, the ball is rolling great and I am loving how predictable it is, plus it is turning a few heads with its looks and hitting power!
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

deanchamp wrote:Just a quick update, the ball is rolling great and I am loving how predictable it is, plus it is turning a few heads with its looks and hitting power!
Thanks, mate!