Cores for different sides of the lane

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
TheBatman
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2 over 1/2 up
Speed: 19 off my hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 30
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm lucid and Manic. Motiv Cruel LE. Track 919C and Rising
Medium Oil Ball: Roto grip shatter. Track 508A and 718A
Light Oil Ball: Storm natural
Preferred Company: Storm,Morich,Motiv

Cores for different sides of the lane

Post by TheBatman »

Seems to me creating a weight block that is universal, for both left and right handed people, is a very limiting factor. Why hasnt any company created a weight block specifically for the hand a person throws with? Seems somewhat simple. Create a weight block that works for a right handed person then, flip it the other way for left handed people. On asymmetric cores anyway. for symmetrical cores, you could simply offset the core to one side or the other inside the ball. I think this could open up a whole new aspect of the sport. Not to mention eliminating a host of design limitations. I do remember years ago, a hammer ball that came with a warning, " for right handed bowlers only " . Not clear if this was deliberate or if this was a manufacturing flaw and it marketed for righties. A new set of rules governing static weights would have to be odopted most likely.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Cores for different sides of the lane

Post by MegaMav »

If you offset a symmetrical ball its no longer symmetric.
Lefty/Righty ball you're thinking of is the JPF Axe.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

What percentage of balls should manufactures dedicate to the left side?
Binkster
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4 rt and 3/4 up
Speed: 17-18 off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50
Preferred Company: Hammer & Radical

Post by Binkster »

TomaHawk wrote:What percentage of balls should manufactures dedicate to the left side?
NONE :lol:
Binkster
Speed = 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate = 300-350
Tilt = ~20-24*
AR = 45-55
PAP = 4 3/4 rt and 3/4 up

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him" - James D. Miles
TheBatman

Post by TheBatman »

The hammer ball I'm thinking of was a limited run in the " No Mercy " line. It was blue. Can't remember the name of the ball, but it was labeled as being for right handlers only. I don't lnow if it was designed that way or manufacturing flaw.

Percentage for lefty? Don't know that, just saying a ball company could design a ball to have specific a characteristic without regard to it being universal. Taking into account, gyroscopic inertia and the right hand rule, a company would be without limitations. Design the weight block, get the motion they're looking for, then flip it the other way for people using a different hand. Right now, when a weight block is designed it must be a universal fit. It has work for both left and right haned people. Seems to me if the universal fittment is eliminated, a designer is free to design any shape they want.

From a manufacturing standpoint, this would be very costly indeed. Something new is needed to keep this sport alive. Companies are recycling 5,6 even 7 year old cores and cover stocks. As an example, look at storms lineup, the only innovation in their lineup is the Sync. EVERY other ball is nothing but recycled cores and covers. They work, but without new innovations, people will grow tired of throwing the same old thing. Year after year after year after...... Same ball ( black widow ) new name ( taboo black) For another example.
TheBatman

Post by TheBatman »

The ball in question was the Hammer NoMercy WhupN. It's an offset core for right handers. Lefty could use it, but without the big aggresive backend and hitting power.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

Correct about the No Mercy! All the cores I design work equally well from both sides.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Binkster
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4 rt and 3/4 up
Speed: 17-18 off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50
Preferred Company: Hammer & Radical

Post by Binkster »

Mo Pinel wrote:Correct about the No Mercy! All the cores I design work equally well from both sides.
Mo - please see my PM - I really need your help with my MOholed YETI

Bink
Binkster
Speed = 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate = 300-350
Tilt = ~20-24*
AR = 45-55
PAP = 4 3/4 rt and 3/4 up

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him" - James D. Miles
Plamormick
Positive Axis Point: over 5 1/8", up 3/8"
Speed: 16.4 mph at pins
Axis Tilt: 13*
Heavy Oil Ball: MOTIV Raptor, RG Alliance Tour
Medium Oil Ball: MOTIV Sigma Tour, Storm Victory Road
Light Oil Ball: MOTIV Recon RX1o, MOTIV Primal
Preferred Company: MOTIV

Post by Plamormick »

TheBatman wrote:Companies are recycling 5,6 even 7 year old cores and cover stocks. As an example, look at storms lineup, the only innovation in their lineup is the Sync. EVERY other ball is nothing but recycled cores and covers. They work, but without new innovations, people will grow tired of throwing the same old thing. Year after year after year after...... Same ball ( black widow ) new name ( taboo black) For another example.
LOL
Not to disagree, but Storm doesn't seem to be suffering in sales volume. *chuckle*
It is called Marketing.
Watch what they do with the new Freakin' Frantic.
A Fringe with new, brighter colors.
Which was a 2Fast with new, brighter colors.
Oh, and a new scent. Can't forget the effect of smell on ball motion. lol (/sarcasm)

I jest, but really, there are only a handful of new innovations in the past few years. I mean REAL innovation.

