measure Ballspeed using Kinovea

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Nsane
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/16 - 7/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13°
Axis Rotation: 55°
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Tenacity, Radical Tremendous
Medium Oil Ball: Guru mighty,
Light Oil Ball: Motiv venom cobra
Preferred Company: Radical

measure Ballspeed using Kinovea

Post by Nsane »

Hi bowlers,

i have a easy way to measure the Ballspeed of my Studens. I use the freeware "Kinovea" http://www.kinovea.org/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It`s a "free" Motionanalysing Software.

The Recording!

On the Lane I place marks (Thumbtapes or other coloured Tapes) at 5 and 15 Foot. Then I let the People play and record it from high above using a Stand placed between the 2 Marks.

After recording, i load the videoclip on my laptop and open it with Kinovea.
I start the clip and stop it when the ball is reaching the first Mark (5').
Now i Set a cutmarker. Now i let the video run further to the second Mark and stop again. I set a second Cutmarker. Now the videoclip is shortn to the marks 5' to 15'. On the statusbar you can read the cliplength wich is identical with your Ballspeed for 10 feet. Mulitplie this with 6 (10 feet * 6 = 60 feet)
For example : cliptime = 0,5 Seconds * 6 = 3 Seconds.

PS: to ajust the right point of reaching the Marks you can pick the start and endmarkers with the mouse and move it to the correct position.

Now you go online to: http://www.csgnetwork.com/bowlingballcalc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; type your result (3.0) in and now you have your Ballspeed in mph. In this case its 13.636 mph.

Pretty easy and absolut free

Nsane
C-Level coach Germany
Ducati what else?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nice people press +