The Yeti appears to be a ball that is new.
But within RA limitations, as well as Rg Min, Max, Intermediate Diff limitations, there are just so many things one can do in a 9" sphere rolling down a 63 1/2' lane.

Close to the ceiling at this point.

Maybe rubber will make a comeback; look what has happened with polys and urethane! lol
Proprietor, Pla-Mor Bowl
Operator, Lane 13 Pro Shop
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Plamormick wrote: LOL
Not to disagree, but Storm doesn't seem to be suffering in sales volume. *chuckle*
It is called Marketing.
Watch what they do with the new Freakin' Frantic.
A Fringe with new, brighter colors.
Which was a 2Fast with new, brighter colors.
Oh, and a new scent. Can't forget the effect of smell on ball motion. lol (/sarcasm)

I jest, but really, there are only a handful of new innovations in the past few years. I mean REAL innovation.

The Yeti appears to be a ball that is new.
But within RA limitations, as well as Rg Min, Max, Intermediate Diff limitations, there are just so many things one can do in a 9" sphere rolling down a 63 1/2' lane.

Close to the ceiling at this point.

Maybe rubber will make a comeback; look what has happened with polys and urethane! lol
There is still lots more things to come. Computers have given us the ability to measure and analyze data much more accurately than in the past. You're correct in the fact the the Yeti is something new. It's the very beginning of the new technology, all covered by the Offset patent. The Yeti is a symmetrical ball that can be made to roll like either a symmetrical , or asymmetrical, ball by your choice of drilling technique. Take advantage of that feature. You'll enjoy it a lot. Asyms. still will yield the strongest intermediate diffs. in drilled balls, which means they will respond quicker to friction. There's always new cover technology being developed, also.
TheBatman

Post by TheBatman »

This wasn't a dig anyone or company for that matter. I think storm makes great equipment, I have many in my arsenal. As a tournament player, it doesn't really matter to me if the ball I'm using is old or new, as long as it works. I bowl in many different houses in my area and have heard a lot of discussion about companies releasing old balls with new names. Most comments come from once a week league bowlers looking for something new. The tourney bowler wanting the latest and greatest so called " magic bullet ". For me, I'm waiting, wanting, for the next revolution. Like the way reactive resin changed the game. In my area bowling participation is down in most houses around here, to see a large, front runner company like Storm recycle cores and covers makes me worry about this sport I love. CBS signing on to air some shows gives me hope

A core for a righty, one for lefty, just an idea I threw out there. Not sure if it's even feasible. For sure, not practacle.

Mo, I certainly appreciate the work, innovation, you put into your balls. I will throw anything with your name attached. I currently have 18 morich balls. The EzRev core is one of my favorites! And because of your equipment, I have a love for dull pearl covers. Hhmm... A Reax with a strong dull pearl? Sounds perfect.......
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

TheBatman wrote:This wasn't a dig anyone or company for that matter. I think storm makes great equipment, I have many in my arsenal. As a tournament player, it doesn't really matter to me if the ball I'm using is old or new, as long as it works. I bowl in many different houses in my area and have heard a lot of discussion about companies releasing old balls with new names. Most comments come from once a week league bowlers looking for something new. The tourney bowler wanting the latest and greatest so called " magic bullet ". For me, I'm waiting, wanting, for the next revolution. Like the way reactive resin changed the game. In my area bowling participation is down in most houses around here, to see a large, front runner company like Storm recycle cores and covers makes me worry about this sport I love. CBS signing on to air some shows gives me hope

A core for a righty, one for lefty, just an idea I threw out there. Not sure if it's even feasible. For sure, not practacle.

Mo, I certainly appreciate the work, innovation, you put into your balls. I will throw anything with your name attached. I currently have 18 morich balls. The EzRev core is one of my favorites! And because of your equipment, I have a love for dull pearl covers. Hhmm... A Reax with a strong dull pearl? Sounds perfect.......
Yes it does!